Oxaliplatin

micheleamw
micheleamw Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Stiltz1 - My Dad is taking Oxaliplatin along with 5FU and Leucovorin(sp?) aka FOLFOX. He is Stage III with 4 nodes involved. His oncologist recommneded the more aggressive treatment. I believe the Oxaliplatin makes him very sensitive to hot and cold things. He can't drink or eat anyting too hot or cold. That also goes for touching things that are too hot or cold. Hope this helps.

Hugs~
Michele

Comments

• My husband Bert also is on this treatment...last two coming up. He is stage III colon cancer with four nodes involved, no other mets. Like Michele says, his onc too choose the more aggressive treatment because having four nodes is increased risk for recurrence even though surgery was a complete success.

Bert has been very fortunate with his entire treatment...both four months with just 5fu/leuc when we first started and then an additiona six months of 5fu/leuc/oxil. Sensitivity to hot/cold...yes, the first few days only. Tired, yup but still not to the point where it interfers with his quality of life. Goes to work every day. A little of the hand/foot syndrom...nothing that "Bag Balm" applied liberally with socks on hands and feet at night hasn't remedied. Thats about it. We've been blessed and there isn't a day that doesn't go by that I'm not grateful.

Monika
  • JenniV
    JenniV Member Posts: 10
    My mother will be starting this treatment on Wed. (Stage 3 9 nodes involved). We are all a bit nervous. Any additional info you all can share would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
  • LindaJean
    LindaJean Member Posts: 19
    JenniV said:

My mother will be starting this treatment on Wed. (Stage 3 9 nodes involved). We are all a bit nervous. Any additional info you all can share would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hey JenniV,
    How old is your mom? I am 50, Stage 3, 1 pos node with colon resection in March 2004. I am currently doing the folfox treatment. #4 coming up next week. So far so good. Minimal side effects. Last time (#3) I noticed a little sensitivity to cold so I don't know if it will get worse as time goes on. I am still working, not really missing much. I too was very nervous. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. I too am interested in what others are experiencing.
  • JenniV
    LindaJean said:

Hey JenniV,
    How old is your mom? I am 50, Stage 3, 1 pos node with colon resection in March 2004. I am currently doing the folfox treatment. #4 coming up next week. So far so good. Minimal side effects. Last time (#3) I noticed a little sensitivity to cold so I don't know if it will get worse as time goes on. I am still working, not really missing much. I too was very nervous. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. I too am interested in what others are experiencing.

Hi there!
    My mom is 56. She was diagnosed in Feb. 04. All of her test showed that the Lymph nodes were clear. She underwent Chemoradiation for 5 weeks which seamed to greatly reduce the size of tumor. She then had surgery to remove the rest of the tumor and surrounding nodes. Dr. said all organs looked great and nodes looked and felt fine. It sure was a surprise to find that so many of her nodes were in fact infected. It was all microscopic. So, Dr. decided to aggressively treat it with the Folfox. She went in to have the port put in on Thursday, but her veins were too small and the Dr. couldn't complete it. They ended up doing a Picc-line on Friday. I am not sure if this is better or worse, but still feels like another set back. We are anxiously awaiting her first treatment on Wed.

So, how have your side effect been? Are you able to control them fairly well? Are you on any anti-side effect meds? Is it just the sensitivity to cold? Or do you also have the nausea, etc...? Also, how many months will you be doing this treatment? Thanks in advance and I hope your treatments are going well!
  • Fitlisa
    Fitlisa Member Posts: 99
    I was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer May, 2004 - had resection surgery, no mets to other organs but nodes were positive. I started FOLFOX 2 weeks later (something I dont recommend btw as it was too soon after surgery but both my onc and I made the decision to be aggressive early). I had my first 2 treatments on Juned 2, 3. I noticed the hot/cold thing when I got home the first day. They warned me about it and , me being me, came home, opened the fridge, grabbed a bottle of water and dropped it! I learned from that, but this side effect was gone after about 3 days.

I am having some trouble (well, lots of trouble actually) with nausea that I am told is not the norm. We have tried ativan, compezine, phenergan - none worked. My nausea started on the 2nd day of treatment and lasted for 8 days. we are going to try Zofran, Marinol and something else I cant remember this cycle. Fingers crossed!

Hope this info help

Lisa
  • jackiep
    jackiep Member Posts: 1
    JenniV said:

Hi there!
    My mom is 56. She was diagnosed in Feb. 04. All of her test showed that the Lymph nodes were clear. She underwent Chemoradiation for 5 weeks which seamed to greatly reduce the size of tumor. She then had surgery to remove the rest of the tumor and surrounding nodes. Dr. said all organs looked great and nodes looked and felt fine. It sure was a surprise to find that so many of her nodes were in fact infected. It was all microscopic. So, Dr. decided to aggressively treat it with the Folfox. She went in to have the port put in on Thursday, but her veins were too small and the Dr. couldn't complete it. They ended up doing a Picc-line on Friday. I am not sure if this is better or worse, but still feels like another set back. We are anxiously awaiting her first treatment on Wed.

