New to Everything

bubbams
bubbams Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi. Diagnosed with lung cancer (adenocarcinoma) 10/27/04. 2 Mets Liver. Just finished chemo. Partial remission. 1 tumor remaining in liver. 43 years old. 6 year old (only) son. I looked so forward to finishing chemo - remission. I thought I would get my "old" life back. Fat chance, huh? I must start over (at my age)and learn a whole new lifestyle - it's hard. I should be grateful, but somehow I feel lost and sad and more hopeless than I did the day I was diagnosed stage IV and given 7 to 9 months. The only thing I know at this point - is that work and home demands more than ever, only I'm not up to it yet? Will I get there? I don't have a clue.

Comments

• jalexander
    jalexander Member Posts: 31
    Hang in there and keep a positive attitude. I am a 44 year old male and a 2 year NSC Lung Cancer stage 3B survivor. I'm only 1 step below you. I have a 13 year old son that was 11 when I was diagnosed so I know what you're feeling and I feel your pain.

No, you're not going to get your old life back. Whether you did or did not get cancer, every day that goes by is different than your "old life" from the day before, the week before or the 10 years before. You just might get a better life depending on your outlook. At least there's a new appreciation for those around you and you will cherish the time you have with others.

I hope you feel you must make the most of every day with your son. Going forward with that attitude will make the best memories of you for your son and for those around you. And who know, you just might beat this thing for a year, 2 years, 10 years, or who knows how long. Miracles do happen. I feel like I'm one of them.

If you need someone to talk to you can post here or email me at this website. I'll respond with my personal email address if you want to correspond. I hope I wasn't too blunt. Good Luck and keep looking forward, not backwards.
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi, I'm a 3 1/2 year survivor of nsclc, stage IIIa. Like most of us, I too had to adopt a change in my lifestyle. Sometimes it's been hard to accept, but in my mind, it sure beats the alternative. If the demands seem larger, do what you can, but try to accept and work around these new limitations. I was worried that family and friends would think less of me when they became aware of my limitations. I was wrong. They thought more highly of me for what I had accomplished by surviving cancer. jalexander is right on with his comments. Best wishes, - hang in there!
  • midgep
    midgep Member Posts: 3
    Yep, know just how you feel. That feeling comes and goes for me. I am a 3a NSCLC. But, life does go on and the only thing that makes this diagnosis tolerable sometimes is just "time".
    Hang in there my friend.
  • michaelcie
    michaelcie Member Posts: 133
    hi , I have small cell lung cancer and am in remission, but not cured, I too have changed livestyles, but am soooo glad to be alive and wake every day with a positive outlook. Just never give up, they could not operate on me , so I received four chemos and six and a half weeks of rads five times a week to chest, side and back.Just never give up and look ahead, never back!! Will keep pulling for you Mike
  • DonAdams
    DonAdams Member Posts: 5

hi , I have small cell lung cancer and am in remission, but not cured, I too have changed livestyles, but am soooo glad to be alive and wake every day with a positive outlook. Just never give up, they could not operate on me , so I received four chemos and six and a half weeks of rads five times a week to chest, side and back.Just never give up and look ahead, never back!! Will keep pulling for you Mike

I just found this board. The messages you've already received pretty much say it all. I'm in remission from both prostate ca (10 yrs) and small-cell lung) and living in Mexico on a beautiful beach.

Life can be what you make of it---as Jim Valvano told us, Never, never, never, give up!