Stage IV Adenocarcinoma-Signet Ring Cell Type

JerseyGuy
JerseyGuy Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,
I am a 48 y.o. male diagnosed in late February of this year with Stage IV adenocarcinoma with cells of the Signet Ring Type. Also was diagnosed with malignant ascites (fluid in the abdomen) In early March, I was admitted to a major university teaching hospital in Philadelphia where I had surgery - total colectomy with ileostomy. I am now in the postoperative healing stage prior to starting chemo and I just don't know what to expect. I am scared. Also, the adjustment to the ileostomy is quite difficult. If the cancer can be put into remission, I can go in for additional surgeries and a continent ileostomy can be built.

I had Inflammatory Bowel Disease for 32 years where I was monitored with annual colonoscopies with serial biopsies. My last colonoscopy was 15 months ago and that was clear, so, obviously this cancer is quite agressive. I am having trouble finding information on this particular type of cancer and the signet ring cell type. Does anyone have any info?

I would like to hear from folks in similar circumstances. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• cmcl
    cmcl Member Posts: 78
    Welcome JerseyGuy,
    I have not heard of your diagnoses, but you have come to the right place searching for answers. Everybody here is very helpful and supportive.
    What kind of chemo will you be starting? I wish you lots of luck. Most of all stay positive!
    Take care,
    Carolyn (a Jersey Girl)
  • KrisS
    KrisS Member Posts: 229
    Dear Jersy-

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis and that you have to be here. The reason that you have trouble finding information I think is because this is a much less common type of colorectal cancer. You might have to do a great deal more digging and asking to turn up information. I read a bit about it after I was diagnosed with peritoneal metastasis from a mid rectal carcinoma, wondering if I had this. It turned out I had the more conventional adenocarcinoma.

What type of chemotherapy are they recommending? I have been on oxaliplatin/Xeloda (an oral 5-FU like drug) for 10 mth with only mild problems. If you read the posts for the last 2 days, there have been a number of discussions with people who are just starting chemotherapy. Many people have found that the experience is not as bad as they thought it would be. There are many more strategies/medications to control or eliminate side effects that were a difficult problem even a few years ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your ileostomy. What sort of difficulties have you been having, if I may ask? I have had one since 9/02 that I never had reversed because I developed further metastatic disease. I have had no problems with it, and have considered that it has some advantages. I do not have to dash to the bathroom if I develop diarrhea, and when I was on a load of pain medications at one point did not have to worry about constipation!

Here is hoping that things start looking up for you soon.

Kris
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    the UOA and IOA sites will have a lot on ileostomy..Here are some chat sites and forums for more Ostomy information:
    Every second Sunday: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/ukostomysupport (UK
    Time)
    Monday: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/peopleswithostomy2 (US Time)
    Tuesday: http://www.stuartonline.com/chatroom.htm (US Time)
    Wednesday: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/ostomatessupport (US Time) and http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/ukostomysupport
    http://www.uoa.org/discussion_main.htm
    http://ostomyinternational.org/
    Bud
  • rep801
    rep801 Member Posts: 26
    JerseyGuy;

Like the others, sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

Signet Ring may or maynot be related to Pseudomyxoma Peritonei (PMP) which is what I have. There is a site for these relatively rare abdominal cancers called PMPPals that has lots of reference information on the varvious adenocarcinomas. You can find it at www.pmppals.org. There is a link as you scroll down the home page for Signet Ring. While you can join their support group for a fee, there is a great deal of free information there.

Good luck and God Bless

Bob
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    HI JerseyGuy, Sorry you have to be a mamber of this club. I'm stage III, hemicolectomy and halfway through my six months of chemo. Although my course is different, I wanted to respond to your fear about chemo. Despite being a nurse and having my dad go through a year of weekly chemo for his colon cancer, I was terrified of the prospect. My fears were largely unfounded. I got good suggestions here..including to stay well hydrated during and after chemo. I believe it has helped; my side effects on 5FU and leucovorin have been annoying, but very manageable.
    Hope you find help with the info you need; wishing you well, hang in there. Judy
  • HisJoy
    HisJoy Member Posts: 113
    Hi! I am responding to a post from March 2004, so hope this finds you well. I, too, have adenocarcinoma of the signet cell type - very aggressive and fast-moving. Fortunately, mine was caught in stage 3B, just before another organ was affected - we HOPE! My chemo starts next week. Any words of advice or encouragement? Are you doing OK now?? I had a right hemicolectomy, so not nearly as severe as yours.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    HisJoy said:

Hi! I am responding to a post from March 2004, so hope this finds you well. I, too, have adenocarcinoma of the signet cell type - very aggressive and fast-moving. Fortunately, mine was caught in stage 3B, just before another organ was affected - we HOPE! My chemo starts next week. Any words of advice or encouragement? Are you doing OK now?? I had a right hemicolectomy, so not nearly as severe as yours.

Bumped for Vilma80
    Here's some old posts with info. If you type in Signet Cell in the search box, LOADS Of threads come up.

Wishing your precious husband healing and wishing you peace.

Diane
  • doctorjohndo
    doctorjohndo Member Posts: 1
    cmcl said:

Welcome JerseyGuy,
    I have not heard of your diagnoses, but you have come to the right place searching for answers. Everybody here is very helpful and supportive.
    What kind of chemo will you be starting? I wish you lots of luck. Most of all stay positive!
    Take care,
    Carolyn (a Jersey Girl)

Signet Cell Carcinoma

Dear Carolyn,

My younger brother was just recently diagnosed with Stage IV Signet Cell Carcinoma of the colon.   At first we though it was localized to the ascending colon, but have since discovered that there are metastasis to the retro-peritoneal structures incuding the lypmh nodes, omentum and anterior/lateral peritoneal wall.   I've read all the stats and we recognize the prognosis is poor .  He intends to start Chemotherapy after getting a hemicollectomy.  Other than HIPEC, do you or anyone else reading this know of any experimental treatments that we should consider?  Do you know any Physicians (East Coast or Mid West) in particular that has a great deal of experience with HIPEC?  My brother is 36 year old, otherwise healthy, father of two including a 4-month old baby.   As you might imagined, we're all pretty devasted by the news.    

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Signet Cell Carcinoma

Dear Carolyn,

My younger brother was just recently diagnosed with Stage IV Signet Cell Carcinoma of the colon.   At first we though it was localized to the ascending colon, but have since discovered that there are metastasis to the retro-peritoneal structures incuding the lypmh nodes, omentum and anterior/lateral peritoneal wall.   I've read all the stats and we recognize the prognosis is poor .  He intends to start Chemotherapy after getting a hemicollectomy.  Other than HIPEC, do you or anyone else reading this know of any experimental treatments that we should consider?  Do you know any Physicians (East Coast or Mid West) in particular that has a great deal of experience with HIPEC?  My brother is 36 year old, otherwise healthy, father of two including a 4-month old baby.   As you might imagined, we're all pretty devasted by the news.    

Welcome new member

Sadly, this post is very old, over ten years, and many of those who have posted here, no longer come to the forum.

It would proabbly be better if you start your own thread, and those who are active or lurking can help you. 

If you have trouble starting your own thread, just send me a private message. 

Trubrit