rectal cancer w/ temp ileostomy

teri_hatcher
teri_hatcher Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer march 2003. I went through 5 weeks of chemo and radiation the I had surgery 6 weeks later. I woke up with a temporary Ileostomy. I knew I was going to have one before going into surgery almost a year ago. I have had 3 failed reversals because of tears. Has anyone had this many failures and was still able to get reversed? I want to make sure I am not putting myself through all these operations when I feel like all I am doing is putting of the inevitable which is a permanent bag.

Teri

Comments

• nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Hi teri: I think this is a question for Shaz-http://www.ostomates.org/ she maintains the site and message boards, and someone has probably had similar experiences. You might also post to the UOA & IOA ostomy forums. Bud
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Hi Teri. My story is similar to yours, at least the begining part. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer Dec 2002 (turned out to be stage 3) . I also had 5+ wks chemoradiation, then a 5-6 wk break before surgery. But I woke up with a permanent colostomy -- I knew this was a very strong possibility (my tumor was very low), but didn't know for sure till the operation. I am so sorry about your failed reversals. I'm afraid I don't have any experience to share on that front. But, I do want to let you know that if you should happen to end up with a permanent ostomy, it isn't the worst thing in the world. Yes, it is an adjustment. But, for me, it honestly isn't such a big deal. As I have said before, I can do everything I did before except wear a bikini, which was a decreasing option anyway!! (I'm 45, two caesarians...well, you know...). I wish you all the best and will be thinking of you.
    Tara