Ready to fight Glioblastoma 4, could use some help

lovemyfather
lovemyfather Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Brain Cancer #1
Hello my father was diagnosed with GBM 4 today. He had a biopsy on tuesday that was quite successful in removing much of this evil tumor. The tumor is located in the back right side of his brain directly after the cranium which allowed for a smooth surgery. His left peripheral vision is lost. He is 66 years old and quite A fighter.

Ladies and gentlemen I am a young man who is ready to put up the fight of my life for my father. How highly would you all recommend treatment with Themador? What other options are there? ANy names of top notch doctors in this field you know of? I live next to UCLA medical center in Westwood and a nice lady from the Brain Tumor Society told me a doctor is one of the best.

I pray for as many responses (be they good or bad) that you may have to help me. I am so profoundly proud that there exists sites like these with people as strong as all of you that help one another.

I think in some ways its tougher on the family then on the patient, but we are all in it together!

Comments

• nanc721
    nanc721 Member Posts: 29
    Sorry to hear about your father. My husband was diagnosed with GBM on Mother's Day of 2003. He has had 2 surgeries, radiation, and Temodar. He tolerated the Temodar very well. Minimal nausea. Also tolerated the radiation well, although he is having some problems with vision now because of the effects of the rad. I have heard about Dr. Keith Black at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in LA. There was a very interesting article about his approach in CURE magazine last year. Also, Dr. Alan Friedman at Duke University is considered to be one of the best. I wish you and your family much quality time with your father. My husband is 51, and we are hoping for many more good years. You will find that this diagnosis makes you appreciate everyone in your life so much more.
  • lovemyfather
    nanc721 said:

Sorry to hear about your father. My husband was diagnosed with GBM on Mother's Day of 2003. He has had 2 surgeries, radiation, and Temodar. He tolerated the Temodar very well. Minimal nausea. Also tolerated the radiation well, although he is having some problems with vision now because of the effects of the rad. I have heard about Dr. Keith Black at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in LA. There was a very interesting article about his approach in CURE magazine last year. Also, Dr. Alan Friedman at Duke University is considered to be one of the best. I wish you and your family much quality time with your father. My husband is 51, and we are hoping for many more good years. You will find that this diagnosis makes you appreciate everyone in your life so much more.

Thanx so much. Hope your Husband is doing well, im sure he is strong and u know quite well he ain't going anywhere. My doctor at Kaiser mentioned Keith Black to me. I will give him a call.
    Yesterday I talked to a 37 year old man named Scott Norris (I will post his number later when I have it on me). He is now on his 5th year with Multiform. He had a tumor the size of an orange in his frontal lobe when they discovered his cancer. He is a hero to me and all of u. He has made his home number available and he is just a regular guy who is not dying of GBM 4 but living with it. He told me #1 is attitude, #2 excercise, #3 family and support, #4 treatment. All he did was 6 weeks of Radiation and one day of gamma. He has opened up his life to all of us and anybody who wants can call him. He is really nice and I called him while he was watching TV and HE GAVE ME A LOT OF HOPE! I am looking at this as a fight or a war, and im gonna equip my father (the soldier) with the best training (info) equipment (treatment) and love (support) so he can fight effectively and win.
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member

Thanx so much. Hope your Husband is doing well, im sure he is strong and u know quite well he ain't going anywhere. My doctor at Kaiser mentioned Keith Black to me. I will give him a call.
    Yesterday I talked to a 37 year old man named Scott Norris (I will post his number later when I have it on me). He is now on his 5th year with Multiform. He had a tumor the size of an orange in his frontal lobe when they discovered his cancer. He is a hero to me and all of u. He has made his home number available and he is just a regular guy who is not dying of GBM 4 but living with it. He told me #1 is attitude, #2 excercise, #3 family and support, #4 treatment. All he did was 6 weeks of Radiation and one day of gamma. He has opened up his life to all of us and anybody who wants can call him. He is really nice and I called him while he was watching TV and HE GAVE ME A LOT OF HOPE! I am looking at this as a fight or a war, and im gonna equip my father (the soldier) with the best training (info) equipment (treatment) and love (support) so he can fight effectively and win.

My father age 76, was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme glioma astrocytoma today (9/11/04) of the brain. He is recomended for neurosurgery. Does any one know best doctors in Chicago for this surgery and treatment? We need info asap. Thank you. Carolyn
  • mamabanana
    mamabanana Member Posts: 6
    My mother had a G4 tumor removed over a year ago and under went a year of Temodar. She has astounded the doctors by still having no sign of tumor re-growth. Her tumor was in the occipital lobe. Follow all the doctors directions for the treatment and make sure to get the anti-nausea medicine while taking the temodar.
  • lovemyfather

My mother had a G4 tumor removed over a year ago and under went a year of Temodar. She has astounded the doctors by still having no sign of tumor re-growth. Her tumor was in the occipital lobe. Follow all the doctors directions for the treatment and make sure to get the anti-nausea medicine while taking the temodar.

my father started radiation 2 weeks ago, brain surgery 4 weeks ago did first cycle of temador 3 weeks ago (5 days) can u tell me what if any treatments there are after radiation out there?
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member

my father started radiation 2 weeks ago, brain surgery 4 weeks ago did first cycle of temador 3 weeks ago (5 days) can u tell me what if any treatments there are after radiation out there?

My Treatment for GBM IV following radiation is 12 months of temodar. 5 days on 25 days off
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator