treatments for stage IV??

indydaughter
indydaughter Member Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone could share some of their treatments for stage 4 ...my mom was on oxilplatin, 5fu, lev...it worked for 8 months , then the liver tumors started growing again...went on cpt 11, the tumors kept growing, now on xeloda, and having hard side efects...no CT done yet. She is in a lottery for the c 225 drug, but that is a LONG shot. Does anyone know if it is possible to go back on a chemo such as oxaliplatin, once you have already tried it?? Any suggestions you have are GREATLY appreciated....I am trying to find out as much as possible and relay the info to my mom out of state.

Thanks and God Bless.

Comments

• KrisS
    KrisS Member Posts: 229
    I am stage 4. I went back on oxaliplatin/Xeloda after my tumors started progressing post op after being off oxaliplatin 4 mth. It has shrunk my metastatic nodules down a lot, but I had been off of it when they started to grow again. If tumors were growing during the time your mom was being treatment with oxaliplatin, I would suspect that the oncologists would not expect it to help again.

I spotted a clinical trial at the NIH clinical trials site using Avistan the vascular growth inhibitor in patients who had failed oxaliplatin and CPT 11. You may want to check that out.

Hope this helps. My prayers are with you both.

Kris
  • indydaughter
    Kris,

Thanks for the info!!!! I'll pass the info on to my mom!!!

Thanks,
    Indydaughter
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member

Kris,

Thanks for the info!!!! I'll pass the info on to my mom!!!

Thanks,
    Indydaughter

This doesn't answer your chemo question but may I suggest a good book to read about a woman who tried everything oncology gave her but when on to beat her cancer after the doc's gave up.

A Cancer Battle Plan by Anne Frahm

The best to you and your mom.

peace, emily
  • Tatie
    Tatie Member Posts: 28
    Her husband wrote a good book also, she did die after 10 years. After I read his book, first thing I did was take all my black fillings out and replace them with porcelain ones, and gave away my clock radio and other electrical applicances to decrease radio activity in the house.
  • 2bhealed
    Tatie said:

Her husband wrote a good book also, she did die after 10 years. After I read his book, first thing I did was take all my black fillings out and replace them with porcelain ones, and gave away my clock radio and other electrical applicances to decrease radio activity in the house.

And to clarify her death....it was due to blood transfusions she had during all her chemo treatments.
    Her liver got poisoned basically. but she beat the cancer!!!

peace, emily
  • Tatie
    Tatie Member Posts: 28
    Dont' get me wrong, I liked her book very much, but that diet is not for everyone. And I don't mean it's hard, it's just some people can not go vegan like that, I tried and it made me throw up, I had to cut down on the fruit and get some grains in me to settle my stomach, but some people have no trouble, I thought I would mention it, in case someone is having difficulties and think they are doing something wrong. Also, just want to say that, her chapter on "You are responsible for your cancer" was hard to swallow. She needed to expand on it, I think. I was just shocking to me, it was very hard to read when I was sick and learning I had myself to blame for it.
  • 2bhealed
    Tatie said:

Dont' get me wrong, I liked her book very much, but that diet is not for everyone. And I don't mean it's hard, it's just some people can not go vegan like that, I tried and it made me throw up, I had to cut down on the fruit and get some grains in me to settle my stomach, but some people have no trouble, I thought I would mention it, in case someone is having difficulties and think they are doing something wrong. Also, just want to say that, her chapter on "You are responsible for your cancer" was hard to swallow. She needed to expand on it, I think. I was just shocking to me, it was very hard to read when I was sick and learning I had myself to blame for it.

The important point I failed to make in my original post is that when chemos fail and doctors have no other "magic bullets" to give you, there ARE successful alternatives to what the oncologists have. She is just one such success story. There are hundreds of others. Max Gerson has had repectable success with his program. Royal Rife used a completely different approach that did not involve diet at all. There is the Dr. Kelly approach which I think, if I remember correctly, uses enzymes. We just don't hear about these in the mainstream because their studies are not subsidized by the all powerful pharmaceutical companies. But there is so much out there if you just research. Find what's right for you. There are the Raw Food Diets and Macrobiotic diets which allow for cooked and steamed foods mostly vegetarian but not exclusively. I just thought the book would be a good introduction into contemplating other successful approaches when what Western Medicine has to offer fails.

peace, emily
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    2bhealed said:

The important point I failed to make in my original post is that when chemos fail and doctors have no other "magic bullets" to give you, there ARE successful alternatives to what the oncologists have. She is just one such success story. There are hundreds of others. Max Gerson has had repectable success with his program. Royal Rife used a completely different approach that did not involve diet at all. There is the Dr. Kelly approach which I think, if I remember correctly, uses enzymes. We just don't hear about these in the mainstream because their studies are not subsidized by the all powerful pharmaceutical companies. But there is so much out there if you just research. Find what's right for you. There are the Raw Food Diets and Macrobiotic diets which allow for cooked and steamed foods mostly vegetarian but not exclusively. I just thought the book would be a good introduction into contemplating other successful approaches when what Western Medicine has to offer fails.

peace, emily

Hi, indydaughter - sorry to butt in (no pun intended)...

Emily - What are your thoughts on Essiac tea?

p.s. Getting all hunkered down for Hurricane Isabel here in DC! Anyone want to come over for a Hurricane Party?

- SB ; )
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    spongebob said:

p.s. Getting all hunkered down for Hurricane Isabel here in DC! Anyone want to come over for a Hurricane Party?

- SB ; )

Hi SpongeBob,

Hey, I heard Hurricane Parties can be a great deal of fun . So bring on the Jimmy Buffett and what time are we starting ?

Lisa
  • 2bhealed
    spongebob said:

- SB ; )

I have used Essiac in my protocol. It is one of the herbal rememdies that comes up quite frequently in the alternative cures world that has been successful. I highly recommend it.
    I am currently studying the Hallelujah Diet (www.hacres.com) which was developed by a man who cured his colon cancer at 42. My hubby was just diagnosed with diabetes and we are looking at diet changes for him now. It just all makes sense to me that what you eat (or don't eat) has an enormous consequence on your health.
    Sorry to hijack the thread here.
    Hang on there spongeBob!!!

peace, emily
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    2bhealed said:

I have used Essiac in my protocol. It is one of the herbal rememdies that comes up quite frequently in the alternative cures world that has been successful. I highly recommend it.
    I am currently studying the Hallelujah Diet (www.hacres.com) which was developed by a man who cured his colon cancer at 42. My hubby was just diagnosed with diabetes and we are looking at diet changes for him now. It just all makes sense to me that what you eat (or don't eat) has an enormous consequence on your health.
    Sorry to hijack the thread here.
    Hang on there spongeBob!!!

peace, emily

Emily,Thanks for posting Hallelujah Diet very interesting.Always anything you post I always read.
    Lisa
  • indydaughter
    spongebob said:

- SB ; )

Hi SpongeBob or Emily,

What is Essiac tea? where do you purchase it from? The uses? Side Effects?
    Just curious?

Stay dry SpongeBob and I'll take a rasp. margarita.

Thanks,
    indydaughter
  • 2bhealed

Hi SpongeBob or Emily,

Just curious?

Thanks,
    indydaughter

Essiac tea was developed by a Canadian woman based on old Native herbalists. Her name was Caisse so she just spelled it backwards. It is a mixture of herbs that have been documented to beat cancer. I bought mine from my Traditional Chinese Medicine practioner but I know you can find it on the web. You want to make sure you get the original formula and not a knock off. I think her name was Rene Caisse but do a word search. It comes in a bottle, powdered, and you make the tea and drink it over the course of a few days. It keeps in the frig. I do not know of any side effects or if it is ever contraindicated. There is a whole big book that you can get at health food stores that has tons of testimonials that focus on cancer. It is a common protocol in alternative healing of cancer. Hope this helps.

peace, emily
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member

Hi SpongeBob or Emily,

Just curious?

