Oxaliplatin(OXAL), 5-Fluorouracil(5-FU),Irinotecan(CPT-11)

pygardanis
pygardanis Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi!
I just have been diagnosed with colon cancer stage IV with liver metastasis. I am 50 years old, live in Toronto, Canada. I would like to hear from anyone who is taking the above combination. In Canada is still a Randomize Phase III Trial. I heard that this combination is being used (successfully?) in Europe and the U.S.A. I would appreciate any answers.
Thanks
Peter

Comments

• hege
    hege Member Posts: 12
    I'm just beginning a form of this trial. I got randomized into the arm that includes OXAL and CPT-11. The trial is out of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and is also a Phase III. E-mail me if you have any questions.

All my best. Hege
  • pygardanis
    hege said:

I'm just beginning a form of this trial. I got randomized into the arm that includes OXAL and CPT-11. The trial is out of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and is also a Phase III. E-mail me if you have any questions.

All my best. Hege

Today I went for a second opinion which was not of much help or information. I have decided to go for this clinical trial which is apparently in Phase III. I will probably start treatment in February. I guess I have to go for some tests before I start treatment. I am really worried about the side effects. I was diagnosed with Colon cancer stage IV with metastasis in the liver. I am 50 years old, and always been in good health I have been diagnosed las Nov. 15, 2001. I would really appreciate if you could please write me at my e-mail : pygardanis@altavista.com - I will get my treatment at St. Joseph's Hospital in Toronto, Canada. Thanks Peter
  • lomack
    lomack Member Posts: 2
    Peter,
    Hang in there. My wife, age 56 was diag. in Nov. with colon cancer and they called it stage IV. We started out at the local doctor and went for a second opinion at the Univerisity of Chicago who has an outstanding reputation for cancer treatment. The local guy wanted to operate right away, the Chief of Surgery, Oncology, Univ. of Chicago met with us and said do the chemo first. We met with the Oncology people and they started her on the CPT-11/5-FU/LEUCOVORIN treatment right away. Her treatment consists of 3 cycles of 6 weeks each broken down as follows: each Monday for 4 weeks in a row she receives the chemo thru a vein, then she has 2 weeks off with only a blood draw on Mondays. After the second cycle they will do another CAT scan to measure progress. She has just started the 2nd cycle with her first treatment on Monday. While I realize that it varies for each person, she has done very well with the chemo so far. On the first round, (4 weeks on, 2 weeks off,) she experienced tiredness, some nausea and some diarreaha for the first couple of days after treatment. Usually Tuesday and Wednesday were uncomfortable but by Thursday she felt pretty much back to normal. Her biggest problem both before we found out she had cancer and now while under treatment is a bloating, gassy problem that has been hard to control. She gets the parastolic waves but no movement and then the cramps increase. I'm sure that down the road she will need some bypass surgery to alleviate this problem. Other than that, no hair loss, mouth sores or uncontrollable diarreaha.
    My thoughts are with you, and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to write.
    One tip, we have found that you have to drink at least a quart of water a day to flush your system. These are some pretty nasty chemicals and you do need to flush your system.
    Good Luck!!!
    Ken McAloon
  • pygardanis
    hege said:

All my best. Hege

How are you feeling, I understand that OXAL is very strong, how are you coping with the side effects??
    Peter
  • pygardanis
    lomack said:

Peter,
    Hang in there. My wife, age 56 was diag. in Nov. with colon cancer and they called it stage IV. We started out at the local doctor and went for a second opinion at the Univerisity of Chicago who has an outstanding reputation for cancer treatment. The local guy wanted to operate right away, the Chief of Surgery, Oncology, Univ. of Chicago met with us and said do the chemo first. We met with the Oncology people and they started her on the CPT-11/5-FU/LEUCOVORIN treatment right away. Her treatment consists of 3 cycles of 6 weeks each broken down as follows: each Monday for 4 weeks in a row she receives the chemo thru a vein, then she has 2 weeks off with only a blood draw on Mondays. After the second cycle they will do another CAT scan to measure progress. She has just started the 2nd cycle with her first treatment on Monday. While I realize that it varies for each person, she has done very well with the chemo so far. On the first round, (4 weeks on, 2 weeks off,) she experienced tiredness, some nausea and some diarreaha for the first couple of days after treatment. Usually Tuesday and Wednesday were uncomfortable but by Thursday she felt pretty much back to normal. Her biggest problem both before we found out she had cancer and now while under treatment is a bloating, gassy problem that has been hard to control. She gets the parastolic waves but no movement and then the cramps increase. I'm sure that down the road she will need some bypass surgery to alleviate this problem. Other than that, no hair loss, mouth sores or uncontrollable diarreaha.
    My thoughts are with you, and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to write.
    One tip, we have found that you have to drink at least a quart of water a day to flush your system. These are some pretty nasty chemicals and you do need to flush your system.
    Good Luck!!!
    Ken McAloon

