Entering 'the waiting game'

taraHK
taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi. I am a newcomer to this group. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer last December (2002). I had chemoradiation, then surgery, then chemo. I am just about to finish my last cycle of chemo. I have, of course, been through some up and downs during the past 7 months. But, overall, I have been feeling very positive and strong throughout this all. But now I feel I am entering a new phase - "the waiting game". My cancer was staged as T3 N1M0 (Duke's C or Stage III). So, the risk of recurrence is certainly there. I would love to hear from others about how you have coped or are coping with this phase. I don't want to have a 'sword' or 'black cloud' hanging over me for the next 2 or 5 or 6 years. I want to think of myself as a survivor. But, I'm finding it tough right now.

Comments

• StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hi Tara!

Congratulations on having made it this far! You really need to understand that you have come a long way, and the hardest part is close to being behind you (no pun intended!).

My story will certainly give you hope...I was stage 4...mine spread to my liver, so 40% was removed. That was January 2002...a year and one half ago...today, I'm fine. If it weren't for the wonderful souvenir scar, nobody would have any idea what I have gone through. You are a fighter, and truly are a survivor. You should visit the chat section on this site, and you will meet a lot of people who can give you their insight as they have been cancer free for many years.

Of course, there is always that "what if it comes back" lingering...but the hard part is over, and in the event it should come back, you already know what to expect. Look at it this way...there are no guarantees that it won't come back, but on the positive side...there are no guarantees that it will come back. Education is powerful...use it to help you through the rough uncertain times.

Don't live your life with the "what-ifs" hanging overhead...just live every day to its fullest, as there are no guarantees for anybody.

Hope I helped, and again CONGRATS!
    Stacy
  • vcavanagh
    vcavanagh Member Posts: 79
    Hello TaraHK,
    The greatest thing is to realise that a) you or I will not die tomorrow, b) that either of us could still get hit by a bus or something else awful, in six months time c) you are still going to get Income Tax demands.
    As a lady friend of mine said - " If it wasn't for the stress, I'd have no energy at all."
    Keep your chin up.
    V.C.
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    vcavanagh said:

Hello TaraHK,
    The greatest thing is to realise that a) you or I will not die tomorrow, b) that either of us could still get hit by a bus or something else awful, in six months time c) you are still going to get Income Tax demands.
    As a lady friend of mine said - " If it wasn't for the stress, I'd have no energy at all."
    Keep your chin up.
    V.C.

Hi Tara ,

First of all I want to say you are a survivor and everyday will become easier for you I know this because I been there to.

My name is Lisa and I to had a stage 3 Rectal cancer with 10 positive nodes in March 2002,so that is almost 17 month,s ago . I know the risk of recurrence is high but I try and convince myself that I am not going to be in that group that does recur and you have to believe this .

So we could sit around for 5 years waiting and worrying , so what would that prove . Get out and start living now and your body and mind will thank you in 5 years for not letting 5 years slip through your fingers, and this will all be behind you then.

Cheers Lisa
  • cmtwendel
    cmtwendel Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I was 29 when I was diagnosed with T2 N1 colon cancer. There was a chance for mine to come back also. I have been cancer free since January of 2000. It's been 3 yrs. for me. Just keep your chin up. Live your life to the fullest. My 8 yr. old son has helped me realize what I have to be thankful for.
    Good Luck to you and your family.
    Tina