still smoking

dilconcerned
dilconcerned Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
i dont know how to express my concern for my mother in-law. she has made it through chemo and radiation for stage IV throat cancer. has had 2 bouts of pneumonia and went to 83 lbs. now she is about 90lbs. so this week she was diagnosed with lung cancer non operable and the only thing to do is chemo. this is the catch she is still smoking 1-1 1/2 packs a day. amazing. she smoked through most of the chemo and radiation. anyone know how people make it through while smoking. any sugestions on how to approach her. it seems that all avenues have been persued.

thanks

Comments

• SwingBridgeTSI
    SwingBridgeTSI Member Posts: 78
    have you spoken with her doctors? because there are things out there they can give her to help her quit...but the one thing is she has to want to do it and see its forher own good too. but I would speak with her doctors and see what they can do to help.
  • dolphinsnora
    dolphinsnora Member Posts: 3
    The only thing that made me stop smoking, was the words lung cancer. From that day forward I haven't smoked. I know for certain that if I hadn't gotten that news I would still smoking. For me it was being scared stiff. I still go to the cancer centre as I am in a study and I am amazed at the number of people you see outside smoking. All the best for your mother in law. I know to stop smoking is extremely difficult. I smoked for 43 years.
  • nelss06
    nelss06 Member Posts: 6
    After smoking for 51 years I found out I had NSC cancer in the right lung...As soon as I heard my name and cancer in the same sentence I decided to quit smoking..I went to my doctor and she was more than willing to help with nicotine patches, wellbutrin (same as zyban) and anti anxiety pills if necessary..I had to quit smoking for 1 week prior to surgery anyway and this was a wonderful time to start...Talk to her doctor or have her talk to her doctor because I am sure he/she will be more than anxious to help with this...It doesn't hurt as much as you think it might. I still love the smell and occasionally think about smoking, but when I think of the consequences I change my mind in a hurry..Good luck to your mother in-law in her fight with cancer and also in the will to quit smoking. If she has grandchildren and is close to them maybe they could help too..Mine did and they were only 6-12 years old so everything is fair in this war..
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi,
    I was a 2 - 3 pack a day smoker (non-filters) for about 50 years when I got the word. Lung cancer! I had tried (half heartedly) to quit over the years, and whined that it was too difficult. I had all the excuses. Well, the diagnosis got my attention, and I quit cold turkey. Like most other former smokers, I would love to start smoking gain, but I simply don't dare. It sounds as if your mother-in-law has reached a point where she figures "why bother?" This is where you need to be creative. Instead of telling her that it's bad for her, try pointing out the advantages of not smoking when it comes to treatment and possible surgery. A non-smoker, even a recent one, will have an easier time with chemo, radiation and surgery. Another approach may be to tell her that maybe she's being a little selfish, if she's giving up. She has to consider the rest of the family, and especially the grandchildren, if any. Tell her that along with the cancer treatment, you will help her quit smoking also.
    I'll keep her in my prayers.