Thanks,
    indydaughter

indy -

A quick Google search will yeild about 20+ sites that sell Essiac tea. emily is right - be sure not to get a knock-off. You may want to consult an herbalist to be sure you are getting the real McCoy.

Rene Cassie was a nurse in Canada who combined 4 herbs (originally 8, but she pared it down to 4) based on shamen lore to create a tea that had remarkable effects in fighting cancer. She was so successful that she opened a house where she treated patients by serving them the tea. The Canadian government had some issues with that so they shut her down for practicing medicine without a license. It's really a fascinating story...

Anyway, as emily says, testimonials abound as to the thereputic results of drinking Essiac. The FDA will tell you that there's no scientific evidence that Essiac works, but, hey, why not? It's obviously worked for a lot of folks. And the best news is, that when combined with cream, vodka, and Kaluah, it's really tasty! It's called a white Canadian.

Stayed dry!

- SB
  • 2bhealed
    spongebob said:

indy -

A quick Google search will yeild about 20+ sites that sell Essiac tea. emily is right - be sure not to get a knock-off. You may want to consult an herbalist to be sure you are getting the real McCoy.

Rene Cassie was a nurse in Canada who combined 4 herbs (originally 8, but she pared it down to 4) based on shamen lore to create a tea that had remarkable effects in fighting cancer. She was so successful that she opened a house where she treated patients by serving them the tea. The Canadian government had some issues with that so they shut her down for practicing medicine without a license. It's really a fascinating story...

Anyway, as emily says, testimonials abound as to the thereputic results of drinking Essiac. The FDA will tell you that there's no scientific evidence that Essiac works, but, hey, why not? It's obviously worked for a lot of folks. And the best news is, that when combined with cream, vodka, and Kaluah, it's really tasty! It's called a white Canadian.

Stayed dry!

- SB

oh SB you hoser take off eh? :-)

you're so naughty.

peace, em
  • indydaughter
    2bhealed said:

Essiac tea was developed by a Canadian woman based on old Native herbalists. Her name was Caisse so she just spelled it backwards. It is a mixture of herbs that have been documented to beat cancer. I bought mine from my Traditional Chinese Medicine practioner but I know you can find it on the web. You want to make sure you get the original formula and not a knock off. I think her name was Rene Caisse but do a word search. It comes in a bottle, powdered, and you make the tea and drink it over the course of a few days. It keeps in the frig. I do not know of any side effects or if it is ever contraindicated. There is a whole big book that you can get at health food stores that has tons of testimonials that focus on cancer. It is a common protocol in alternative healing of cancer. Hope this helps.

peace, emily

Emily and SpongeBob,

Thanks for the info on the tea. I will pass it on. My mom just got chosen today,out of a lottery, for an experimental antibody drug...we'll see where this leads to......... Your help continues to be grand!!

Thanks,
    indydaughter
  • jjho
    jjho Member Posts: 3
    my mom too has been on oxilplatian, 5fu and lukeavoren. how is your mom? my mom has cancer in the colon that went to her lungs, liver and breast. right now they told her chemo is not working for her. what is the next step? I would love to chat with you.
  • indydaughter
    jjho said:

my mom too has been on oxilplatian, 5fu and lukeavoren. how is your mom? my mom has cancer in the colon that went to her lungs, liver and breast. right now they told her chemo is not working for her. what is the next step? I would love to chat with you.

My mom was on the same treatment as your mom, then she did just cpt 11 and then just Xeloda. Nothing is working now. She has been selected for a trial of the Erbitux drug, but she is sooooo sick now that that is on hold. Her onc. is a jerk, so I am not sure what the next treatment will be if the trial falls through. What are they thinking for your mom?
    Hope to hear from you.