Celebrex/celecoxib

vcavanagh
vcavanagh Member Posts: 79
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I think that many of us will be interested in some new info. This relates to Celebrex, an anti-rheumatic/anti-inflammatory/painkilling drug which is already being used by very many people for arthritis etc. It is known to help prevent the development of Polyps in those with a family history of polyposis. It is now being used with various chemotherapy drugs and trials are ongoing to see how much it might help. The theory seems to be that it interferes with the development of blood supply to the growing tumor.Please see the article on colon cancer at
http://healthology.com/nl/redir_nl.asp?id=12080
The interesting thing is towards the end of the article where it says that good results are being obtained by combining celecoxib with radiation (or radioablation). This should be encouraging to those of us with stage 3 and 4. (C and D) I tracked this down a while ago but it is just now that the information is being published and I think there are more trial results pending. It will take a while. Please do understand that we are not talking "cure" here but the development is very interesting and might be of value to at least some of us. Or maybe I should be more optimistic and say that things might turn out well and surprise us all. I'll be interested to hear what your opinions are. Sorry about the long web address but I'm fairly new to all this and I do not know how to shorten it. (Follow the signs to Treatment of Colon Cancer.)Blessings to us all.
Vincent.

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Ahoy, Vincent -

I currently take Celebrex. My doctor perscribed it about at year ago for mild arthritis and he told me the same thing; that it has shown promise as a therapy for those of us with hereditary colon cancer. It does a good job on my hands - let's hope it's doing a good job elsewhere - I just had an annual scope and no polyps - 2 years and counting!

Be well

Sponge Bob
  • nbalantac
    nbalantac Member Posts: 29
    spongebob said:

Ahoy, Vincent -

I currently take Celebrex. My doctor perscribed it about at year ago for mild arthritis and he told me the same thing; that it has shown promise as a therapy for those of us with hereditary colon cancer. It does a good job on my hands - let's hope it's doing a good job elsewhere - I just had an annual scope and no polyps - 2 years and counting!

Be well

Sponge Bob

yohA, Sponge Bob -
    Am also under the mercy of Celebrex for minor hands pain (both thumbs) and it is working mighty good. My doctor said the same thing that it might help reduced polyp development. Glad to hear and experience the same positive results elsewhere. Indeed let's hope it'll do good elsewhere. Just had my scope and CAT scan (about 1 year after surgery)- NO POLYPS and ALL organs are NORMAL, almost 2 years since diagnosis!.

Thanks for sharing,
    Noel
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    nbalantac said:

yohA, Sponge Bob -
    Am also under the mercy of Celebrex for minor hands pain (both thumbs) and it is working mighty good. My doctor said the same thing that it might help reduced polyp development. Glad to hear and experience the same positive results elsewhere. Indeed let's hope it'll do good elsewhere. Just had my scope and CAT scan (about 1 year after surgery)- NO POLYPS and ALL organs are NORMAL, almost 2 years since diagnosis!.

Thanks for sharing,
    Noel

Ahoy, Noel -

CONGRATS! As we nautical types say when the ship is on the right course; "Keep her so!"

I just had my 2 year scope last week. No polyps although there is an abraded/ulcerated area near where they sewed the two ends back together. It's been there for about a year+. Don't really understand it. They took a biopsy. We'll find out soon enough. But feeling good now and hitting the gym for 90 minutes daily - so I can't be doing too badly!!

Stay well

- SpongeBob
  • iloveron
    iloveron Member Posts: 11
    spongebob said:

Ahoy, Vincent -

Be well

Sponge Bob

Hi SpongeBob, I have seen and enjoyed your message replies. My husband has colorectal cancer with mets to the lungs. I have scoured the web for something hopeful and thought you'd appreciate some of the info our oncologist doesn't snub. First, he said 800 mg of tagamet won't hurt Ron a bit. I read that it initially was the only anti-nausea medicine for chemo patients, and when some were getting better with it alone, as they were too sick to take the chemo, scientist started studying it as a anti-cancer med and found it can block the histamines that help cells metastasize. Ron hasn't suffered with nausea and the doc said it might help with his allergies too. Also, the Doc said if we want to use the Celebrex (COX-2 inhibitor) off label as it's being used in the clinical studies, we should take 400 mg twice a day. That there will be no worst side affects on 800 mg a day as there is with the recommended doseage of 200 mg a day. Also I read that a surprise bonus to this study is that the side affects of chemo and radiation have been lessened. In addition to the tagamet and the celebrex, I give him an immune booster called MGN-3. However, I'm going to try a newer one I just discovered called AHCC. It has been used and studied in Japan for awhile and seems to have more data to justify it. Also it is about half the cost. As we don't have prescription coverage, I order these medicines on line through a Canadian Pharmacy for half the cost. Ron would rather die than restict his diet. I do try to feed him more "live" foods,@ fruits, green teas, Veggies, berries, nuts and fish. And the only other supplement I give him is Zinc, as his high blood pressure medicine can delete the bodies supply, and I've read that some cancer patients have high levels of copper in there blood and studies are being done to deplete the copper levels in hopes of stopping the supply to cancer cells that thrive on copper. Zinc can level out copper as well as boost our immunes. I also pop him a selenium once in awhile and feed him brazil nuts. That's about all I've found that seems legitimate so far. Especially while he is on chemo. I'm still looking for more on graviola, bindweed and curcumin. We don't get much out of the Doctors, as they don't know much other than what's being reported in their journels. And that's not much, or so it seems, more of the same old thing. Our hope is, if we can't cure this ****, at least we can contain it. My best wishes to you and as our 3 year old Grandson says, Kick Cancer Butt! Sincerely, iloveron
  • vcavanagh
    vcavanagh Member Posts: 79
    iloveron said:

Hi SpongeBob, I have seen and enjoyed your message replies. My husband has colorectal cancer with mets to the lungs. I have scoured the web for something hopeful and thought you'd appreciate some of the info our oncologist doesn't snub. First, he said 800 mg of tagamet won't hurt Ron a bit. I read that it initially was the only anti-nausea medicine for chemo patients, and when some were getting better with it alone, as they were too sick to take the chemo, scientist started studying it as a anti-cancer med and found it can block the histamines that help cells metastasize. Ron hasn't suffered with nausea and the doc said it might help with his allergies too. Also, the Doc said if we want to use the Celebrex (COX-2 inhibitor) off label as it's being used in the clinical studies, we should take 400 mg twice a day. That there will be no worst side affects on 800 mg a day as there is with the recommended doseage of 200 mg a day. Also I read that a surprise bonus to this study is that the side affects of chemo and radiation have been lessened. In addition to the tagamet and the celebrex, I give him an immune booster called MGN-3. However, I'm going to try a newer one I just discovered called AHCC. It has been used and studied in Japan for awhile and seems to have more data to justify it. Also it is about half the cost. As we don't have prescription coverage, I order these medicines on line through a Canadian Pharmacy for half the cost. Ron would rather die than restict his diet. I do try to feed him more "live" foods,@ fruits, green teas, Veggies, berries, nuts and fish. And the only other supplement I give him is Zinc, as his high blood pressure medicine can delete the bodies supply, and I've read that some cancer patients have high levels of copper in there blood and studies are being done to deplete the copper levels in hopes of stopping the supply to cancer cells that thrive on copper. Zinc can level out copper as well as boost our immunes. I also pop him a selenium once in awhile and feed him brazil nuts. That's about all I've found that seems legitimate so far. Especially while he is on chemo. I'm still looking for more on graviola, bindweed and curcumin. We don't get much out of the Doctors, as they don't know much other than what's being reported in their journels. And that's not much, or so it seems, more of the same old thing. Our hope is, if we can't cure this ****, at least we can contain it. My best wishes to you and as our 3 year old Grandson says, Kick Cancer Butt! Sincerely, iloveron

Ilovron,
    have a look at the website I mentioned in my message above (top of this page). It refers to a man who's liver metastases shrank from 14 centimetres down to 1 centimetre and were removed six months later when he continued to do surprisingly well. He was still doing well when last reported. I was very interested as he had radiation/radioablation with the celebrex. (The celebrex was being used to try and prevent side-effects, especially the hands and feet problems.) Read about it yourself. I'll be glad to hear what you think about "Lee" and also the elderlylady mentioned.
    Regards,
    V.C.
  • iloveron
    iloveron Member Posts: 11
    vcavanagh said:

Ilovron,
    have a look at the website I mentioned in my message above (top of this page). It refers to a man who's liver metastases shrank from 14 centimetres down to 1 centimetre and were removed six months later when he continued to do surprisingly well. He was still doing well when last reported. I was very interested as he had radiation/radioablation with the celebrex. (The celebrex was being used to try and prevent side-effects, especially the hands and feet problems.) Read about it yourself. I'll be glad to hear what you think about "Lee" and also the elderlylady mentioned.
    Regards,
    V.C.

Hi Vincent, I haven't been on this site for weeks and was surprise to have a message. I've spent so many hours on the web reading everything possible about cancer treaments but your site was new to me. My husband was diagnosed about 2 years ago with an easy to treat, slow growing colon cancer. He had 6 wks of radiation along with chemo which shrunk the tumor alot and the surgeon was able to easily remove it, get all the cancer and reconnect his colon. He had no signs of cancer anywhere else, but the oncologist recommended follow up chemo with 5fu to be safe. We thought we had it made. But, and that's a Big But, here we are with mets to the lungs, they don't even look for it elsewhere, as it's of little importance now. I have to wonder if our current cancer treatments might just go down in history with blood letting. We are at a point where chemo is doing us more harm than good, so are giving it up, now maybe he can heal. However, if he gets the chance to try Avastin or Martha Stewart's Imclone drug, which are both holding for FDA oks, we will jump on one of those. In the mean time, we will eat and juice raw fruits and veggies, continue taking an immune booster, MGN3 or AHCC, along with lots of fish and flax oils and other snake oil supplements, Green Foods and everything else that claims anti-cancer qualities. But our oncologist said, for what he knows, 400 mg of celebrex, twice a day, was probably our best idea. Sorry to be rambling on here. To get to my point, He has stable disease and is doing ok except for some mild chemo related problems. How are you? Great is my hope and prayer. Thank You for sharing info. May God Bless Us each and everyone. Iloveron