Rare Anal Canal Adenocarcinoma

andig
andig Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband was diagnosed with a rare adenocarcinoma of the anal canal - tumor was secreting a gelatinous material - that's how it was discovered by his colorectal surgeon - He also has perianal Crohns disease. Surgery was suggested and my husband refused and has just finished 6 weeks of radiation and 6 weeks with a chemo infusion PIC line 24/7. Am wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this type of cancer.

Comments

• hopefulcure
    hopefulcure Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am a 54 y/o female who ran the gamut with anal cancer. I had squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal and anus. It has taken me a long time to talk about it because I thought that I was the only person having this type of cancer. I have found that there are a number of people, mostly female in all age groups with this type of cancer or another type, but of the anal canal. I received chemo and radiation, and 4 months after treatment, my biopsies showed that it had returned. I personally think that it did not all go away. But I had an A/P resection on Aug. 2002, and have a permanent colostomy. The surgery was rough, but well worth the time spent healing. You did not mention your husbands age, but PLEASE encourage him to consider surgery if his physician suggests so. Refusing the surgery will for sure shorten his life, but by the grace of God, the chemo and radiation will work! I too, refused surgery, at first. Three months later I could stand the pain no longer. I am a complete functioning person. My colostomy gives me no problems. My skin is very fair and I sometimes have a problem with it around my stoma where the appliance is placed, but, I AM STILL ALIVE!!! Hope this helps.....
  • desertdreamer
    desertdreamer Member Posts: 12

Hi, I am a 54 y/o female who ran the gamut with anal cancer. I had squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal and anus. It has taken me a long time to talk about it because I thought that I was the only person having this type of cancer. I have found that there are a number of people, mostly female in all age groups with this type of cancer or another type, but of the anal canal. I received chemo and radiation, and 4 months after treatment, my biopsies showed that it had returned. I personally think that it did not all go away. But I had an A/P resection on Aug. 2002, and have a permanent colostomy. The surgery was rough, but well worth the time spent healing. You did not mention your husbands age, but PLEASE encourage him to consider surgery if his physician suggests so. Refusing the surgery will for sure shorten his life, but by the grace of God, the chemo and radiation will work! I too, refused surgery, at first. Three months later I could stand the pain no longer. I am a complete functioning person. My colostomy gives me no problems. My skin is very fair and I sometimes have a problem with it around my stoma where the appliance is placed, but, I AM STILL ALIVE!!! Hope this helps.....

Hi, I was 40 y/o when diagnosed with anal squamous cell cancer. I had chemo and radiation, which worked well, however, twice now I have had mets to the liver. I have had more chemo and then surgery. Now I am having more chemo. Do you have regular f/u scans? My doctor told me I was lucky that the mets was found because scans are not usually done for anal cancer because it doesn't usually metastasize. I don't know if this is true