cancer and meaning of life

meaningofcancer
meaningofcancer Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hello,
I am a graduate student in psychology at Ohio State University and I would very much appreciate your help. I am studying how a cancer diagnosis leads people to re-evaluate meaning in their lives. I’ve developed a brief, web-based survey of cancer in meaning in life. If you have had cancer, please take a few minutes to participate! Please click on www.meaningoflifestudy.org. Our site also contains a link to a descriptions of research about the psychology of cancer.

Thanks so much!
Heather Jim
Stress and Immunity Cancer Projects
Ohio State University

Comments

• jdugan
    jdugan Member Posts: 3
    After Prostectomy
    Can anyone relate their experience in the first two to three weeks following their surgery. I am interested in knowing how the catheter part of the experience went to compare with my own situation, Thanks
  • rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    jdugan said:

After Prostectomy
    Can anyone relate their experience in the first two to three weeks following their surgery. I am interested in knowing how the catheter part of the experience went to compare with my own situation, Thanks

Please feel free to e-mail me at the address on my home page. I will be happy to relay my experiences with the catheter during my rehab.

Roger
  • qertiv
    qertiv Member Posts: 2
    jdugan said:

After Prostectomy

I've been out of the hospital for 4 days. The catheter's there and will be there for another ten days. My experience? The less you fool with it, the better. I have a leg bag for the day and a hanger for the night. sometimes I feel like I have to urinate really bad, but I've got rid of it by gently act like I'm pushing the cath back in a little. It doesn't go back in, but, I think, the irritation comes from it slighly trying to pull out a little.
  • jeffingbmich
    jeffingbmich Member Posts: 18
    jdugan said:

After Prostectomy

jdugan and others,

I had my surgery (radpros) on Feb. 10 and had little trouble with the catheter. I was well-coached before surgery so I knew what to expect. The pain was minimal unless I walked around too much, etc., then it would burn somewhat. Also, don't be surprised by bright to dark red blood in the urine. Bright is telling you to take it easy, you're irritating things. Dark is old blood that's dissolving. Both are scary at first but will come and go during the 2 weeks you have the catheter. I was very fortunate to have almost complete bladder control upon removal of the catheter due to good pre-op advice and coaching. Find out about kegel exercises (sphincter clinching) and do them regularly after catheter removal.
    I'm three weeks post-catheter today and I'm going without a pad for the first day. So far, so good. You just need to think about tightening your sphincter if you cough, laugh, fart, stand up, bend over, etc. Sounds like a lot of thinking but it becomes automatic after awhile. Good luck and keep working at it. It will get better!

jeffingbmich
  • rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member

jdugan and others,

I had my surgery (radpros) on Feb. 10 and had little trouble with the catheter. I was well-coached before surgery so I knew what to expect. The pain was minimal unless I walked around too much, etc., then it would burn somewhat. Also, don't be surprised by bright to dark red blood in the urine. Bright is telling you to take it easy, you're irritating things. Dark is old blood that's dissolving. Both are scary at first but will come and go during the 2 weeks you have the catheter. I was very fortunate to have almost complete bladder control upon removal of the catheter due to good pre-op advice and coaching. Find out about kegel exercises (sphincter clinching) and do them regularly after catheter removal.
    I'm three weeks post-catheter today and I'm going without a pad for the first day. So far, so good. You just need to think about tightening your sphincter if you cough, laugh, fart, stand up, bend over, etc. Sounds like a lot of thinking but it becomes automatic after awhile. Good luck and keep working at it. It will get better!

jeffingbmich

Jeffingbmich,

Congratulations on your relatively smooth recovery. I am nearing the 2nd aniversary of my prostatectomy. Like you, I was very fortunate in the lack of severity of my discomfort during recovery. I hope your recovery continues on track and the results you receive are comparable to mine.

I have absolutely NO side effects of the surgery and my life has resumed it's pre-surgery activities without restrictions.

Again, Congratulations
    Roger