New Diagnosis

GrammyBear
GrammyBear Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My husband had a biopsy on Friday, 5/30/03 and we got the results yesterday,6/5/03. He has Non small cell cancer of the lungs which has metastisized to the lymph nodes. They did a brain scan yesterday to see if it had migrated to the brain. I did not ask about stage. I am pretty uninformed about cancer. The oncologist is calling today to set up a PET scan, and will then make his recommendations. Any basic information would be helpful. My husband is 44 years old, and today is our 23rd anniversary. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• MargoLubbers
    MargoLubbers Member Posts: 14
    Well, first things first... Happy Anniversary! Your oncologist will know (for sure) the stage after the PET scan. He should also tell you what his plan of action is. Right now you and your husband are in shock. Don't worry, its just part of this deal and the shock will pass. Stay in touch here or you can e-mail me at moldy61@sbcglobal.net. I don't know much but I do have stage 4 non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
  • janetk
    janetk Member Posts: 4
    I am sorry about your husband's diagnosis. I am
    stage IV NSCLC, and have been "stable" since last
    August when I was diagnosed. This is a frightening time for you both, but believe me it will get better.
    Our 21 year anniversary was yesterday June 5th and I'm 45 years old. Please e-mail for support or questions, I'll try to help you as much as I can.
    Janet
  • MargoLubbers
    MargoLubbers Member Posts: 14
    janetk said:

I am sorry about your husband's diagnosis. I am
    stage IV NSCLC, and have been "stable" since last
    August when I was diagnosed. This is a frightening time for you both, but believe me it will get better.
    Our 21 year anniversary was yesterday June 5th and I'm 45 years old. Please e-mail for support or questions, I'll try to help you as much as I can.
    Janet

Janet, I am so happy to hear that you are stable. What a great deal!!! What are you doing to get/stay stable? Where did you go? Who treated you? Please share this valuable information!!!! Thanks! Margo Lubbers moldy61@sbcglobal.net 580-353-5132
  • bobmc
    bobmc Member Posts: 47
    Hello Grammybear; my very best to you and your husband; and happy anniversary;
    I know the anguish and fear of this can be overwelming at times, I've been there; but please know that people can and do survive lung cancer. I was dx.'ed in April of 2001 with NSCLC-stage IIB. One of my lymph nodes on the same side as the lung was affected. On May 2nd, 2001 my left lung along with 18 nodes were removed, I was 50 years old at the time. 8 weeks after the operation, I was on vacation, hiking through the rainforests of Costa Rica; it was not easy but it was doable. It's now been over two years since my operation and I'm doing fine today. Not the same because after being dx.'ed with cancer much does change buts it's OK today. In Sept. me and my wife will celebrate 30 years of marriage and we plan on spending many more together.
    Know that you are not alone!
    God bless and be well
    Bobmc - NSCLC-stage IIB - left pneumonectomy 5/2/01 " absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"
    I can be reached here under Bobmc, or E-mail rmccu37700@AOL.COM or at lungcancersurvivors.org.
  • GrammyBear
    GrammyBear Member Posts: 2
    bobmc said:

Hello Grammybear; my very best to you and your husband; and happy anniversary;
    I know the anguish and fear of this can be overwelming at times, I've been there; but please know that people can and do survive lung cancer. I was dx.'ed in April of 2001 with NSCLC-stage IIB. One of my lymph nodes on the same side as the lung was affected. On May 2nd, 2001 my left lung along with 18 nodes were removed, I was 50 years old at the time. 8 weeks after the operation, I was on vacation, hiking through the rainforests of Costa Rica; it was not easy but it was doable. It's now been over two years since my operation and I'm doing fine today. Not the same because after being dx.'ed with cancer much does change buts it's OK today. In Sept. me and my wife will celebrate 30 years of marriage and we plan on spending many more together.
    Know that you are not alone!
    God bless and be well
    Bobmc - NSCLC-stage IIB - left pneumonectomy 5/2/01 " absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"
    I can be reached here under Bobmc, or E-mail rmccu37700@AOL.COM or at lungcancersurvivors.org.

Thank you all so much for your information and support. Yes we are still in shock. But the more I have read here, the more I see that this can be beaten. Thank you all so much...
  • schuyler
    schuyler Member Posts: 32
    Sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. However, we lung cancer patients have a lot to be thankful for. I was initially diagnosed with nsc lung cancer in July 2000. I had some positive lymph nodes also. I had surgery and did a preventative course of radiation. ( I regret having this done as it has left me with long term side effects.) The PET scan became available in my area two months after my surgery. Since then I have had recurrences in my lungs and they have been found in very early stages due to the diagnostic PETS and CAT scans. I had another surgery in summer 2001 and a course of chemotherapy. I had another recurrence on both lungs diagnosed in Jan. 2003. New treatments are coming out almost monthly. I just recently had IMRT, a targeted radiation that spares lung tissue that is not malignant. This is a new treatment made possible because of PET and CT scans and computers. These things were not available until a few years ago and I don't think I would be writing to you today if it were not for the new technologies. Take the time to educate yourself on the net. A good place to start is this website, American Lung Assoc. You will find links to other sights. I have been researching for three years now. Keep current. His life depends on it. Doctors listen to you more when you can use the proper terms. Get second opinions about major treatments. I always have my husband or a friend along on visits to the oncologist so I don't forget questions or answers. I started keeping a looseleaf binder of copies of records of all my scans and procedures. I did this to keep up with the insurance claims initially, then I realized how much better I understood what was happening. I take this binder with me for all new procedures. it's a valuable history. I have changed oncologists twice because I felt one was too busy for me and another one didn't know much about new treatments. So my advice would be to stay current about this disease and make use of all the info and technology available to us now. Best of luck to you both.