new to this!

urkabsd
urkabsd Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH RENAL CELL OF THE LEFT KIDNEY IN FEB. OF THIS YEAR. I HAVE HAD A BONE SCAN, AND ULTRA SOUNDS OF LIVER, SPLEEN, RIGHT KIDNEY, BLADDER AND PELVIC AREA. ALSO SEVERAL MRIS AND OTHER CT SCANS. THEY REMOVED MY LEFT KIDNEY MARCH OF THIS YEAR. I HAD THE OLD SURGERY WITH A HUGE INCISION. THEY ALSO TOOK OUT MY RIB AND LYMPH NODES. I WAS TOLD THAT IT HAD NOT SPREAD TO MY LUMP NODES. I AM 58 AND WAS NOT IN THE BEST OF HEALTH BEFORE ALL THIS HAPPEMNED. IT HAS TAKEN ME A LONG TIME TO RECCUPERATE. I WAS FEELING SO MUCH BETTER WHEN I DEVELOPED A PAIN IN MY LEFT SIDE AND A BULGE. I WAS TOLD IT WAS NOT A HERNIA BUT POST SURGERY MUSCLE. IT REALLY HURTS WHEN I STAND OR SIT FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME BUT NOT OTHER WISE. I HAD A FRIEND WHO WAS DIAGNOSED 3 MONTHS BEFORE ME, WE HAD EXACTLY THE SAME TESTS ETC. EXCEPT THAT SHE DID HAVE A PET SCAN THAT SHOWED NOTHING. SHE ALSO DEVELOPED A BULGE BUT IT WAS IN HER INCISION. SHE WAS TOLD IT WAS A HERNIA WHEN THEY WENT IN TO REPAIR IT, THEY SIMPLY CLOSED HER UP AND SAID IT WAS EVERYWHERE, THE CANCER. SHE DIED LAST MONTH, JUST 5 MONTHS AFTER SURGERY AND BEING TOLD SHE WAS DOING GREAT. IT HAS UPSET ME SO BADLY. EVERYONE SO FAR IN THIS AREA I HAVE KNOWN ABOUT HAS NOT SURVIVED THIS SURGERY. I HAD A CAT SCAN LAST WEEK BECAUSE OF THIS PAIN BUT MY DOCTOR IS ON VACATION AND THE ONLY THING THEY WOULD TELL ME WAS THAT MY ARENAL GLAND WAS ENLARGED SLIGHTY AND THERE WAS A LOT OF INFLAMMATION IN MY STOMACH AND I AM TRYING VERY HARD NOT TO BE TERRIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY BLOOD WORK WAS FINE BUT MY BLOOD WORK DONE IN A COMPLETE PHYSICAL 1 MONTH BEFORE THEY DISCOVERED MY 9 MM TUMOR WAS FINE ALSO. I WOULD LOVE TO PLEASE HEAR FROM ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS HAD A SIMILIAR PROBLEM. THEY TOLD ME THAT ALTHOUGH TECHNICALLY I WAS A STAGE 2, IT WAS ONLY BECAUSE THE SIZE OF MY TUMOR WAS .2 PAST STAGE ONE AND THAT I SHOULOD HAVE BASICALLY THE SAME GOOD RESULTS AS A TYPE I. PLESE LET ME HEAR FROM YOU OUT THERE!

Comments

• Chicago
    Chicago Member Posts: 73 Member
    Hey UR,

I don't know what happened with your friend, but just because you had a few things in common with her, it doesn't mean that her case was anything like yours.

Stage two is usually early enough to beat the cancer. The growth they took out of me was three times larger than yours, and I'm doing fine almost 3 years later.

I should also tell you that I was only 35 when I had the surgery, and otherwise in great health, and it STILL took me a while to recover. Huge incision -- just like you -- and the rib removed as well. I was barely able to get out of bed the first month, and it was at least another month before I was functional.

It was also a full three months after surgery before the spot (huge bulge too) where the rib was removed stopped hurting like hell. And another six months before the muscles that they cut through stopped spasming painfully (still happened once in a while for another six months). The area still gets very sore and stiff if I stand or sit for long periods, or otherwise exert myself a lot.

Keep pestering your docs for answers, but it sounds like you may be feeling some normal things from our surgery.
  • It sounds like your tumor was 9 cm, not 9 mm. There is an email discussion group just for kidney cancer. Join it at http://cancerguide.org/kofaq/ .
  • urkabsd
    unknown said:

It sounds like your tumor was 9 cm, not 9 mm. There is an email discussion group just for kidney cancer. Join it at http://cancerguide.org/kofaq/ .

you are right, typo. cm. i have tried to go to the site you wrote about but it will not let me subscribe. i don't have a computer at home and i am using the one near us at the library. i am trying to find out where the really good kidney cancer treatment centers are. i live in a very small town and there is just much info out here.
  • urkabsd
    unknown said:

It sounds like your tumor was 9 cm, not 9 mm. There is an email discussion group just for kidney cancer. Join it at http://cancerguide.org/kofaq/ .

hi, trish, you are right, cm, not mm. typo. i am trying to find out about kidney cancer treatment centers. i live on a rural farm in south georgia and there is not much here. can't seem to get a lot of info except on the computer. i tried to get onto the website you wrote about it, but it would not let me subscribe, will try again tommorrow. it sounds very exciting. i do not have a computer at home, i am using the one near our home at the library.
  • urkabsd said:

hi, trish, you are right, cm, not mm. typo. i am trying to find out about kidney cancer treatment centers. i live on a rural farm in south georgia and there is not much here. can't seem to get a lot of info except on the computer. i tried to get onto the website you wrote about it, but it would not let me subscribe, will try again tommorrow. it sounds very exciting. i do not have a computer at home, i am using the one near our home at the library.

If you call the kidney cancer association at (800) 850-9132 they will give you the names of doctors near you who have experience in treating kidney cancer.

You can also join the kidney cancer discussion list at http://listserv.acor.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ACOR.EXE?SUBED1=kidney-onc&A=1 . If you still have trouble, notify the listowners by email at kidney-onc-request@listserv.acor.org .

More information about kidney cancer is available at http://www.cancerguide.org/kidney.html .
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator