linitis plastica carcinoma

prynetyme
prynetyme Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Stomach Cancer #1
my wife has stage 3b stomach cancer.it's linitis plastica carcinoma. can a survivor please show there self. cause i can't find one

Comments

• ccolomb
    ccolomb Member Posts: 2
    my mother was recently diagnosed w/same cancer (linitis plastica gastric cancer). she is also at stage 3b. I have not been able to find any stories of a survivor either, but believe that the current treatments can work (either for a while until better treatments are discovered or as a possible "cure"). I have done plenty of research on the subject and would be more than happy to discuss with you her treatment, etc...she is responding well to it and we are hopeful. please let me know if you would like to further discuss these issues. As you probably already know, linitis plastica is rare, so finding other patients is probably even more critical with this type of cancer, because information is scarce. I hope your wife is ok...I know what you are going through.
  • Shelly1981
    Shelly1981 Member Posts: 1
    ccolomb said:

my mother was recently diagnosed w/same cancer (linitis plastica gastric cancer). she is also at stage 3b. I have not been able to find any stories of a survivor either, but believe that the current treatments can work (either for a while until better treatments are discovered or as a possible "cure"). I have done plenty of research on the subject and would be more than happy to discuss with you her treatment, etc...she is responding well to it and we are hopeful. please let me know if you would like to further discuss these issues. As you probably already know, linitis plastica is rare, so finding other patients is probably even more critical with this type of cancer, because information is scarce. I hope your wife is ok...I know what you are going through.

I have the same problem, my mom at age 40 was just diagnosed with linitis plastica and went straight to surgery to have it removed two weeks later. After opening her, they closed her right back up and said there was nothing they could do.
    They gave her 6 months to live. Two weeks later she started chemo to try and slow this down. This was just two days ago. Every cancer institute we have talked to say stuff like oohh ya we can cure her or at least pro long her life by years....on into the conversation we tell them we don't have insurance and they find a way to turn us down..If you have insurance, I hear M D Anderson cancer center in Houston Texas is a wonderful place...Her oncologist told us two days ago that researchers stoped researching this type of cancer 20 yrs ago...If anyone has found out more please let me know...Shellyandkids123@aol.com
  • ZELLARS
    ZELLARS Member Posts: 34

I have the same problem, my mom at age 40 was just diagnosed with linitis plastica and went straight to surgery to have it removed two weeks later. After opening her, they closed her right back up and said there was nothing they could do.
    They gave her 6 months to live. Two weeks later she started chemo to try and slow this down. This was just two days ago. Every cancer institute we have talked to say stuff like oohh ya we can cure her or at least pro long her life by years....on into the conversation we tell them we don't have insurance and they find a way to turn us down..If you have insurance, I hear M D Anderson cancer center in Houston Texas is a wonderful place...Her oncologist told us two days ago that researchers stoped researching this type of cancer 20 yrs ago...If anyone has found out more please let me know...Shellyandkids123@aol.com

RESEARCHERS STOPPED 20 YRS. AGO?? THAT HAS TO BE COMPLETELY FALSE AND I WOULD ASK AGAIN TO MAKE SURE YOU HEARD THAT CORRECTLY.
  • sandy60
    sandy60 Member Posts: 2
    My husband had been diagnosed with Stage IV at the end of January and has since passed away. I would be curious to find out if there are any survivors of this particular cancer. Our doc told us that he has never seen this cancer - besides Medical School. Do you know if this is hereditary?
  • jmorris
    jmorris Member Posts: 2
    ccolomb said:

My dad was just diagnosed the other day with linitis plastica in addition to his stomach cancer, which IS rare. They say he will live anywhere from 3 months to 12 months depending on if he has chemo, but he is still healing from the surgery where they were supposed to remove his stomach, but could not due to the Dr. finding the linitis. He was open for 5 hours which in cancer patients is not good because air makes the cancer spread faster. I am hoping he will heal in time to start the chemo, which will buy him some more time with us. Please pray for him.
  • Camiel
    Camiel Member Posts: 1
    Hallo, +/- 2 months ago, my wife (age 49) was diagnosed with Linitis Plastica. This happened during surgery. The surgeon looked to remove the complete stomach, but then decided it was useless. Cancer was spread to the liver and allover the lower part in the body. He removed the tumor as far as possible. 1 month later she was treated with a first chemo session. 6 such sessions are planned, at 4 weeks intervals. We just completed the second session. For the moment, she is feeling very well, drives a car, goes to a restaurant, goes shopping.... Briefly: enjoyes every minute of her live.
    We do no know what is ahead, but live by the day, trying to make the best of it..
  • ncmoore
    ncmoore Member Posts: 1
    ccolomb said:

My Grandmother at the age of 74 has been diagnosed with linitis plastica. We are meeting with docotors to discuss chemotheropy - they feel that they will be unable to operate? Which type of treatment did your mother have? My family would really like to talk to you about your experiences - can you please get in touch with me? My contact numbers are 028 8224 2765 or 0780 3300776 or noelcmoore@yahoo.com We, as a family would appreaciate the opportunity to discuss our and your situations. We live in Northern Ireland. I look forward to hearing from you. You are in our prayers. Kind regards.
  • Ethlinn
    Ethlinn Member Posts: 3
    Camiel said:

Hallo, +/- 2 months ago, my wife (age 49) was diagnosed with Linitis Plastica. This happened during surgery. The surgeon looked to remove the complete stomach, but then decided it was useless. Cancer was spread to the liver and allover the lower part in the body. He removed the tumor as far as possible. 1 month later she was treated with a first chemo session. 6 such sessions are planned, at 4 weeks intervals. We just completed the second session. For the moment, she is feeling very well, drives a car, goes to a restaurant, goes shopping.... Briefly: enjoyes every minute of her live.
    We do no know what is ahead, but live by the day, trying to make the best of it..

I feel for all of you who know someone with linitis plastica......my father was diagnosed at the end of May with the last stage of the cancer and unfortunately his time is coming to a close. There is so much about the cancer that doctors just do not know that I believe we can all help each other a bit. If anyone has any questions that I could possibly help them with, since there is virtually no information out there, please post on the board and I'll try to relate anything I have learned in these past three months.
  • Kazu
    Kazu Member Posts: 1
    Ethlinn said:

I feel for all of you who know someone with linitis plastica......my father was diagnosed at the end of May with the last stage of the cancer and unfortunately his time is coming to a close. There is so much about the cancer that doctors just do not know that I believe we can all help each other a bit. If anyone has any questions that I could possibly help them with, since there is virtually no information out there, please post on the board and I'll try to relate anything I have learned in these past three months.

My father in law was just diagnosed with linitus plastica in his stomach(stage 3b) during surgery to remove his stomach,gall bladder, lots of liver, spleen and midriff diaphragm. He had this surgery on nov. 11th. He's recovering well from the surgery. Now my wife and I are in search of his treatment options. You know about the lack of info online. Please help. Any information right now would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • 4fam
    4fam Member Posts: 1
    Ethlinn said:

my grandfather was just diagnosed with linitis plastica of the stomach and has spread to the pancreas. He has been given a few options for treatment. I wanted to know any treatments that anybody has found effective thus far. I would really appreciate any information. thank you so much.
  • Ethlinn
    Ethlinn Member Posts: 3
    Kazu said:

My father in law was just diagnosed with linitus plastica in his stomach(stage 3b) during surgery to remove his stomach,gall bladder, lots of liver, spleen and midriff diaphragm. He had this surgery on nov. 11th. He's recovering well from the surgery. Now my wife and I are in search of his treatment options. You know about the lack of info online. Please help. Any information right now would be appreciated. Thank you.

I found in my research of the disease that the Japanese are considered to be the most knowledgable about the disease and have some of the best results when treating patients because they use a very agressive treatment. Watching what happened to my father I know that the operation your father-in-law has had should help him fight it especially if he's having chemo/radiation. Anyway, I just wanted to give you the suggestion of researching articles on Japanese treatment. It may help.