Liver Resection--now what?

blessedhf
blessedhf Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband had a colectomy 13 mo. ago w/no chemo afterward. 3 weeks ago he was diagnosed with a mass on his liver. PET Scan showed stage I w/no distant mets. 40% of the liver was resected two days ago. Now What? I think he should have chemo or something this time. What type of chemo? I have read other posts where it usually goes to the lung or back to the liver. Any cases of not returning at all? What do you think

Comments

• Hi. I wish I could help you on this but I can't. I do know that after colon resection, generally stage II or III's are definitely recommended to go on chemo. May I ask why your husband wasn't put on any? My husband was diagnosed stage III, no mets, node involvement 7/03. Complete, successful resection done, followed by 5fu/leuc of six weeks each week for a total of 18 treatments. He is now, as added insurance, on an additional three months of 5fu/leuc/oxal and has had a "suspecious" CAT scan showing unclassified nodules in both lungs as well as rising CEA levels. We will know more on that within the next few days.

I know of many folks who have had colon cancer come back in the liver, have complete successful resection followed by chemo therapy to give them an added advantage. I would assume that adjuvant chemo would be the way to go.

Sorry that I couldn't be of any more help but I am sure there will be many others here who have had similar experience that will be contacting you. In the meantime, hang in there, don't let the feathers droop (LOL) and never give up hope.

Monika
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Hi, blessedhf -

You and your poor hubby have been through it, haven't you? Sounds like you're hanging tough, though. There are several good stories of liver mets survival here - Stacy will sound off soon and give you some good perspective.
    '
    Hang tough - you guys are doing great!

- SpongeBob
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Wow...I must be pretty predictable, as SpongeBob knows that I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut...

Anyway...I was stage 4. My liver was also victim of the disease, and I too lost 40% (now I wonder if all docs use the same percentage, or if that is a real coincidence?). After the surgery, I went through chemo as a means of "cleaning up" any microscopic little nippers that may still be around. I also had the chemo and radiation prior to my surgery as well, in an effort to shrink the original tumor. That all happened over 2 years ago, and today I am fine. My clean up chemo was camposar and 5fu. And I am proud to say I had no side effects and was very blessed.

Please let me know if I can help in any way...

Best Wishes,

Stacy