metastatic melanoma

tippy19
tippy19 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Skin Cancer #1
My husband has stage 4 metstatic melanoma. I would love to talk to anyone who also has the same. He is on an organic diet with many supplement. It seems to be helping. He takes DTIC chemo every 3 weeks. So far so good!

Comments

• ninja
    ninja Member Posts: 9
    Hi Tippy19,

My husband has been diagnosed with Stage III melanoma in the ankle.
    He got two surgeries already and now he is going through a 52-week cycle of INTERFERON. He feels miserable, nauseous and he often has fever.
    What type of diet is your husband following?

Thanks.
    Ninja
  • castle
    castle Member Posts: 14
    Hi Tippy19 my name is Gina my husband has stage 4 melanoma also. We have 2 daughter ages 12 and 10 I am very scared. He had melanoma 7 years ago and it just came back this spring, he has had two places remove one in his lower bowel and a nodule removed from his left lung. I would love to talk to you.
  • Bruce2768
    Bruce2768 Member Posts: 9
    castle said:

Hi Tippy19 my name is Gina my husband has stage 4 melanoma also. We have 2 daughter ages 12 and 10 I am very scared. He had melanoma 7 years ago and it just came back this spring, he has had two places remove one in his lower bowel and a nodule removed from his left lung. I would love to talk to you.

Hi, my husband has stage 4 also. He is in the hospital now receiving a monthly "pulse" of IL-2, (Interleukin 2)The original site was 15 years ago, clark's level 3, & returned in the lymph node 8" away. Then jumped into 4 organs. He did biochemotherapy, then maintenance & daily shots, &did go into remission (miracle)fantastic,now has had 3 local soft tissue lumps removed since April. I am scared as well. I never have admitted that before, but have 3 sons, ages 15, 18 and 21. It's been 2 /14 years of a ful on battle and we have met with success along the way. The doctors, Stephen O'Day and Donald Morton, John Wayne Cancer Institute are very upbeat. This disease is so tough to beat at this level? I'd love to talk to you more. Please respond!
  • Bruce2768
    Bruce2768 Member Posts: 9
    what kind of supplements does he take? Is he on a strict diet? I have tried, my husband has stage IV but isn't up for the holistic stuff. He's a fighter and has done well but I'd like to get more nutrition in him. The doctor's don't push it at all. I wonder if they think it doesn't matter in the long run which really scares me. I'd like to hear from you again! I'm new to this site ( and I'm the wife).
  • DianeS
    DianeS Member Posts: 1
    ninja said:

Hi Tippy19,

My husband has been diagnosed with Stage III melanoma in the ankle.
    He got two surgeries already and now he is going through a 52-week cycle of INTERFERON. He feels miserable, nauseous and he often has fever.
    What type of diet is your husband following?

Thanks.
    Ninja

Hello,
    My husband also had interferon, self injected for 12 months. It certainly held his cancer at bay while he was on it but it did return once he finished his course. He too was tired, depressed and not himself. We wish now that we had taken it all much more positively and taken time off work, changed our diet (which we have done now) and helped the treatment work by going with it rather than fighting it. My husband saw it as a thing he just had to get over and then he would be OK. We realize now that he really had to change his lifestyle, be positive, eat very well and meditate to help the whole process. Interferon can't work on its own. It needs you to be totally behind it and working with it.
    Diane
  • MaryanSteve
    MaryanSteve Member Posts: 3
    Hi, my husband has just been diagnosed with Metastatic Melignant Melanoma that has metastasized to his liver and we are both freaked. We both work in heavy and highway road construction and my husband has seen a dermatologist every year and we don't know where it originated. Liver biopsy indicated Malignant Melanoma from either eye or skin, but PET CT indicated that cancer was only in the liver. Oncologist said we may never know it's origin and ordered 2 or 3 sessions of Chemo (3 days on 3 weeks off) then Interfuron2. He did one session so far and is very weak. We live in Upstate NY so I am taking him to Sloan Kettering next week.
  • Squeaker
    Squeaker Member Posts: 3

Hi, my husband has just been diagnosed with Metastatic Melignant Melanoma that has metastasized to his liver and we are both freaked. We both work in heavy and highway road construction and my husband has seen a dermatologist every year and we don't know where it originated. Liver biopsy indicated Malignant Melanoma from either eye or skin, but PET CT indicated that cancer was only in the liver. Oncologist said we may never know it's origin and ordered 2 or 3 sessions of Chemo (3 days on 3 weeks off) then Interfuron2. He did one session so far and is very weak. We live in Upstate NY so I am taking him to Sloan Kettering next week.

They never found my original site either. My doctor told me that this is not all that uncommon in patients who aren't diagnosed until stage IV. Good luck with the treatments! Hopefully the IL-2 won't make him any weaker and if you need any advice about the treatment, let me know (I have been through 1 round).
  • parisgal
    parisgal Member Posts: 3
    Bruce2768 said:

what kind of supplements does he take? Is he on a strict diet? I have tried, my husband has stage IV but isn't up for the holistic stuff. He's a fighter and has done well but I'd like to get more nutrition in him. The doctor's don't push it at all. I wonder if they think it doesn't matter in the long run which really scares me. I'd like to hear from you again! I'm new to this site ( and I'm the wife).

I think the doctors don't push diet and supplements because they don't believe that such "small" changes can have major effects on cancer, not that they think the situation is hopeless. It just seems to a common medical attitude that anything that has a "general" effect won't have a specific effect against cancer.
  • ahippee
    ahippee Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have stage 4 melanoma and my doctor wants me to start DTIC within the next couple of weeks. How is he tolerating the drug? Thanks, Ann
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator