after surviving hodgkin's

auntk
auntk Member Posts: 2
i'm 32 years old and had last chemo treatmen nov. 1997. however, during the chemo treatments i gained weight. still can't get it off! any suggestions on how to do this? obviously my body is not as it was before. looked for books and articles about this, but found next to nothing. thanks for any help.

Comments

• pgraham
    pgraham Member Posts: 1
    auntk,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. (My oncologist said that weight gain in HD patients is rare.) I'm 36 years old and received my last treatment of ABVD (no radiation) in December of 2000. Rather than loosing weight during treatment, I put on 14 pounds and am still climbing. I exercise more now (aerobics, walking, cycling) than ever before and am watching what I eat but, the pounds keep on coming. They have discovered nodules in my thyroid but, after biopsy have determined they are [thankfully] benign. I will continue working with my providers on the issue. If I find anything out I'll be happy to pass it along. For now I remain equally frustrated and concerned about what the extra weight is doing to my heart...
  • Chemosabe02
    Chemosabe02 Member Posts: 7
    pgraham said:

auntk,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. (My oncologist said that weight gain in HD patients is rare.) I'm 36 years old and received my last treatment of ABVD (no radiation) in December of 2000. Rather than loosing weight during treatment, I put on 14 pounds and am still climbing. I exercise more now (aerobics, walking, cycling) than ever before and am watching what I eat but, the pounds keep on coming. They have discovered nodules in my thyroid but, after biopsy have determined they are [thankfully] benign. I will continue working with my providers on the issue. If I find anything out I'll be happy to pass it along. For now I remain equally frustrated and concerned about what the extra weight is doing to my heart...

I put on weight too! I think about 10 -12lbs. Have stepped up my exercise and watch my diet, but the weight is not melting aways. I do notice some of my "fat pants" are getting loose, but it is a slow process. I think the inability to exercise and the comfort foods did me in, but I have the rest of my life to lose it. :)