Does anyone survive brain cancer?

baylas
baylas Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Brain Cancer #1
My Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer last Sept and it had spread to her brain. She had surgery to remove the largest tumor and radiation on the smaller tumors, then chemo for the lung. The tumor in the lung was shrinking, so she is now getting radiation on the lung to shrink it further. But she just had an MRI which shows one of the tumors in her brain has doubled in size. Has anyone beat this? Please give me some good news.

Comments

• kidjpo
    kidjpo Member Posts: 7
    My husband had lung cancer that spread to the brain. Had surgery to remove the brain tumor January 27, 1999. Then radiation to the brain and to the lung. Then he underwent Physical Therapy and began walking, driving again (had weakness in the right side, like a stroke victim) He fell and broke his right hip in December that year, so now walks with a walker.
  • kidjpo
    kidjpo Member Posts: 7
    kidjpo said:

My husband had lung cancer that spread to the brain. Had surgery to remove the brain tumor January 27, 1999. Then radiation to the brain and to the lung. Then he underwent Physical Therapy and began walking, driving again (had weakness in the right side, like a stroke victim) He fell and broke his right hip in December that year, so now walks with a walker.

Sorry, hit submit button before done. Anyway he had another small leision in the lung and on Jan. 4th had what they call radiofrequency ablation which means they went in and burned off the cancer cells. His lung function is only 26%, so this was the best surgery for him. Doesn't even need to have oxygen! He is doing fine, still has a drainage tube that is draining the lung, but expects it to come out next week when we go back to the Dr. Will need radiation to the lung again. But, hey, I'm expecting to have him around for awhile. So, yes one does survive brain cancer and he does have a quality of life. We go to church, out to dinner, usually Fla. in the winter, etc. So, expect the best. God Bless!
  • loulou
    loulou Member Posts: 65 Member
    I was diagnosed Jan. 5, 2000 with nscl, lypmnode involvment and brain lesions. I am feeling great today. So yes, you can survive!!!
    loulou
  • tazmoe
    tazmoe Member Posts: 1
    I was diagnosed with brain cancer, I had a cancerous tumor called an ependymoma. It's not exactly the same thing, but it was brain surgury. I had to go through two brain surguries, and radiation. They got it all, so i'm very thankful. I have the rest of my life in front of me now, I am a surviver. I hope this helps you some.
    God Bless,
    Tazmoe
  • lisa777
    lisa777 Member Posts: 13
    I am a brain cancer survivor, so yes we do exsist. I had a very rare and complicated type and had less then a 5% chance to live. .
  • mwiltshire
    mwiltshire Member Posts: 1
    lisa777 said:

I am a brain cancer survivor, so yes we do exsist. I had a very rare and complicated type and had less then a 5% chance to live. .

Hi lisa777 I had a tumour removed from near brain stem about 13 months ago, said to be rare and slow growing.Had stereotactic radio therapy 2 months ago.I have right side weakness,but can walk and talk alright.Live in New Zealand am 69.
    user name is mwiltshire
    greetings from Michael
  • morrxs
    morrxs Member Posts: 6
    A great answer to that question can be found in Lance Armstrong's book "It's not about the bike"
  • PAM61
    PAM61 Member Posts: 2
    tazmoe said:

I was diagnosed with brain cancer, I had a cancerous tumor called an ependymoma. It's not exactly the same thing, but it was brain surgury. I had to go through two brain surguries, and radiation. They got it all, so i'm very thankful. I have the rest of my life in front of me now, I am a surviver. I hope this helps you some.
    God Bless,
    Tazmoe

Hi, My father was just found out he has brain cancer, 9 months ago, he had a small cancer tumor removed from his lung, he had been in terrible pain, in the back neck, etc they thought it was nerve damage, to make a long story shorter, he has 2 lison's and another on the neck near the spine. He is having radiation now for 10 days, then that's all they can do. We don't know what to expect, the Dr's say best case he will live for a year, has anyone gone through this ?? they can't operate, due to multiple spots, and they say they can only radiate the head for the 10 days.
    He is 67yrs old.......pray for recovery...
  • Ruth13
    Ruth13 Member Posts: 1
    My son now 5yrs. old had a medullablastoma tumor removed when he was 2yrs. old, it was very large and over the medulla and onto the right and left side. He had chemo. and radation. He does have some slite weakness on his right side,a bit of a blance problem and because of his age at the treatment he now has and will always have learning disabilties. I was told about the risks and everyone thought the outcome would be worse because of the size,place and his young age at treatment. But he is here and can walk, talk, play and laugh. He also is one of the most loving kids I know and gives the best hugs! I can not count the nights the nurses cryed with me and tryed to build me up because everyone was sure he would not make it to the morning, so even when it seems its worse,never give up, I can not say that everyone makes it, but my son sends you a big hug and tell you sometimes things get better!
  • luckycharm705
    luckycharm705 Member Posts: 2
    tazmoe said:

