Advice for my Dad

stever
stever Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hi everyone. Looking for advice on anything and everything (ok.. related to my Dad's Prostate Cancer!) He had what we thought was a benign prostate enlargement 4-5 weeks ago because his DRE and PSA tests have been negative. Oh, He is 73, in great health otherwise, avid golfer.

They did the routine biopsy and found out he had prostate cancer - and found cancerous bladder cells as well. So he has known for about 2-3 weeks now. They ran all the typical scans/ultrasounds. He began having some back pain, headaches and more urinary issues.

An Ultrasound showed a problem with one of his kidneys draining so he went in Friday to have a stent put in his Ureter, Actually his Dr.(Urologist still) was going to put in 2 up through the bladder. Couldn't find the Ureters so backed out.

Dr. Consulted with my Mom, me, my sis, bro etc. after failed procedure and expressed surprise at the growth in the last month. They kept my dad overnight and were able to put in the stents through via the Kidneys. Came home tonight(I think). We pressed Dr. for prognosis because the Dr. stressed how aggressive this is. He said 3 months if we do nothing and that it wasn't curable barring a miracle. And really wouldn't say if we treat. 6 months to 6 years, but got the impression low end of that. Was leaning towards the seed before he saw the new growth. Guessing the growth was interfering with the ureters emptying into the bladder. Scan on one lymph node that was enlarged came back negative so all we really know is that it is in prostate and bladder - probably some surrounding tissue, but don't know enough about that. Gleason 10, Stage IV, No known Lymph nodes. Bones are clear.

We live in St. Louis. He is getting the hormone shot Monday. Getting the temp. drains from stent implant out Tues and talking more to Dr. Not sure when he will talk to oncologist.

1) Read that John Hopkins is top place to go? Is that true? Dr. Recommendation? St. Louis has some good hospitals, any recommendations here?

What treatment option would you pursue? I would think that even though it is Gleason 10, it is somewhat contained because has only showed up in the Prostate and Bladder and surgery to get it out would be best bet?

Dr. indicated that Chemo wasn't that effective against this type. Is that true?

What am I missing? What questions do we need to ask? I don't think he will see an oncologist(Dr. is referring him to one) for a few days. Seems like he should be able to talk to an oncologist Monday and not have to wait a few days.

Thanks for any and all advice!!

Comments

• 2ndBase
    2ndBase Member Posts: 220
    I'm 53 and had a Gleason of 9 and psa of 24 and my urologists said surgery was not a good option as it had most likely spread though it did not show up in a bone scan and the other tests were not very helpful. After taking it to the tumor board he decided to go with hormone treatment and the max radiation, which is what happened.I'm still alive 18 months later and have drugs to help with the pain. I talked to John's Hopkins and they said they had no better answer and unless I just wanted to travel 900 miles and spend a lot of money I just as well get treated here in Indiana. I now have no job or insurance so I'm just waiting for my next psa test in Nov. The level tripled in the last six months which was not good and he wants me to do chemo and more hormone therapy at the end of the year if the psa level keeps rising. I'm not sure if I will do this but thats what they tell me to do. The decisions ae difficult and the treatments are not meant to cure, not guaranteed to be effective, and have bad side effects, so your dad has to go with what he thinks will help and stay positive and keep the ball in the fairway!!! Best wishes.
  • stever
    stever Member Posts: 2
    2ndBase said:

I'm 53 and had a Gleason of 9 and psa of 24 and my urologists said surgery was not a good option as it had most likely spread though it did not show up in a bone scan and the other tests were not very helpful. After taking it to the tumor board he decided to go with hormone treatment and the max radiation, which is what happened.I'm still alive 18 months later and have drugs to help with the pain. I talked to John's Hopkins and they said they had no better answer and unless I just wanted to travel 900 miles and spend a lot of money I just as well get treated here in Indiana. I now have no job or insurance so I'm just waiting for my next psa test in Nov. The level tripled in the last six months which was not good and he wants me to do chemo and more hormone therapy at the end of the year if the psa level keeps rising. I'm not sure if I will do this but thats what they tell me to do. The decisions ae difficult and the treatments are not meant to cure, not guaranteed to be effective, and have bad side effects, so your dad has to go with what he thinks will help and stay positive and keep the ball in the fairway!!! Best wishes.

Thanks for the info Mark. What is your pain from? The radiation? Good luck with your ongoing struggle as well.
  • 2ndBase
    2ndBase Member Posts: 220
    stever said:

Thanks for the info Mark. What is your pain from? The radiation? Good luck with your ongoing struggle as well.

Steve, Ever since starting treatment for this cancer which I was told I've had for about 7 years I've had a lot of pain in my hips and other joints. I was also told I have arthritis which is a good part of it. I can be up and around for about 2 hours a day pretty well, but if I try to push it and overwork I invariably hurt too much and take vicidin and hot tub treatments which numb it but have other side effects, so I try not to overdo it. I'm not used to being this way as I have worked as a farmer and in manufacturing all my life, and it is depressing to not be able to do much work now. I'm happy to be alive, and hope things return to normal soon. Take care and thanks for your concern.