Colon surgery aftermath

Tatie
Tatie Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had a kidney stone removed few weeks ago, and the doctor advised me that if you have a part of your colon removed, you are prone to form kidney stones because of incomplete abosrbtion due to not having a full colon. To help aviod kidney stone formation, he told me not to eat:

Peanuts, cashews or almonds
Chocolate
Carbonated drinks
Beats and spinach

Thought I would let everyone know, so they don't have to go through it. Did you have to deal with any aftermath of colon surgery?

Comments

• Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    Hi Tatie,

That is great infomation about kidney stones.On my mother's side of the family they all have kidney stones.I figure that's the next great thing I will inherit.
  • Tatie
    Lisa Rose said:

Hi Tatie,

That is great infomation about kidney stones.On my mother's side of the family they all have kidney stones.I figure that's the next great thing I will inherit.

Don't program yourself into it though. Think "I don't have to inherit all the deseases in my family".
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    WOW! Sounds like the docs are gonna get us on that diet after all! So, the way I read it, we can't eat bar food, drink Coke or eat chocolate... At least they had the decency to add yucky stuff like spinach and beets!

I didn't get that lecture and I haven't had any problems, but we're all different! I DEFINITELY have an incomplete colon, hopefully I won't start getting stones now that my colon has been informed. Hope you're feeling better post-op, Tatie. Good advice to Lisa Rose, too.

- Sponge Bob
  • Tatie
    Thanks, SpongeBob! You are so funny! I need to get lighten up a little. How are you doing after the surgery? I am waiting for test results to come back, had MRI Friday, my CEA went up to 5.8, it's quite a scare, so the doctor prescrived bunch of tests, hopefully it was the kidney and not recurrence.
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    How depressing Tatie! You listed nearly my daily diet...except for the beets & spinach! Makes me wanna crack open a beer...oh wait, not supposed to do that either...man, if the cancer doesn't kill you the restrictions on the diet will just make you FEEL that way! (smile!)

Take Care,
    Stacy
  • Tatie
    I miss the spinach and the beats the most. Two of my favorite vegies. :(
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Tatie said:

I miss the spinach and the beats the most. Two of my favorite vegies. :(

Hi ,just got out of hospital today ,not kidney stones yet had an acute pancreatitis attack so they ripped out my gall bladder,with uric acid in the red I guess kidney stones are next, ah well i might have to start taking a doggy bag so that when I finally go they will still have all the bits:), Cheers Ron
  • Tatie
    Ron, what happened, you've always been so optimistic, you were my inspiration last year, I read your every post on the ACS board. Or are you just kidding? What's that talk about finnaly have to go? Where are you going? To one of the beaches in Australia, I bet! :D Didn't you have a renal failure during your adjuvant treatment?
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    ron50 said:

Hi ,just got out of hospital today ,not kidney stones yet had an acute pancreatitis attack so they ripped out my gall bladder,with uric acid in the red I guess kidney stones are next, ah well i might have to start taking a doggy bag so that when I finally go they will still have all the bits:), Cheers Ron

Glad to hear you're out of the hospital, Ron! Before long, there will be nothing left for them to take out of you, so that alone HAS to be encouraging!

Take care,

Stacy
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Tatie said:

Ron, what happened, you've always been so optimistic, you were my inspiration last year, I read your every post on the ACS board. Or are you just kidding? What's that talk about finnaly have to go? Where are you going? To one of the beaches in Australia, I bet! :D Didn't you have a renal failure during your adjuvant treatment?

Hi Tatie ,the when i finally go refers to "at the hands of a jealous wife at age 95" not anytime in the forseeable futureI am and will remain virtually indestreuctible until that time though as we note from time to time some larrakin doctor may decide to take a souvenier or two. I am still well clear of ca when they were removing the gall they had a good look around and found everything nice and clear and I run a Cea of 0.7. I've also lost 32 kilos and now walk around 35 mi a week,so no fear I remain as positive as ever u just missinterprate my warped aussie humour , stay well love Ron.
  • Tatie
    That's the spirit!! :)))) Still in the business? I have an italian sawing machine I love, but it needs attention, wish you were in US. :(