PET scan safe?

tenten
tenten Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My dad is scheduled for a PET/CT scan tomorrow...just heard radioactive material is used for the scan. Is it safe? Has anyone had any ill effects? Thanks.

Comments

• nhs76
    nhs76 Member Posts: 2
    My mom had her 1st PET scan about two weeks ago and hasn't had any negative effects up to this point.
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    nhs76 said:

My mom had her 1st PET scan about two weeks ago and hasn't had any negative effects up to this point.

I had three PET scans over the course of my diagnosis and treatment. (NSCLC, stage 3b) To my knowledge I have had no ill effects from it. I'm 4 years out from surgery.
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    nhs76 said:

I had three PET scans over the course of my diagnosis and treatment. (NSCLC, stage 3b) To my knowledge I have had no ill effects from it. I'm 4 years out from surgery.
  • jalexander
    jalexander Member Posts: 31
    I have had 4 PET scans since December 2002 with no ill effects. I'm a 44 year old male NSCLC 3B survivor. 2.5 years post op and still cancer free. Get the scan, it's the best tool available to my knowledge.