what does a fever mean??

vanser
vanser Member Posts: 100 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello all -

Thanks so much for your replies regarding my moms fever. She is still going up and down between normal and 100. It usually stays at 100 for a short while and then goes back down, but she is getting cold and hot flashes.

We are trying to get her a doctors appointment and are waiting for a time.

Does anyone know what a fever means? Is is just a sign of infection or is this known to be a sign of cancer recurrence???

Vanessa

Comments

• Shandle
    Shandle Member Posts: 204
    Hi Vanessa, Glad you are trying to go to the Dr. with your mom. A fever is usually a sign of infection or virus. Your mom has a low grade temp that most people with strong immune systems can fight off. However, cancer patients immune systems is depressed due to chemo treatments. The treatments make us that way. When a cancer patient gets even a low grade temperature we are advised to seek medical help to jump on a possible infection with antibiotics so it doesn't get worse and we stay as healthy as possible. In regard to your other question, I initially had a fever when I went to the ER in severe stomach pain. My fever spiked to 105.? and I was hospialized with diverticulitis, which turned out to be cancer, but I've never heard of a fever because of cancer spreading. Get to the Dr. so you'll both have peace of mind. Hugggs ~ Wanda
  • littlejulie
    littlejulie Member Posts: 311
    Vanessa - i HIGHLY doubt a fever means a recurrence! We all get fevers from time to time and it is normally our bodies fighting a virus. Its your fear of the 'recurrence' that is making your mind wonder. Don't let it - its just a virus!

julie
  • littlejulie
    one more thing - her getting cold and then having hot flashes always comes with a fever.
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    Fever is s symptom of teh body fighting somehting foreign- usually an infection. It is caused by teh body's immune system and is very normal in all of us when we fight infection. During chemo the immune system gets depressed so minor infections can turn into major ones. however the immune system usually recovers within weeks of finishing chemo. Therefore unless your mom is on recent/current chemo it is unlikely to be serious. If she is very frrail or compromised for other reason then infections are also more serious. It is unlikely to mean a recurrence of cancer.
    Hope this is helpful, Steve
  • littlejulie
    steved said:

Fever is s symptom of teh body fighting somehting foreign- usually an infection. It is caused by teh body's immune system and is very normal in all of us when we fight infection. During chemo the immune system gets depressed so minor infections can turn into major ones. however the immune system usually recovers within weeks of finishing chemo. Therefore unless your mom is on recent/current chemo it is unlikely to be serious. If she is very frrail or compromised for other reason then infections are also more serious. It is unlikely to mean a recurrence of cancer.
    Hope this is helpful, Steve

((((TaraHK )))))
    I was out of town when you posting about your surgery date. You will be in my thoughts and prayers all day tomorrow. I wish you all the best.

julie :)