15 month survivor of Stage III 1 lymph pos

jazzbo
jazzbo Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I

Comments

• celts
    celts Member Posts: 1
    Jazzbo, congratulations on your great news. It lifts my spirits. I'm helping my dear 58yr old mom who just had surgery for colorectal Stage III "1 lymph involved." We are in the middle of consultation for chemo and radiation therapy. She's terrified of both. Any advice? How were your side effects? Is 6 months+radiation sort of standard?

(Forgive me if my questions seem simplistic)

Celts
  • luckysparky
    luckysparky Member Posts: 7
    celts said:

Jazzbo, congratulations on your great news. It lifts my spirits. I'm helping my dear 58yr old mom who just had surgery for colorectal Stage III "1 lymph involved." We are in the middle of consultation for chemo and radiation therapy. She's terrified of both. Any advice? How were your side effects? Is 6 months+radiation sort of standard?

(Forgive me if my questions seem simplistic)

Celts

One month ago I drove my father for his first Colonoscopy at 65 (years young), He had symptoms, but we just thought it may be a polyp... But while I was waiting for him I was at the beach and The GI called me on my cell phone to BLUNTLY let me know my father has colon cancer! I fainted! I rushed to the hospital which was only about 5 minutes away. I was hysterical, finally the Dr. told me that it seems to be in early stages but because of his defibrillator (heart monitor) They cannot operate until we get several clearances. To make a long story short, I found the BEST surgeon, and cardiologist and his internist it took 2 weeks to get the surgery. It was the scariest time in my life. Then I found the best oncologist in my state. Once the cancer was removed it did penetrate through the walls and 2 spots in his nodes were found, though the nodes were removed too!

The oncologist asked if we would like to participate in a trial which would be the standard F5/U & Lucvorin with Oxiaplatin.

I really need to hear from some others who are familiar with this trial, my research seems it is harder on the patient Vs the standard f5u/LV. Please tell me some success stories. Please if you have had the F5-U/LV I would really like to hear from you.

Oxiaplatin seems to be successful with tumors, and mestised cancer. But there are very little studies for Stage III. I do not want to put my Daddy through any rigorous treatment if not necessary? Please advise I only have 2 weeks before he starts treatment, and I want to know as much as possible! My Daddy means the world to me! Did I make the right choice?

God Bless you all
  • luckysparky
    luckysparky Member Posts: 7
    One month ago I drove my father for his first Colonoscopy at 65 (years young), He had symptoms, but we just thought it may be a polyp... But while I was waiting for him I was at the beach and The GI called me on my cell phone to BLUNTLY let me know my father has colon cancer! I fainted! I rushed to the hospital which was only about 5 minutes away. I was hysterical, finally the Dr. told me that it seems to be in early stages but because of his defibrillator (heart monitor) They cannot operate until we get several clearances. To make a long story short, I found the BEST surgeon, and cardiologist and his internist it took 2 weeks to get the surgery. It was the scariest time in my life. Then I found the best oncologist in my state. Once the cancer was removed it did penetrate through the walls and 2 spots in his nodes were found, though the nodes were removed too!

The oncologist asked if we would like to participate in a trial which would be the standard F5/U & Lucvorin with Oxiaplatin.

I really need to hear from some others who are familiar with this trial, my research seems it is harder on the patient Vs the standard f5u/LV. Please tell me some success stories. Please if you have had the F5-U/LV I would really like to hear from you.