So, how have your side effect been? Are you able to control them fairly well? Are you on any anti-side effect meds? Is it just the sensitivity to cold? Or do you also have the nausea, etc...? Also, how many months will you be doing this treatment? Thanks in advance and I hope your treatments are going well!

Hi!
    I was diagnosed the March 04 with StageIII Colon Cancer, had pnemonia and couldn't have surgery until April. Doctor removed tumor and pathology found the tumor to be stage III and one lymph node of 37 tested to be positive.
    I had my port put in on 6/9 and will start chemo this week (5fu-leucovorian - oxaliplatin), for 6 months. Just love on your mom and hold her hand. As my treatment starts, I will let you know. God loves you and your mom and there will be another side to this nightmare and you will be able to encourage someone else. Jackie
  • JenniV
    Fitlisa said:

I was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer May, 2004 - had resection surgery, no mets to other organs but nodes were positive. I started FOLFOX 2 weeks later (something I dont recommend btw as it was too soon after surgery but both my onc and I made the decision to be aggressive early). I had my first 2 treatments on Juned 2, 3. I noticed the hot/cold thing when I got home the first day. They warned me about it and , me being me, came home, opened the fridge, grabbed a bottle of water and dropped it! I learned from that, but this side effect was gone after about 3 days.

I am having some trouble (well, lots of trouble actually) with nausea that I am told is not the norm. We have tried ativan, compezine, phenergan - none worked. My nausea started on the 2nd day of treatment and lasted for 8 days. we are going to try Zofran, Marinol and something else I cant remember this cycle. Fingers crossed!

Hope this info help

Lisa

Hi Jackie and LIsa! Thanks for all of the encouragement and information. I really appreciate it. I am one of those people that would like to know as much as possible about what we are facing. I truely hope and pray that this treatment goes well for both of you. Lisa- I hope your side effects lighten soon. Take care you two- and anyone else going through this!
  • LindaJean
    LindaJean Member Posts: 19
    JenniV said:

Hi there!

Hey JenniV,
    My side effects have really been minimal. I drive myself to the treatment center, take my treatment, approx. 2 hours, then go back to work that day, go to work the next, drive back to get my fanny pack off the 3rd morning. The first 2 treatments I went back home after I got the fanny pack off and slept most of the day and went to work the following day, however the 3rd treatment I didn't sleep because I wasn't as tired.

I take Emend for nausea, although I don't feel bad the 3 days of the treatment but the 4th and 5th day do feel a little nausea, never really sick, just eat too much! A little constipation but took something for that the last time.

I have worked the entire week after treatment and I actually work more than 40 hours a week. I am sensitive to cold, sort of, I have really tried to watch that and use gloves they provided just in case. I just noticed it a little last treatment when I peeled some potatoes that were in the frig, so I just put the gloves on, it was just a little tingling.

I think I will only be on folfox for 4 months. Originally it was 6 mos. for the 2 regimen chemo or 4 mos. for the 3 (folfox). No hair loss, but I think I am shedding more than usual, but I am blessed with a thick head of hair. Last time I told the doctor that I feel fine the week after treatment as if I wasn't even sick. I feel very fortunate so far.

Please keep us posted on your Mom and good luck !
  • JenniV
    LindaJean said:

Hey JenniV,
    My side effects have really been minimal. I drive myself to the treatment center, take my treatment, approx. 2 hours, then go back to work that day, go to work the next, drive back to get my fanny pack off the 3rd morning. The first 2 treatments I went back home after I got the fanny pack off and slept most of the day and went to work the following day, however the 3rd treatment I didn't sleep because I wasn't as tired.

I take Emend for nausea, although I don't feel bad the 3 days of the treatment but the 4th and 5th day do feel a little nausea, never really sick, just eat too much! A little constipation but took something for that the last time.

I have worked the entire week after treatment and I actually work more than 40 hours a week. I am sensitive to cold, sort of, I have really tried to watch that and use gloves they provided just in case. I just noticed it a little last treatment when I peeled some potatoes that were in the frig, so I just put the gloves on, it was just a little tingling.

I think I will only be on folfox for 4 months. Originally it was 6 mos. for the 2 regimen chemo or 4 mos. for the 3 (folfox). No hair loss, but I think I am shedding more than usual, but I am blessed with a thick head of hair. Last time I told the doctor that I feel fine the week after treatment as if I wasn't even sick. I feel very fortunate so far.

Please keep us posted on your Mom and good luck !

LindaJean- Thank you so much for your encouraging information. It sounds like you are handling it great! I hope that my mom will tolerate it as well. I think she is most concerned with the possibilities of diarhea/vomiting. Hopefully it will be minimal. She starts treatment #1 tomorrow. I guess we will know soon.

Please keep me informed about your treatment progress! Good Luck!