Ablation of Liver and Lung

patty ann
patty ann Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My Mom was diagnosed with colon cancer in January 2002. After surgery to remove the tumor and surrounding lympnodes, she began treatment with 5FU/Lycoveren combination. She became extremely ill with the typical dose so her dose was adjusted to 70% of the typical dose. She completed treatment in October 2002 and ended up in intensive care for 2 weeks, recovery for 4 weeks and rehab for 2 weeks. Her body just broke down because of the chemo. In January 2003, her CTScan indicated that the colon cancer had spread to the liver and lung. Believing that the incident the previous fall was the result of the 5FU, they started her on CPT-11. Two treatments of CPT-11 and she ended up in the hospital for two weeks. The next level of treatment they tried was Xeloda which she has taken since May. Unfortunately, the Xeloda is not working the tumors are still growing. We are going for a second opinion this week to see if she is a candidate for ablation. Liver ablation is common, but ablation of tumors on two different organ systems is not common. Is anyone familiar with ablation of tumors on two different organs? Needless to say we are praying this will be the answer. Any help anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Hi Patty Ann,

So sorry about your mother. Since the protocol did not work and the cancer spread have you thought about looking into a different approach such as alternatives? There are many healing approaches that involve diet changes, juicing, enzymes etc that battle the cancer cells and do not put you in the hospital.

There are certain supplements that work to cut off the blood supply to the tumors there by starving them to death. It's called anti-angiogenisis. Shark cartilage is one such supplement. People are living and beating cancer all the time from non chemo methods.
    Essiac tea has had some good results. Macrobiotics is another approach. Raw foods. Carrot juice. Detoxing......Rife machines. Have you researched any options that do not include more chemo that is obviously making your mother very sick.

Hope your mother recovers.

peace, emily
  • 2bhealed said:

Hi Patty Ann,

So sorry about your mother. Since the protocol did not work and the cancer spread have you thought about looking into a different approach such as alternatives? There are many healing approaches that involve diet changes, juicing, enzymes etc that battle the cancer cells and do not put you in the hospital.

There are certain supplements that work to cut off the blood supply to the tumors there by starving them to death. It's called anti-angiogenisis. Shark cartilage is one such supplement. People are living and beating cancer all the time from non chemo methods.
    Essiac tea has had some good results. Macrobiotics is another approach. Raw foods. Carrot juice. Detoxing......Rife machines. Have you researched any options that do not include more chemo that is obviously making your mother very sick.

Hope your mother recovers.

peace, emily

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hello Patty Ann...

My cancer spread from my colon to my liver, but it was able to be removed through surgery with success, two years ago. The 5FU (there is a reason that is called FU...!) and CPT-11 along with Lycoveren worked well for me, and I didn't need to look into other options. I agree with emily that nutrition plays a role in recovery, but I don't think I could be as brave as her and use that as the only means of treatment. I know people may laugh at my trust in doctors, but I don't feel educated enough to offer any sure cure without hesitation. Maybe your mom's doses of chemo were too strong for her metabolism? Maybe smaller doses over a longer period may work as well as higher doses over a short period?

I'll keep you in my prayers, and please let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Stacy
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member

Hello Patty Ann...

My cancer spread from my colon to my liver, but it was able to be removed through surgery with success, two years ago. The 5FU (there is a reason that is called FU...!) and CPT-11 along with Lycoveren worked well for me, and I didn't need to look into other options. I agree with emily that nutrition plays a role in recovery, but I don't think I could be as brave as her and use that as the only means of treatment. I know people may laugh at my trust in doctors, but I don't feel educated enough to offer any sure cure without hesitation. Maybe your mom's doses of chemo were too strong for her metabolism? Maybe smaller doses over a longer period may work as well as higher doses over a short period?

I'll keep you in my prayers, and please let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Stacy

Me Brave?? No way!! My surgeon told me that chemo would kill me and I believed him!! Chemo scared me to death. YOU guys are the brave ones to take that stuff!!

peace, em

ps. depending on who is doing the research determines the quackery opinion!
  • patty ann
    patty ann Member Posts: 2
    First, I just want to thank everyone for their support. I didn't know how much I really needed it until I accessed this site. My Dad passed away 10 years ago and I am all my Mom has to lean on. Sometimes, the support role can become overwhelming. You guys are the best. We went for the second opinion on Wednesday. The new oncologist suggested surgery as the way to go since Mom is healthy and could handle the procedure and since her cancer was restricted to the liver and lung. We agreed. He then sent us to speak to the surgeon to discuss the procedure. The surgeon found a "third" spot near the aorta that was questionable. A THIRD SPOT! Why didn't the multiple oncologists who reviewed the CTScan pick up on this. We are now scheduled for a PET scan this week to confirm if the aorta spot is malignant. The next step is based on the outcome of the PET scan. Hope and faith (and being educated about our options)are what keeps us going. Thanks for all your support.