How Come Everyone Has A Butt?

andreae
andreae Member Posts: 236
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Sorry guys... Just kind of confused. I read the ostomy message and I'm just wondering how you all have an opening. My butt is completely sewn up! Is this cause it's permanent? All I know is that the doctor told me that "nothing could be preserved", had this really huge operation and now my butt's sewn up... Is this not the situation for everyone? Hmmmm... I'm a very lost ostomate... Also wondering, is anyone else there sewn up? When do your stitches become loose? I still have trouble straddling (okay, no funny idea guys) or really stretching my legs. I guess my future as a contortionist is over, sigh. And I had such potential (he,he)!

Thinking of all of you!
Andrea

Comments

• aspaysia
    aspaysia Member Posts: 250
    If the tumour is in the rectum and there is too much damage due to perforation you will loose everything to the surgeon's knife. In my case they could not do a reconstruction and I was all sewed like you. I nearly lost the vaginal wall next to the tumour but that was not necessary. However, they took my tailbone. How barbaric.

I was given some PT to stretch out the scar tissue and started coming apart at the seams because of radiation damage. One year of wound management later I still feel my skin drawing up around the incisions and walk funny. Ok, guys stifle those jokes. This is a real problem and Andreae and I are not just feeding you straight lines here.

If you are completely healed (no holes) try a little gentle exercise like yoga. It may not be too late. I take vitamin E and C for skin repair for all the good it did me.

Asp
  • MelStar
    MelStar Member Posts: 31
    Hi Andrea! You don't say if you have a colostomy or ileostomy, but my grandmother had the same experience--they were supposed to just resect her, but she was so full of polyps all though her colon and bowel, the surgeon decided to remove it all. She now has an ileostomy and they sewed her rectum completely shut. Can't answer any more of your questions, but I'm sure someone can.

Keep the faith!

MelStar
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    MelStar said:

Hi Andrea! You don't say if you have a colostomy or ileostomy, but my grandmother had the same experience--they were supposed to just resect her, but she was so full of polyps all though her colon and bowel, the surgeon decided to remove it all. She now has an ileostomy and they sewed her rectum completely shut. Can't answer any more of your questions, but I'm sure someone can.

Keep the faith!

MelStar

Hi guys--Andrea--I had cancer of the ascending colon with polyps found also in the sigmoid(just above the rectum) I was fortunate that they were able to leave the rectum so didn,t lose my anus-no colostomy.Some of us semi-colons are lucky I guess to retain a "normal" butt---really feel for those who did not as my surgeon initial told me "don't be surprised if you wake up without a hole after surgery"---geez-was I petrified at that comment!
    cheers kanga and Jen
  • kangatoo said:

Hi guys--Andrea--I had cancer of the ascending colon with polyps found also in the sigmoid(just above the rectum) I was fortunate that they were able to leave the rectum so didn,t lose my anus-no colostomy.Some of us semi-colons are lucky I guess to retain a "normal" butt---really feel for those who did not as my surgeon initial told me "don't be surprised if you wake up without a hole after surgery"---geez-was I petrified at that comment!
    cheers kanga and Jen

Kanga, you are so funny. I know it's no laughing matter, truly I do, but reading Andrea's post, Asp's reply, and then yours, I couldn't help but smile. Thanks guys for making me smile today. Again, I know it's not funny...nothing about this disease is, but you all have so much humor in you and a way with words...Sponge look out...these guys will give you a run for your money.

Hugs,
    Monika
  • Andrea, sweetheart, this has nothing to do with your post, but I promised you I would get back to you with the doses that Bert is on. I've posted them for Bud in reply to his post "Truck" but here they are for you as well. Sorry, I didn't find the info until today.

Leuc 784 mg (3 hour drip)
    Oxal 196 mg (3 hour drip)
    5fu 637 mg push
    5fu 3,920 mg pump infusion over 46 hours.

Have a great weekend sweetie and a lovely, lovely Valentine's Day.

Hugs,
    Monika
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Andrea...

A couple of comments:

1. I'm a little concerned when you sign off a post titled "How Come Everyone Has A Butt?" with the phrase "Thinking of all of you!" - is that happenstance or is it Freudian? Hmmm... almost as profound a question as the the one you posed...

2. I have heard of people losing their @$$ in, oh, say the stock market. Do you think that this could be the genesis of that phrase?

3. Regarding "straddling", ... naw, never mind, Jose would ban me for life if I went there!

Thank you for your profound contemplation - I must go drink now so I can ponder it with a more appropriate mindset!

- SB

P.S. Don't feel too bad about losing your career as a contortionist. My surgery cost me the cover shot on Sports Illustrated's first-ever men's swimsuit edition! May career as a thong model is officially over... my world is crushed... I'll never make it into the thong hall of fame (or is it flame?)
  • aspaysia
    aspaysia Member Posts: 250
    spongebob said:

Andrea...

A couple of comments:

1. I'm a little concerned when you sign off a post titled "How Come Everyone Has A Butt?" with the phrase "Thinking of all of you!" - is that happenstance or is it Freudian? Hmmm... almost as profound a question as the the one you posed...

2. I have heard of people losing their @$$ in, oh, say the stock market. Do you think that this could be the genesis of that phrase?

3. Regarding "straddling", ... naw, never mind, Jose would ban me for life if I went there!

Thank you for your profound contemplation - I must go drink now so I can ponder it with a more appropriate mindset!

- SB

P.S. Don't feel too bad about losing your career as a contortionist. My surgery cost me the cover shot on Sports Illustrated's first-ever men's swimsuit edition! May career as a thong model is officially over... my world is crushed... I'll never make it into the thong hall of fame (or is it flame?)

The Hall of Flame? It must be true what they say about the navy. I know a guy who joined up because he thought it would 'make him more of a man.' Or was that 'make him more men?' I am deaf in one ear.

Asp, who isn't really asking so you don't have to tell.
  • kangatoo
    aspaysia said:

The Hall of Flame? It must be true what they say about the navy. I know a guy who joined up because he thought it would 'make him more of a man.' Or was that 'make him more men?' I am deaf in one ear.

Asp, who isn't really asking so you don't have to tell.

Monikaz--didn't you know us AWWWZYYY'S have a sense of humour---when you live on the other side of the world "upside down" somethings gotta come out funny!
    Aspaysia---geez girl--you don't look like you walk funny to me(I got a 3rd eye so can spiritually see yah!)--only ladies I see walk funny are the one's trying a fake walk on the fashion catwalk(and that sometimes ain't pretty!)

----"JAY" will probably now suffer the ladies wrath for commenting on beauty queens!

And as far as giving Spongebob a run for his money--he can run as far as he likes--no way am I running over here in 45 deg heat!(thats hot here in centigrade--lol)
    luv guys kanga and Jen
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo said:

Monikaz--didn't you know us AWWWZYYY'S have a sense of humour---when you live on the other side of the world "upside down" somethings gotta come out funny!
    Aspaysia---geez girl--you don't look like you walk funny to me(I got a 3rd eye so can spiritually see yah!)--only ladies I see walk funny are the one's trying a fake walk on the fashion catwalk(and that sometimes ain't pretty!)

----"JAY" will probably now suffer the ladies wrath for commenting on beauty queens!

And as far as giving Spongebob a run for his money--he can run as far as he likes--no way am I running over here in 45 deg heat!(thats hot here in centigrade--lol)
    luv guys kanga and Jen

BTW--I accidentally put JAY as my name in the recent post--course yu all know me as kanga--but this crazy forum wouldn't let me use JAY --which I use on our Aussie cancer site----did that explain anything?
    got me baffled--he he
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Andrea: just think of yourself as an early bag lady..that thing hanging there saved your life, and there are many quite normal "buttless wonders"
    out there on the UOA, IOA & Shaz's ostomate site..they also have a worldwide chat on Saturdays. Bagger Bud