Hi Ken:
    My prayers are with you guys...I would like to thank you for your response. It reasures me that I am in the right direction. I will start treatment next week. I do not know which arm of the study I will get. I will keep in touch, and please let us know how your wife is feeling. Thanks. Peter
  • pygardanis
    hege said:

All my best. Hege

Hello Hege!
    How are you feeling. My prayers are with you. I am starting the treatment next week but I do not know which arm I am going to get. How are you coping with the side effects??Regards, Peter
  • hege
    hege Member Posts: 12

Hello Hege!
    How are you feeling. My prayers are with you. I am starting the treatment next week but I do not know which arm I am going to get. How are you coping with the side effects??Regards, Peter

Peter,
    I received my second dose this past Wednesday and I'm doing really well. The vein they use is really sore but they tell me thats to be expected. I have had some brief waves of nausea but they are mild and controllable. My hair fell out last week but the Mr Clean look is really growing on me. Good luck with your first treatment and don't get to nervous. I was sicker before my first chemo because of nerves than I was after. If you get the chance let me know what arm you get.
    Wishing you the best!
    Hege
  • kim35
    kim35 Member Posts: 2
    lomack said:

Peter,
    Good Luck!!!
    Ken McAloon

Hi Ken -
    How is your wife doing? My dad, 63, found out two weeks ago that he has stage IV colon cancer. We were all devasted considering he had no typical signs of the disease. His primary systems were unexplained and severe muscle fatigue and ultimately severe anemia.

The doctors have removed the primary tumor but the liver metastatsis is incurable. The doctors are recommending chemo therapy, which I believe, is similar to what your wife is undergoing. In addition to the CPT-11/5-FU + Leucovorin once a week for four weeks. As part of a clinical trial, they are also going to give him VegF - some type of antibody. He will probably start as soon as he recovers from surgery in a few weeks.

Any information you have on how you and your wife are managing would be appreciated.

Kim
  • pygardanis
    lomack said:

Peter,
    Good Luck!!!
    Ken McAloon

Hello Ken:

I have been randomized in this trial with the same treatment of your wife, which is CPT11/5FLU/LEUCOVORIN. I Just finished the second cycle. I get Chemo every Thursday for 4 weeks and 2 weeks off, same frequency as your wife. I feel good in general, I did not have hair loss only thinning out, however I experience a lot of gas, and I have a problem with hemorroids which is causing me a lot of pain and disconfort. I wonder if your wife experienced the same.
    How is she feeling now? Would you please write me at my new e-mail address: pygar@hotmail.com. My prayers are with you.

Peter
  • alande
    alande Member Posts: 7
    lomack said:

Peter,
    Good Luck!!!
    Ken McAloon

so sorry to ask, but how is you wife coping right now? my mom has the same diagnosis on 16 may. she is considering whether to go the therapy. she is afraid of the side effects and not very confident of the effectiveness of the therapy.
  • alande
    alande Member Posts: 7
    kim35 said:

Hi Ken -
    How is your wife doing? My dad, 63, found out two weeks ago that he has stage IV colon cancer. We were all devasted considering he had no typical signs of the disease. His primary systems were unexplained and severe muscle fatigue and ultimately severe anemia.

The doctors have removed the primary tumor but the liver metastatsis is incurable. The doctors are recommending chemo therapy, which I believe, is similar to what your wife is undergoing. In addition to the CPT-11/5-FU + Leucovorin once a week for four weeks. As part of a clinical trial, they are also going to give him VegF - some type of antibody. He will probably start as soon as he recovers from surgery in a few weeks.

Any information you have on how you and your wife are managing would be appreciated.

Kim

hi kim, how is your dad doing? my mom also has stage iv colon cancer. the doctor say the tumour in her colon could not be removed. she is recommended to undergo the cpt-11/5-fu/leucovorin therapy soon.
    Any information from you would be greatly appreciated.
    alan