Anyone w/ stage1 T2 B

eab
eab Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I have lung cancer stage 1 T2B. Is there anyone out there w/ same and what kind of treatment given. I had my lower left lobe removed and I'm told that probably I should have chemo as soon as my health is back. After researching this, I found that in the past years it was not standard for anyone with same stage to have chemo after surgery. However, nowadays they are recommending it. Are there survivors out there w/ similar staging? And is there anyone out there who had chemotherapy after surgery? Also, I am more frightened to have the chemo because of all the things I have heard about it. They plan on using cisplatin and toxotere. I hear that the side effects of this drug is not good. Is it really beneficial to go ahead with this? I am 43 years old and only weigh 91 lbs. My recovery from the surgery has been slow and I can only imagine what I have to go through going through chemo.

Comments

• michaelcie
    michaelcie Member Posts: 133
    hi, I am Mike, I have small cell lung cancer and am inoperable, I had the cisplatnum, carboplatnum, vp-16, taxol and radiation. you are right to question about the chemo, I don't want to be trouble , but I would seek a second opinion because the chemo does cause weight loss, and if you are starting out underweight, I would definitely get a second opinion. I am so sorry I can't be any better help, but we are in this mess together, and I am with you !!! You only have one life and it is yours to chose the right treatments. God bless and in my prayers, Mike my e-mail address is handle@nauticom.net if you want to e-mail me. there is also info at www.cancerpage.com
  • Hi:

My mom, who is 69 and a tiny thing, was diagnosed last year as stage III inoperable lung cancer because it had spread to one lousy little lymph node below her collar bone on the same side as her tumor that was right smack dab in the middle of her left lung. She wishes she could have had surgery but alas, that was not to be.

Although I can't recall the chemo regime she was placed on (it was a strong one...that much I know) her side effects, with the exception of a loosing all her hair, were actually quite tolerable. She only experienced some minor fatigue...no weight loss, no diarrhea, no nausea, etc. However, the six weeks of daily radiation that followed the chemo (to which she had a great response) was something else. It wore her out, physically, more than the chemo did. However, my mom did not have a choice. Apparently, you do. My suggestion, definitely get a second opinion and if possible, at a major cancer center.

On another note, my husband, 51, was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer this year. When it rains, it pours. He was operable and they found no evidence of disease elsewhere. However, his survival chances increase from 50% to 67% - 70% by taking adjuvant chemotherapy. You didn't have to ask him twice, nor for that matter, me. But again, his is a different situation but even before undergoing the chemo regime, which he is still on, we did most definitely get a second and even a third opinion...all of which came back to the same recommendation. In previous years, many stage III colon cancer patients did not receive chemo when technically "cured" by surgery. However, studies indicated that recurrence rate on those who didn't was much higher than on those who did. Recurrence with colon cancer places you into a stage IV category at which point, there is no more cure.

Hope this info helps a little. Please, get a second opinion...if not a third.

Peace,
    Monika
  • bobmc
    bobmc Member Posts: 47
    Hello Eab;
    I was stage IIB,and had my left lung removed 2 and 1/2/ years ago. I was not offered the chemo because at that time it was not recommended. As you said it is now being offered which is based on the latist tests which show an additional 5% survival rate. Like I said, I'm 2&1/2 yr's post op and I wish I would have had it. When your being checked every 3 months for reocurrances that extra 5% matters and provides some comfort. My advise is to get the chemo, work on improving your weight and hand in there.
    God bless, know your not alone, and be well
    Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01; " absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"
  • jalexander
    jalexander Member Posts: 31
    I'm 42, stage IIIb, had right lung removed 01/15/03. Also had chemo drugs Gemzar and Carboplatin after surgery as "precautionary" prevention. I had two tumors in the lung that was removed so they knew the cancer had spread through the blood stream somehow. These chemo drugs were not a problem at all for me. I was back to work April 1 while I was still on chemo. Prior to surgery I had one dose of Taxotere with carboplatin which really took it's toll. I was going through radiation at the same time. After the first few treatments the board of doctors decided that surgery was the best option for me. I was told the Gemzar is a much better drug as far as side affects, but it cannot be used at the same time as radiation. I hope this offers some help. Reply if you want to talk more. Best of luck.
  • mayos
    mayos Member Posts: 1
    I am 55 and had my rt upper lobe removed last Sept....dx: 3.7cm adenocarcinoma...stage 1B. I just finished adjuvent chemo (cisplatin/navelbine). I did not lose my hair...but have suffered from bouts of 'manageable' nausea and fatigue caused by anemia. I was given different types of antinausea meds and Procrit to fight the anemia. I'll be screened soon by catscan to see if I have any 'hot spots'. Please feel free to email me...I'm also digging for as much info as possible.
  • kjmconway
    kjmconway Member Posts: 7
    mayos said:

I am 55 and had my rt upper lobe removed last Sept....dx: 3.7cm adenocarcinoma...stage 1B. I just finished adjuvent chemo (cisplatin/navelbine). I did not lose my hair...but have suffered from bouts of 'manageable' nausea and fatigue caused by anemia. I was given different types of antinausea meds and Procrit to fight the anemia. I'll be screened soon by catscan to see if I have any 'hot spots'. Please feel free to email me...I'm also digging for as much info as possible.

