fell of band wagon

lhsteer
lhsteer Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone, well as you can guess am feeling real bad, I fell off the wagon this week had some chocolate cupcakes, and a whopper with cheese from burger kind don't know why just craving it. I am doing chemo again, this is my 2nd session as of yesterday I do the 48 hours fol fox, I think it just all boiled up in me since I had been doing all the right food juicing and veggies for so long then I had surgery to reconnect colon and found out that i had some spots on my stomache lining I got depresed and thought for a moment oh hell and gave into the food. Now I am going back on my strict diet again, by Dr Patrick Quilian Beating cancer with nutrition but has anyone else every fallen off the regime and gave into the chocolate and fast food dilema I feel like an alcoholic who starting drinking again. how do you stay as strong and away from the food we are not suppose to have. Thank you all for your support and help. Karen email is lhsteer@aol. com like long horn steer.

Comments

• Rondog
    Rondog Member Posts: 26
    I've had my share of In-N-Out DoubleDoubles and Fatburger in the past 11 months...
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Karen,

Don't feel so bad about falling off the wagon, I'm still trying to just get on the wagon!! I'm on my second round of chemo too, no fun. I crave food all the time when I'm on chemo - I don't know if it is the steriods or what, but even the nausea doesn't stop me from wanting to eat. I am trying my best to stick with the healthier foods - we all fall a little. We just dust ourselves off and get back up.

Stay strong.

Kerry
  • andreae
    andreae Member Posts: 236
    Hi Karen,

I am not a devout juicer/dieter so my perception may not be right on. I do think, though, that you REALLY should not worry about the cupcakes and whopper. Firstly, you have MORE than enough to worry about and stress will do more damage than BK. Also, I really think moderation is the key. In North America, we have lost all conception of a balanced diet. I don't think the traditional diet of meat, fast food, meat and sugar is good for anyone. I do think that eating right is important. But, I also think a cupcake one night, a slice of birthday cake or an occasional burger is not going to do any damage. I know sometimes ROLO ice cream is the only thing that gets me through the day:) Again, I'm not on a strict diet, so maybe my perspective is irrelevant.

I hope all is well with FOLFOX. Be well, PLEASE forgive yourself (again, cancer survivors have enough to worry about) and HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Hugs,
    Andrea
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Karen -

The real question is, did you "SUPER-SIZE"?

I am a firm believer that our bodies are very effective at telling us what they need. Sounds to me like your body felt like it needed some carbs and some "comfort" food. Stuff like Whoppers and (hang on, I'm taking a bite of pizza...) Anyway, stuff like Whoppers and chocolate cupcakes stimulate the production of (Jana, don't kick me too hard if I get this wrong) Dopomine - comfort chemical which makes you "feel" better. Like Andrea says, moderation is the key. It's not whether or not you have a cupcake, or a Whopper, or some Rolo icecream every now and then; what's important is that you treat your body well most of te time. Besides, if you're like me (hang on, sip of beer...) that Whopper and chocolate cupcake probably rocketed through your system so fast they had little opportunity cause any damage that a good blueberry/carrot/rhubarb shake can't cure!

Well, gotta run - the Girl Scouts are at the door (wit you know what...!)

Don't sweat the small stuff, Karen. Listen to your body. Let it tell you what it needs and take heed! Our bodies are smarter than most of us give them credit for!

Cheers

- SB (The ThinMint Man)
  • rejoyous
    rejoyous Member Posts: 259
    Wow, Karen, I didn't know we weren't allowed to eat that stuff, so thanks for clueing me in. I guess it's all in those books that Emily keeps telling us to read, but as for me, I've been so busy feeling lousy for the last 9 months since my initial diagnosis, surgery and subsequent six months of chemo, I haven't been making the right progress on the self-flagellation front.

Don't get me wrong--I really am looking forward to learning more about the relationship between diet and cancer. Also, at the beginning of my chemo I saw a nutritionist who made me log my daily food intake for a week so she could evaluate my eating. (She actually said I was doing everything right, but she's a regular hospital-based nutritionist, not an alternative type, so her standards are different from what you and Emily are adhering to.)

But I guess I'm a one-step-at-a-time type. And I'm definitely into prioritizing slowing down and smelling the roses over beating myself up. Literally, I'm eating more slowly and trying to enjoy it more (when I can enjoy food at all, that is). If it were me, I'd REALLY enjoy that whopper and cupcake--eat it slowly and deliciously, like it was the last Whopper on the planet.
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    Just to let you know (and I am a healthy eater - used to be vegetarian) - you need fat to help you heal too. A dab in the bad stuff here and there is OK, in my opinion. Before all my surgeries, the surgeon told me to try and get some fat on my bones to help me heal.

Moderation is the key. I agree with everyone else. You need to feel happy in your skin. If a small "fall off the wagon" made you feel good, NO GUILT!!!!!!!!!!!

Do what makes you feel good, and healthful!

Try not to stress over food. jana
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Hi Karen!

Oh honey don't beat yourself up. SOmetimes you have to feed your spirit too. The important thing is that you got back on it. Everyone is going to have their moments. When I found out I was cancer free the first time after my surgery I went out and ate all the chocolate Rice Dream (it's like ice cream but is made from rice milk) and stuff that I hadn't allowed in all those months post surgery.

Food is such a strong comfort--whether we used it when we feel down or when we feel like celebrating. Chocolate and greasy burgers are foods that promote a feeling of emotional well-being. Don't feel bad you seeked them out when you felt down. :-)

So to answer your question yes, I have had foods that are not optimal for cancer healing and if there are times that I really just have to have it I do. Like I said, sometimes you have to feed your spirit. :-) yes even miss juicing queen! haha!

peace, emily who completely understands....
  • aspaysia
    aspaysia Member Posts: 250
    After surgery my doctors encouraged me to eat anything my little heart desired. My weight was in the double digits (I am 5'8") because my body did not absorb much food. Trying to look at the brighter side, my nephews told me I could be a super model. Hah!
    Well, I put back the weight and then some. No more absorpsion problems here. We try to eat healthfully in the family. The goal is to have a little of everything in moderation. Our resolve is very tenuous and we frequently break the rules. My brother-in-law appologises for bringing home some gluten-free scones. He did not read the label carefully. They were pretty dry - easily solved by lots of butter.
    Why beat yourself up over a little slip? Relax and have fun. Was that a bacon cheeseburger or just a plain one? Go for broke, girl. And put some ice cream on those cupcakes.
    We have suffered enough without blaming ourselves for getting sick.
    Aspaysia, who never met a french fry she didn't like.
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    2bhealed said:

Hi Karen!

Oh honey don't beat yourself up. SOmetimes you have to feed your spirit too. The important thing is that you got back on it. Everyone is going to have their moments. When I found out I was cancer free the first time after my surgery I went out and ate all the chocolate Rice Dream (it's like ice cream but is made from rice milk) and stuff that I hadn't allowed in all those months post surgery.

Food is such a strong comfort--whether we used it when we feel down or when we feel like celebrating. Chocolate and greasy burgers are foods that promote a feeling of emotional well-being. Don't feel bad you seeked them out when you felt down. :-)

So to answer your question yes, I have had foods that are not optimal for cancer healing and if there are times that I really just have to have it I do. Like I said, sometimes you have to feed your spirit. :-) yes even miss juicing queen! haha!

peace, emily who completely understands....

ps...

my fall off the band wagon food of choice was greasy KFC chicken and their potato wedges. Talk about junky!! And non vegetarian!!!!

peace, emily who is back to being a vegetarian now so no more greasy chicken (anyway the nearest KFC is 35 miles away now--thank goodness)