Stage 1 survivor with question

BlessedbyGod
BlessedbyGod Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am new here so please bear with me. I had surgery on March 7th, 2003 to remove a Stage 1 tumor that was so low in the colon that it required the surgeon to remove my "rectal reservoir" as he called it. I needed no further treatment of any kind, Praise God but I am going through the problem so many of you have with "bathroom time". This all came about ofcourse after my reversal on June 7th, 2003. None of my colon was removed and neither was any muscle tissue. Can someone with a very similar situation tell me approximately how long it will be before my bowel activity will get back close to normal. I am 2 and a half weeks post reversal. My doctor says I should start seeing an improvement soon. I hope so because this "going" 12 to 20 times on a "bad day" is hard to adjust to. I do have good days and go only 2-3 times. I am otherwise in great physical condition and overall good health. And I thank God for that. Please excuse the long message. Thank you.

Comments

• StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Congrats on your progress so far! Keep up the good work!

Although everyone is different, what you eat plays a major role in things travelling the "new road." Have you adjusted your diet to assist in regulating things? I went through what you did, with a side order of chemo and radiation just to put the icing on the proverbial cake. By the time I left the hospital after the reversal surgery, everything was already functioning normally. So I haven't had to deal with your exact situation, but believe it or not, I do understand...

So first, I would experiment with foods, to see if things can be regulated that way. Then, you could try an over-the-counter drug, with of course the consent of your doctor. Run both those ideas past your physician, as well as any other advice you may receive. Nodoby understands your medical history better than the physicians who have treated you so far.

Hope my little bit of advice helps! Best of luck and good health to you!

Stacy
  • fandaj
    fandaj Member Posts: 81
    We are all "Blessed By God", because we are here to respond to one another. I had surgery for stage 2 colon cancer in March. 20 inches of colon was removed. I am undergoing chemotherapy now, so I still don't know what normal is yet. Chemo side effects include diareaha. My worst day was 8 times of diareaha caused by a prescription iron pill. Once I quit that the problem subsided. Most times my routine is normal in the morning, then sometimes, in the afternoon some emergency trips to the bathroom. Other times just once a day. Everyone is different (how many times have you heard that). Have you tried Imodium? Good luck, fandaj
  • starlight1968
    starlight1968 Member Posts: 5
    I was diagnosed with differentiated colonic adenocarcinoma 3.5cm T3stage2 in October 2002.I had surgery which removed 2 feet of colon and didnt need any chemo or radiation.Praise God.i still have some trouble with having to go to the bathroom.It will get better but you will also have your bad days.I am praying for you and if you want to talk my email is sandyj68@yahoo.com and my name is sandy.God Bless all of us.
  • Wolfe
    Wolfe Member Posts: 1
    fandaj said:

We are all "Blessed By God", because we are here to respond to one another. I had surgery for stage 2 colon cancer in March. 20 inches of colon was removed. I am undergoing chemotherapy now, so I still don't know what normal is yet. Chemo side effects include diareaha. My worst day was 8 times of diareaha caused by a prescription iron pill. Once I quit that the problem subsided. Most times my routine is normal in the morning, then sometimes, in the afternoon some emergency trips to the bathroom. Other times just once a day. Everyone is different (how many times have you heard that). Have you tried Imodium? Good luck, fandaj

My mom has Stage IV Colon Cancer and has the same problem. One day is great, the other is awful. She does take imodium for some help. It does work sometimes. Good Luck and Godspeed!

Margie