Please reply if at all
    Please reply if at all possible. I am 50 and am getting ready to have port put in next week then will start the same chemo as you. My nurse told me that I would absolutely 100 percent lose my hair. I am having 16 treatments of the same meds as you. I have read on here where having ones partial lung removed will feel better soon. It has been 7 weeks and there is not a day goes by and barely even any minutes where I do not still hurt from it. They also removed two ribs, but I am not one that can sit around, and maybe I did not take it easy enough after the surgery. My pulmonologist told me that I would always have a dull ache there....UGH...makes me mad. I just want to feel better. but in preparing myself for chemo... I am still torn on as if I want to do it. But if I knew maybe some of the side effects might not be as bad, I might not be so scared.
    Thanks
    Kathi
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    kjmconway said:

Please reply if at all
    Please reply if at all possible. I am 50 and am getting ready to have port put in next week then will start the same chemo as you. My nurse told me that I would absolutely 100 percent lose my hair. I am having 16 treatments of the same meds as you. I have read on here where having ones partial lung removed will feel better soon. It has been 7 weeks and there is not a day goes by and barely even any minutes where I do not still hurt from it. They also removed two ribs, but I am not one that can sit around, and maybe I did not take it easy enough after the surgery. My pulmonologist told me that I would always have a dull ache there....UGH...makes me mad. I just want to feel better. but in preparing myself for chemo... I am still torn on as if I want to do it. But if I knew maybe some of the side effects might not be as bad, I might not be so scared.
    Thanks
    Kathi

Side effects
    Kathi,

I'm 53 now - 4 years ago I was on Cisplatin for a time, and yes, you will lose your hair (I shaved my head as soon as it started coming out), about 10 days to 2 weeks into treatment. It does grow back - mine came in with a little more curl than before :) As far as the other side effects, I never experienced nausea, while the woman next to me getting the same meds, did. It's pretty easily controllable with anti-nausea meds added to the mix, though. The upshot of this post is that many people react differently to the same chemo, so think positive! Good luck, Kathi.

Deb
  • kjmconway
    kjmconway Member Posts: 7

Side effects
    Kathi,

I'm 53 now - 4 years ago I was on Cisplatin for a time, and yes, you will lose your hair (I shaved my head as soon as it started coming out), about 10 days to 2 weeks into treatment. It does grow back - mine came in with a little more curl than before :) As far as the other side effects, I never experienced nausea, while the woman next to me getting the same meds, did. It's pretty easily controllable with anti-nausea meds added to the mix, though. The upshot of this post is that many people react differently to the same chemo, so think positive! Good luck, Kathi.

Deb

Thank you Deb. People that
    Thank you Deb. People that talk to me are always amazed at how positive I am....but that is not to say that when I am alone I don't cry my eyes out. But it doesn't last long. I am alone except for my two grown kids, so I HAVE to stay positive to get through this. I don't really care if I lose my hair, just wondering. Well, not totally true, I am vain as the next one.
    Deb, if I may ask has yours returned??
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    kjmconway said:

Thank you Deb. People that
    Thank you Deb. People that talk to me are always amazed at how positive I am....but that is not to say that when I am alone I don't cry my eyes out. But it doesn't last long. I am alone except for my two grown kids, so I HAVE to stay positive to get through this. I don't really care if I lose my hair, just wondering. Well, not totally true, I am vain as the next one.
    Deb, if I may ask has yours returned??

Has which returned, my cancer, or my hair? :)
    My hair came back after the chemo, better than before (too bad I didn't lose the gray) - more body and curl than I had ever had. I didn't believe those stories until it happened to me!

The cancer came back in a way - it metastasized to my brain, as lung cancer often does. I had whole-brain radiation which made me lose my hair a second time, and it's growing back now, if more slowly than last time; my last radiation was in February and I have about a quarter-inch of hair now.

I think a lot of us put up a positive front and save our breakdowns for when we're alone, it's just human nature to want to appear strong in front of the world. I hope your kids live nearby and can provide some emotional support for you...

Deb