Update on Scott

Btrcup
Btrcup Member Posts: 286
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all, well it's back to the hospital for Scott. We met with surgical onc on Friday and Scott is scheduled for a gastrografin enema on Monday. Anyone ever had this done? Then on Wed. he will be admitted to Univ of MD and undergo laprascopic surgery. The CT he had done last week showed that cancer has spread in the last 3 mos. Doc wants to look around and see if he can get a better feel of how bad his small bowel is infected. We feel so comfortable with this new surgeon. He looks to be mid 40's and sat with us for 2 1/2 hours yesterday!! My hubby said he's almost like talking to a friend, not abrupt and he doesn't seem to have the "my time is too valuable" syndrome like alot of surgeons. He is very frank with us, even helped us understand the living will (some of the questions seemed to contradict each other, but he explained everything).

After laprascopic is done, he will determine if Scott can be a candidate for the heated chemo treatment. He said if he feels he can't get 99% of the cancer, he wouldn't risk it.

Scott is in some pain now. He started vomiting again last night. He has several partial obstructions (due to tumors) and doc wants to get them before they become total obstructions.

This whole ordeal is so scary. Like I said before, this doc us very frank. He said that death from this type of cancer (peritoneal carcinomatosis) is not a pretty one. There is alot of pain involved. We discussed home care vs hospital care (if it comes down to that) and his personal view is he thinks Scott should go to hospital. Since our children (8 & 4) would be home with us, it can be very scary for them.

We have so much to discuss and it is so hard to talk about. We make jokes between ourselves (Scott said he wants to be cremated and I would have to carry his ashes wherever he goes. I said I would just roll him up and smoke him!! lol).

Anyway, sorry I'm rambling. I just feel like I have so much on my mind and don't know where else to go. You guys are my counselors. I know you understand what I'm going through.

Well I'll let you all know what happens after Wed. Prayers to all.

Linda (Baltimore)

Comments

• Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Dearest Linda,

I am so sorry. Your surgeon sounds so sincere and caring as well as knowledgeable. I'm glad you both feel so comfortable with him. Keeping Scott from having a complete obstruction is so important now because they are difficult in themselves without all these other issues.

Scott, you, and your children are in my heart, thoughts, and prayers.

Love,

Kay
  • alihamilton
    alihamilton Member Posts: 347 Member
    Linda, I am so sorry to hear the news....I do hope that the treatment he is to receive is successful. It is good to have a caring doctor so that you feel you are being told all you need to know to prepare you, but these are still very hard and trying times for you, especially as you have young children. Do keep us posted as to how things go this coming week. Try and keep your spirits up in spite of the stress and fears you are experiencing.

Praying for you,

Ali
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Linda,

My heart and prayers go out to you and Scott. You have been through so much and have so much more to go through.

I can feel the love you two share and that is so important for you both during this time.

Remember we are all here for you anytime you need us. Hang in there.

Love,

Kerry
  • themis01
    themis01 Member Posts: 167
    Linda,
    I really hope he is a candidate for the heated chemo procedure. That could really turn things around for you all. I am glad that you both are keeping the fight up.
    Erika
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Linda,

YOU ARE AWESOME! Your attitude with Scott and the fact that the two of you can make jokes really speaks volumes of your relationship. I hope that I would ahve your strength when faced with such adversity. Again, I thank you for coming here an sharing from your perspective. :-)

Scott will be in my prayers for his upcoming surgery. But whatever the outcome I pray that you two continue to enjoy your time together.

You two are beautiful people.

peace, emily who is inspired by you
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    what is there to say? There should be a purple heart, or silver medal for cancer patients, and esp. for their caretakers..you are brave..I will pray. Nanuk
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Linda,

I have been praying for you and Scott every since we talked on the phone. I have to agree with the other posts. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!! Keep us posted as I rachet up my prayers for Scott and your family.

I too want to be cremated and had never thought about smoking it....I smiled big time at that one. I love your humor with each other. The love you have for each other is so obvious. You both are very lucky.

Enjoy every day honey!!!!

Lisa P.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Hi Linda,
    I am glad you had such a positive experience with the surgical onc -- that can much SUCH a difference, can't it. Good luck with the gastrografin enema and also the laprascopy. I will be thinking of you both! Sending prayers and best wishes.
    Tara
  • goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    Nanuk is right. You two deserve a medal. I'm sorry that you are going through this. My prayers are with you.
    Mary
    Mary
  • tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767
    Linda and Scott,
    I echo the sentiments of the other posters.

You are truly wonderful, brave people with a pure relationship.

You are in my prayers each day and my thoughts always.

Love to both of you,

Barb
  • taunya
    taunya Member Posts: 390 Member
    Linda,
    I am so sorry to hear that things have gotten so difficult for your family. Hang in there and don't lose hope. I wish I could say something more helpful. Know that I am thinking of you.
    Love,
    Taunya
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    taunya said:

Linda,
    I am so sorry to hear that things have gotten so difficult for your family. Hang in there and don't lose hope. I wish I could say something more helpful. Know that I am thinking of you.
    Love,
    Taunya

Linda....if your love for Scott is as strong as mine is for Jen then you are truly blessed...and I believe it is! You can join my "angel club" Linda!! We both pray that Scott is able to have the treatment he needs. Having a good doc. is very comforting..rather than being treated as another "number".
    Our love to you both......we are here for you, Scotty and your kids.
    Huggs, Ross and Jen
  • rejoyous
    rejoyous Member Posts: 259
    Dear Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what is going on with you, Scott, and your two children. Your spirit and clear-headedness are indeed remarkable. I keep thinking throughout this cancer business that we are all greedy for more life, but life is just a series of tiny moments, and the piece we have control over is to appreciate each one of them as they come our way. You and Scott have the kind of spirits that allow you to do just that. May you continue to find the strength to carry on in that life-affirming way.

We're all with you on this. Please let us know how the laproscopic surgery goes. We're thinking of you.