In remission 28 years!

pommerenk
pommerenk Member Posts: 5
Hi there, I am now 45 years old. I was diagnosed with Hodgkins at age 8, after a 10 year battle I beat it (with radiation). They tried some chemos at the time but honestly didn't know what worked. So needless to say I went through a lot of various treatments and testing. Would love to hear from others with similar experiences or offer my support and share what I experienced with those interested. Good luck to all...Randy

Comments

• jsavre
    jsavre Member Posts: 5
    Hi Randy,
    It is great to hear from long term survivors! It is so sad that you had to deal with cancer at such a young age and had such a long battle with it :( Nice to hear your story, congrats!! I have been in remission for nearly 7 years now :)
  • pommerenk
    jsavre said:

Hi Randy,
    It is great to hear from long term survivors! It is so sad that you had to deal with cancer at such a young age and had such a long battle with it :( Nice to hear your story, congrats!! I have been in remission for nearly 7 years now :)

Hi there, thank you for your kind words and congratulations to you as well. As you know there is no good age/time to get Hodgkins and in a way perhaps my ignorance at age 8 worked to my advantage. As I got older, I to started to feel the anger you refered to (I read your original entry)it isn't fair is it? I am glad you are getting to the point you can talk to others about it, I don't think alot of people realize that cancer dosen't just effect you physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. After 7 years remission I hope you are starting to feel like your not just in remission, but cured. Take care of yourself and stay in touch...Randy
  • rose58
    rose58 Member Posts: 1
    hi randy just wanted to let you know that i am a long term survior of hodgkins disease. i was 1st treated with colbalt and later chemo and have a been in remission 17 years. i do have some problems do to no spleen and lung surgey. i have been able to return to work. over all i am very thankful to have a second chance. rose
  • divalisad
    divalisad Member Posts: 1
    Randy,

I was diagnosed at age 13. Just turned 48. It's been a long and dificult fight for me. Five surgeries over the past thirty something years - everything from throat to jaw to brain to hysterectomy and most recently heart - all related to my cancer and subsequent treatments and complications from it. Still fighting the good fight but would love to find a chat room to talk to others like me. Can you point me in a direction. My email is lisad@neteze.com. Thanks, Lisa
  • pommerenk
    rose58 said:

hi randy just wanted to let you know that i am a long term survior of hodgkins disease. i was 1st treated with colbalt and later chemo and have a been in remission 17 years. i do have some problems do to no spleen and lung surgey. i have been able to return to work. over all i am very thankful to have a second chance. rose

Hi Rose, Congratulations!!!! 17 years remission is wonderful.I am sorry to hear you have some residual problems but at least the cancer is gone and as you stated, you now have a second go at life. I to am absent a spleen now, so at my age (45) have to watch my fat intake, though I don't deprive myself too much (I love pizza and mexican food). It was interesting to read that your treatments were reverse of mine, as I had the chemo first and then the cobalt second (my story is on my "Personal Web Page" under my last name "Pommerenk"). So if you have returned back to work it sounds like you are well on your way to your 'second chance' at life...enjoy & have fun. As we know life can be too short...Happy & Healthy New Year to you, please stay in touch and let me know how your doing and once again Congratulations! Randy
  • pommerenk
    divalisad said:

Randy,

I was diagnosed at age 13. Just turned 48. It's been a long and dificult fight for me. Five surgeries over the past thirty something years - everything from throat to jaw to brain to hysterectomy and most recently heart - all related to my cancer and subsequent treatments and complications from it. Still fighting the good fight but would love to find a chat room to talk to others like me. Can you point me in a direction. My email is lisad@neteze.com. Thanks, Lisa

Hi Lisa, What a remarkable 35 years you have had, it takes a remarkable person to persavere that many surgeries and treatments...congratulations! It sounds like we were diagnosed around the same time (in the 60's...I am 45 now)it seems every H.D. patient has a different story of their battle (you can read mine in brief at my "Personal Web Page" under my last name Pommerenk)it's amazing that the effects of the cancer and the appropriate treatments differ so much. As far as a chat rooms applicable to people with similar stories, I'm not familiar with any real active ones...I seldom find anyone participating in the chat rooms at the CSN web site and am not familiar with any others. I kept your email address and will let you know if I hear of any, likewise please let me know if you hear of any...my email address is pomm@qnet.com or you can leave a message through my web page. As we know H.D. can be as taxing on us mentally as physically, talking to others with like experinces has always helped me, a good chat room would be wonderful for all of us. Take care, Randy
  • Maddie
    Maddie Member Posts: 1
    divalisad said:

Randy,

Hi Lisa,
    I was diagnosed at age 14 and am now 44 years old. I've had some residual problems over the years which I believe are related to my chemo and/or Hodgkin's.
    I just found this chat room a few minutes ago - I'm still adjusting to the shock of finding other long-term survivors of HD out there (I guess I've lived my life thinking perhaps I was the only one) and also the surprising immediate sense of belonging to a unigue group. All this is mixed with emotions I thought I had a handle on after all these years. It's good to find you guys.
    Maddie
  • becca12056
    becca12056 Member Posts: 10
    Maddie said:

Hi Lisa,
    I was diagnosed at age 14 and am now 44 years old. I've had some residual problems over the years which I believe are related to my chemo and/or Hodgkin's.
    I just found this chat room a few minutes ago - I'm still adjusting to the shock of finding other long-term survivors of HD out there (I guess I've lived my life thinking perhaps I was the only one) and also the surprising immediate sense of belonging to a unigue group. All this is mixed with emotions I thought I had a handle on after all these years. It's good to find you guys.
    Maddie

Hi Maddie...I had HD 27 years ago. I was 20 at the time. I've had no recurrences. I'm having some thyroid problems now but feel lucky to be alive!