Update on Scott

Btrcup
Btrcup Member Posts: 286
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all, hope this message finds everyone in the Christmas spirit, not matter how difficult that may be. I'm am not into the merriment this year. Scott started complaining about stomach pain yesterday. Last week he was bleeding from rectum again. I'm waiting for him to contact his onc so we can see him today. I'm so afraid his cancer is back. He describes the pain is similar to contractions (from what he's heard). Starts out dull, gets worse, then is gone. I'm at work and waiting for him to call me.

Please say a prayer for him. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your support.

Linda (Baltimore)

Comments

• steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    This is the last thing you need esp at this time of the year bt do remember there are so many other causes of these symptoms than a returning cancer. Stomach bugs, haemorrhoids etc are all incredibly common but everytime a symptoms occurs to one of us we always fear the worst. It is all part of having been through what we have. Get on top of it as soon as possible and I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. I really hope it is something innocent.
    Steve.
  • andreae
    andreae Member Posts: 236
    Dear Linda,

Hang in there. While it is understandable and completely rational, try to avoid catastrophizing. Like Steve said, lots and lots of things cause GI problems. Is Scott on Celebrex or other COX 2 inhibitors? What about aspirin? Chemo can also cause delayed stomach pain (I get horrible pain on the weeks I don't do chemo!). We all have our fingers crossed. Good luck to both of you.

Hugs,
    Andrea
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Hello again, my fellow DC/Bahlmer friend!

I'm glad to hear you're going to get Scott's issues checked out. Something to consider, though, I had a lot of similar pain early on after my surgery. It was gas. I can vouch that it hurt like hell and then it passed (no pun intended). As for the blood, I still have it and it scares the crap out of me (again, no pun intended) on a regular (sorry, I seem to full of them today) basis. I have ulcers at the anstoma site and they bleed sometimes. Not sure why the're there, but I've gotten accustomed to them - but when they bleed it's alarming.

What I'm trying to say is that it's good you're getting Scott's symptoms checked, but please don't get too uptight yet.

So, how is the traffic on 295 up around Arundle Mills? GREAT time to go there for a movie, eh?

Cheers

- SB
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    spongebob said:

Hello again, my fellow DC/Bahlmer friend!

I'm glad to hear you're going to get Scott's issues checked out. Something to consider, though, I had a lot of similar pain early on after my surgery. It was gas. I can vouch that it hurt like hell and then it passed (no pun intended). As for the blood, I still have it and it scares the crap out of me (again, no pun intended) on a regular (sorry, I seem to full of them today) basis. I have ulcers at the anstoma site and they bleed sometimes. Not sure why the're there, but I've gotten accustomed to them - but when they bleed it's alarming.

What I'm trying to say is that it's good you're getting Scott's symptoms checked, but please don't get too uptight yet.

So, how is the traffic on 295 up around Arundle Mills? GREAT time to go there for a movie, eh?

Cheers

- SB

Hiya Linda. Ditto to the above. All the best to Scott from us in OZ linda--for his sake and piece of mind I would be happy if you came back and said Scott has haemharroids--we all have them Linda--and every now and then they cause bleeding and sometime low down cramps. I still have them, they still bleed spasmodically--in fact they were diagnosed in 97. This is very common. Like Bob says--give the doc a chance to find the cause--haemharriods can be a pain--but not a major issue.
    cheers kanga n Jen
  • Hi Linda. Ditto to what all my friends have already passed on to you....getting in touch with the doctor and having things checked is a definite must. But I most certainly agree with Spongers...gas can be extremely painful and many times, ongoing. I'm sure Scott will be fine and will keep you both in my prayers.

As for rectal bleeding, there are a number of things that can cause that...including internal fissures (sp??). So please, although real easy to do with this disease, don't jump to any negative conclusions.

Hugs,
    Monika