I need help

Rickjackson
Rickjackson Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My wife had a stage 0 cancer removed from her colon a little while ago. She now has a spot in her lung that she is getting looked at next week. I am in the military and am currently overseas and I need some help in helping her deal with this as well as some help dealing with it myself.

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Hi, Tony -

I am also active duty military and a colon cancer survivor. I will be very happy to help you out any way I can.

Where are you based? How long have you been there? Have you discussed this matter with your command? Have you considered a HUMS back to the states? I strongly suggest you consider reassignment, especially to the DC area. DC has Bethesda National Naval Medical Center. Walter Reid is OK, but Bethesda is in a joint oncology program with the National Institute of Health National Cancer Research Center. That's where I got my treatment and it was wonderful (as wonderful as cancer treatment goes).

Drop a note and lemme know any specific questions you have. Is your wife sked for a PET scan? If so, when is it?

Best regards

- SpongeBob
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Hi Tony,
    This must be a hard time for you both. Have you given your wife this site to try herself? My husband was out of the country on a short trip when I got my initial positive diagnosis from a small polyp found during my baseline colonoscopy. We didn't see this coming and I felt like I was holding my breath until my husband got back and heard the news. Good luck to you both. SB is both a rock and a font of military info...hope you find it helpful. Judy