Help! I need health insurance.

Options
mgillies
mgillies Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Skin Cancer #1
I had malignant melanoma removed 1 1/2 years ago. Currently, I do not have health insurance and do not have a group policy at my job. I've talked to a couple of insurance agents and basically have been told no insurance company will pick me up because it was melanoma. Anybody know of a company that will insure me even with an exclusion on the melanoma???

Comments

• krrankin
    krrankin Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry, no clue. My husband tried to get supplemental insurance at work through Conseco. The rep told him I had to be disease (Melanoma) free for TEN years before they would cover me. Luckily I have coverage at work already. Good luck with your search. I will check around and let you know if I hear of anything.-Kristie
  • Dawgs
    Dawgs Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I`m going through the same thing, although cancer claimed my career. I`m struggling to relearn life with one eye, and the insurance issues sure don`t help. Especially with the Oncology tests, it gets very expensive. Disability doesn`t pay nearly what I made before. There is supposed to be a social worker calling me next week from acs, so if I find out anything, I`ll let you know.
  • dabbdc
    dabbdc Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I would start with your job. If there are 2-50 employees, you can work with your employer to get a group plan. In most states, small companies of that size get mandatory insurance and they only ask your name, address and age. You may need to get 75% of the people to participate. You should also try to get long term care and long term disability - there may be different underwriting standards for different types of insurance. You can get $25k of guaranteed issue life insurance as well. Please let me know if I can help:

David Bershtein, Lymphoma Survivor and Founder
    www.insuranceforsurvivors.com
    Please fill out the online form and we will get the team on it...