God Bless,
    Tazmoe

Hi,my name is Giner I am new to this network .Just browsing,hope you don't mine.I had the same thing you did.I am 33yrs.old now and I had my surgery when I was 12yrs.old.I am a suvivor too.Glad to read about someone who went through the same as I.If you would like to talk feel free.My e-mail is luckycharm705@aol.com

TO:TAZMOE,or others who have had same type of cancer.
  • HappyChappy
    HappyChappy Member Posts: 2
    Yes mate I have my 3rd malignant brain tumor I have had 2 removed and a large section of my brain that slowly died but luckly my left hand side learnt to take over. If you want to ask any questions just message me I will be happy to answer any questions no matter how graphic or touching you think they may be as it is my life and has been since I was 10 which is 18 yrs ago
  • stevieboy22003
    stevieboy22003 Member Posts: 1
    hi i had a tumour which covered 1/4 of my brain removed 2 years ago i then went through months of radiotherapy,,i am ok now though it has left me with epilepsy
  • oahquay
    oahquay Member Posts: 1
    What about if the docs can't remove all of the tumor and it's malignant? My wife had most of a malignant tumor removed and they're giving her only 5 years. I just found out yesterday and I'm scared.
  • DCovington
    DCovington Member Posts: 6 Member
    oahquay said:

What about if the docs can't remove all of the tumor and it's malignant? My wife had most of a malignant tumor removed and they're giving her only 5 years. I just found out yesterday and I'm scared.

Yes, Ihave survived over 5 years. I went through Radiation, and Chemo. But I think the best thing is to look Up and ask the Lord for Help
  • Carolyn48
    Carolyn48 Member Posts: 7

Yes, Ihave survived over 5 years. I went through Radiation, and Chemo. But I think the best thing is to look Up and ask the Lord for Help

My husband underwent 15 days of whole brain radiation and is now undergoing chemo for his lung. Has anyone experienced severe forehead burn, nausea and extreme fatigue and how long does the forehead redness last? Thanks.
  • beth22
    beth22 Member Posts: 1
    Ruth13 said:

My son now 5yrs. old had a medullablastoma tumor removed when he was 2yrs. old, it was very large and over the medulla and onto the right and left side. He had chemo. and radation. He does have some slite weakness on his right side,a bit of a blance problem and because of his age at the treatment he now has and will always have learning disabilties. I was told about the risks and everyone thought the outcome would be worse because of the size,place and his young age at treatment. But he is here and can walk, talk, play and laugh. He also is one of the most loving kids I know and gives the best hugs! I can not count the nights the nurses cryed with me and tryed to build me up because everyone was sure he would not make it to the morning, so even when it seems its worse,never give up, I can not say that everyone makes it, but my son sends you a big hug and tell you sometimes things get better!

my 2.5 year old grandaughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor back in january it has now been over two months and she is on her second chemo out of six they are very extensive she is not able to talk,see,situp or move any of her body parts. can you let me know if this is what your son went through or let me know how long it took for him to start getting back to normal.thanks beth
  • jay1973
    jay1973 Member Posts: 8
    I am a brain tumor survivor. You should never lose hope. I was diagnosed when I was 17. I'm 32 now, and am cancer free and feeling great.
  • jeani13
    jeani13 Member Posts: 9
    Carolyn48 said:

My husband underwent 15 days of whole brain radiation and is now undergoing chemo for his lung. Has anyone experienced severe forehead burn, nausea and extreme fatigue and how long does the forehead redness last? Thanks.

severe forehead burn, nausea and extreme fatigue
    It goes away eventually, my husband had 25 WBR Treatments and his head felt like you could fry an egg on it. It was burning up for months.
  • Rory1987
    Rory1987 Member Posts: 120
    of course you can. I've read
    of course you can. I've read a lot of survivor stories of brain cancer patients who are alive until now since their diagnosis 20+ years ago, i've even read one who is already a 40+ year survivor of brain cancer.
  • mgreggsmith
    mgreggsmith Member Posts: 22
    Brain cancer
    Anyone reading this post has survived brain cancer.

In the end Nature will have its way with all of us. Until then I think it is helpful to relax, take care of yourself, accept one's condition with grace and try to be a model of love. In the end that is all there is.

G.