One year post-rp...I bicycled 431 miles last week!

jackb
jackb Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
This is to anyone who has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and wonders if they will ever be able to get back to having the same energy as before rp. I had my surgery at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore 10/18/00. Before the surgery, I loved to ride my bicycle long distances. I had ridden across the state of Maryland and Virginia often and loved it. I wondered if I would ever be able to ride a bicycle again after rp. The Cycle Across Maryland and Bike Virginia were held in the summer. I didn't feel like there had been enough time since my operation to ride in those. My goal was to complete Cycle North Carolina, from Mt. Airy, NC to Elizabeth City, NC (a distance of 431 miles in 7 days)in October 2001 - the first anniversary of my operation. Well, I DID IT! It wasn't easy at first...the mountains in western NC are VERY steep and the daily distances were long (50 to 80 miles each day). We camped out in tents at night, and woke up several mornings with ice on the tent. This is to let you know that there IS hope - you CAN get back to where you were before rp. Just don't give up. Your goals may be very different from mine. Just try to strive to get back to doing something you loved to do before rp.

Comments

• bwalker5839
    bwalker5839 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Jean, Have you let him come home yet? Or is he in Arizona by now!!!
    question fro you: when i see a note posted, with 3 replies, i can read the original note, but can't figure out how to get to the previous replies. Any clues for me?
    Hope you & Jack are having fun nowdays.
    Bill
  • jackb
    jackb Member Posts: 14

Hi Jean, Have you let him come home yet? Or is he in Arizona by now!!!
    question fro you: when i see a note posted, with 3 replies, i can read the original note, but can't figure out how to get to the previous replies. Any clues for me?
    Hope you & Jack are having fun nowdays.
    Bill

Yep - he's back from his 2nd year post-op ride. Back to keeping the city safe from the bad guys. Nope - the homepage message system must have been developed by a fed...can't see former replies. Just say the same thing over and over, and you'll never have a problem!