script appetite stimulants?

ABETHM
ABETHM Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Y'all (I'm from Georgia - what do you expect?)
Mom is doing okay, but still somewhat nauseated and little appetite. Have a visit scheduled to the DR this week with the old lady - can anyone recommend presciption appetite stimulants they have tried or heard of (or argue against?)

Tks
Beth

Comments

• bryancarson
    bryancarson Member Posts: 47
    I don't know, but when I was on chemo. Nothing sounded good. They just made me eat. Plain and simple. Try juicing. Be sure she is taking some vitamin supplements and maybe yous should try some broth, if she loses to much weight or goes more than 7 days without eating anything, then get the Dr. involved. Until then...she has enough dr.s and stuff to think about. I loved Mac and Cheese when I was on chemo, anything soft and easy to chew...
    Good luck
    Bryan
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Howdy, Beth -

I can't really speak to appetite stimulants, but kipper1 had a good post on some special foods that really helpe with weight gain - you should check them out down below.

- SB
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member

I don't know, but when I was on chemo. Nothing sounded good. They just made me eat. Plain and simple. Try juicing. Be sure she is taking some vitamin supplements and maybe yous should try some broth, if she loses to much weight or goes more than 7 days without eating anything, then get the Dr. involved. Until then...she has enough dr.s and stuff to think about. I loved Mac and Cheese when I was on chemo, anything soft and easy to chew...
    Good luck
    Bryan

Bryan -

My favorite was mac & cheese with hotdogs cut up into it - you ever try that? The perfect bachelor food, mostly all the food groups (I exclude vegetables as a food group), 10 minutes to cook, portable (1 bowl in front of the TV), and, since the cat likes it too, no need to do dishes. Just put the nearly-empty bowl on the living room floor for 30 minutes and place the clean bowl back into the cupboard!

Take care

- SB
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    spongebob said:

Howdy, Beth -

I can't really speak to appetite stimulants, but kipper1 had a good post on some special foods that really helpe with weight gain - you should check them out down below.

- SB

Understand your concern--not much as far as stimulants I can offer but did find dry crackers very helpfull.Probably the best advice I can give is to eat "very small" amounts frequently!
    our best , kanga n Jen
  • goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    Hi ABETHM. My boss's mom was having trouble with appetite and nausea from chemo and her MD prescribed the pill form of marijuana. Worked for her this time and many years ago when she had the same trouble with chemo. I haven't had to try it yet, but i think if i develop poor appetite (on 5FU and leucovorin) i may ask about it.
  • cmcl
    cmcl Member Posts: 78
    goldfinch said:

Hi ABETHM. My boss's mom was having trouble with appetite and nausea from chemo and her MD prescribed the pill form of marijuana. Worked for her this time and many years ago when she had the same trouble with chemo. I haven't had to try it yet, but i think if i develop poor appetite (on 5FU and leucovorin) i may ask about it.

Hi Beth,
    I had a lot of trouble with appetite and nausea. I tried Marinol (pill of marjuana), but I didn't like it, the spinnning room only made me feel worse. I did try Megace, which really worked well. I would use it every now and then. The only thing is the taste is horrible, I would hold my nose to get it down. Amazingly within a couple of hours I was hungry. I also craved salty foods which is supposed to help with nausea, but now I love raw carrots with veggie dip and hard boiled eggs. Go figure!
    Good luck and take care,
    Carolyn
  • bryancarson
    bryancarson Member Posts: 47
    spongebob said:

Bryan -

My favorite was mac & cheese with hotdogs cut up into it - you ever try that? The perfect bachelor food, mostly all the food groups (I exclude vegetables as a food group), 10 minutes to cook, portable (1 bowl in front of the TV), and, since the cat likes it too, no need to do dishes. Just put the nearly-empty bowl on the living room floor for 30 minutes and place the clean bowl back into the cupboard!

Take care

- SB

Hey SB - I'm not a huge fan of hot dogs, but my dog sure loves them. I agree, no clean up is the greatest. I let my dog lick the bowl clean (it doesn't take 30 minutes though - 1 benifit of dogs over cats)and when the pot was cool enough, he licked that clean two (Second point for dogs)

Have a good one.
    Bryan
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    My onc put me on appetite stimulants - oh boy, did they work. When I wasn't in the bathroom, I was in the refrigerator eating everything in sight. Salads did not doo well for me and most veggies didn't have a good taste - but bread, cereals and most anything starchy tasted really satisfying. I wish more healthful foods had tasted as good - now, 6 months after chemo, I am trying to take off the 15 lbs I gained on chemo!! Ha! It's always something! But I'll take dieting over cancer and chemo any day!

Kerry