rectal cancer treatments & surgery

s.w.johnson
s.w.johnson Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am new to the discussion group and I am checking to see if anyone has under gone surgery for rectal cancer.

Comments

• dont
    dont Member Posts: 8
    s.w. johnson:
    I UNDERWENT COLON CANCER SURGERY IN LATE JUNE OF LAST YEAR.IT WAS A STAGE 3,INTO THE LYMPH NODES.THE SURGEN REMOVED 18" OF MY COLON AND 7 NODES.
    I HAVE JUST COMPLETED 4 ROUNDS OF CHEMOTHERAPY AND 28 DAYS OF RADIATION AND CHEMO. COMBINATION.
    I AM VERY GLAD TO TELL YOU THAT I EXPERIANCED NO SIDE EFFECTS OF EITHER THE CHEMO OR THE RADIATION!!! I KNOW THAT I AM EXTREMELY FORTUNATE.I HAVE HAD GREAT DOCTORS,ONCOLIGISTS AND FAMILT AND FRIENDS SUPPORT.
    OTHER THAN A WEEK IN THE HOSPITAL AND A WEEK AND HALF AT HOME,I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO WORK EVERY DAY [DESK JOB]
    THE FUTURE IS NEVER CERTAIN FOR ANYONE,BUT WITH FOLLOW UP TESTING ,I LOOK FORWARD TO A LONG LIFE.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
  • arntn
    arntn Member Posts: 15
    I had the surgery 5 years ago at age 46. I have had the maximum treatments of radiation and chemotherapy. I have a colostomy and live a fairly normal life - considering that I choose to irrigate daily and I love to eat!
  • s.w.johnson
    arntn said:

I had the surgery 5 years ago at age 46. I have had the maximum treatments of radiation and chemotherapy. I have a colostomy and live a fairly normal life - considering that I choose to irrigate daily and I love to eat!

Hi, They have changed the design of the web page since I first started using it way back in August 2000 and I just realized you responded to a message I posted way back then. I had a temporary illeostomy after my rectal surgery so I only have a short experience with ostomies, but long enough to know what you must live with everyday. You have my respect and understanding for living with an ostomy. I got lucky because they were able to do sphincter sparing surgery and reconstruct my rectum using my colon. I am learning to deal with multiple bowel movements everday, but it does not slow me down - just makes me check where the bathrooms are.... Steve
  • s.w.johnson
    dont said:

s.w. johnson:
    I UNDERWENT COLON CANCER SURGERY IN LATE JUNE OF LAST YEAR.IT WAS A STAGE 3,INTO THE LYMPH NODES.THE SURGEN REMOVED 18" OF MY COLON AND 7 NODES.
    I HAVE JUST COMPLETED 4 ROUNDS OF CHEMOTHERAPY AND 28 DAYS OF RADIATION AND CHEMO. COMBINATION.
    I AM VERY GLAD TO TELL YOU THAT I EXPERIANCED NO SIDE EFFECTS OF EITHER THE CHEMO OR THE RADIATION!!! I KNOW THAT I AM EXTREMELY FORTUNATE.I HAVE HAD GREAT DOCTORS,ONCOLIGISTS AND FAMILT AND FRIENDS SUPPORT.
    OTHER THAN A WEEK IN THE HOSPITAL AND A WEEK AND HALF AT HOME,I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO WORK EVERY DAY [DESK JOB]
    THE FUTURE IS NEVER CERTAIN FOR ANYONE,BUT WITH FOLLOW UP TESTING ,I LOOK FORWARD TO A LONG LIFE.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

I love to hear positive attitudes when we talk about our cancer experiences. I too have always looked at the bright side of what I have been through and the fact that I am alive and look forward to everyday God will give me. I coming up on 10 months in remission and the only thing I have too worry about is the tests to verify I am still cancer-free. I will keep a positve attude about those too. Steve
  • catch9
    catch9 Member Posts: 11
    Had surgery to remove a tumor from colon, just above the rectum - far enough away to NOT have to get the colostomy bag. Getting chemo now to remove the remaining cancer from my lymph nodes. Had a hell of a time after surgery with diahrea - 25 trips to the john per day sometimes! My system is settling down somewhat - I take Imodium and it helps. Talk to the doc first before you take it. Hope your doing well.
  • candisoo
    candisoo Member Posts: 3
    Yes I was diagnosed in Oct. 01, with rectal cancer. Began Chemo and radiation in November lasted for 5 weeks. The last two weeks were pretty rough. Skin can only take so much, and what tender skin it was! I had surgery on Jan. 22, 2002. They removed my rectum and ovaries. I had a temporary ileostomy for 8 weeks and the reversal was done at the end of March. I have not been able to return to work yet, due to a stricture developing at the resection site, but hope to be back to school soon. Miss my students. I do have a lot of problems with bowel control still, many frequent stools some days, then nothing for a few days, then we start all over again. I have been very lucky, lymphnodes were clear. Still have frequent blood work, etc. at the docs, I now only go every 90 days or so. I was only in the hopsital for 5 days after first surgery. The recovery was not bad, getting used to the ileo. took some doing, but you can do anything, when you don't have a choice. Please let me know if I can help in any way. You can email me a Formanall@aol.com. Good Luck, God Bless. Candisoo
  • cmjohnson
    cmjohnson Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I have had the surgery. I had rectal cancer just 2 inches from the anus. I was very lucky that they could resection the area, since I had extra colon. I now have frequent stools, but it is well worth the
    alternative. My surgeon was very skilled and i thank God for his skill. I am now in the process of seeing an oncology doctor for chemo treatments. The surgeon took out the 14 nodes and all was clear, but one micro spec of cancer in one. I have a 70% chance of cancer not coming back with doing nothing, and about 85% chance with chemo.
    My chemo will be 5fu and levcovoin (not sure of last spelling) I am getting a second opinion and will go from there. The surgery was not pleasant, but well worth the pain and discomfort. I was very thankful i did not have to have the rectum removed. The tumor was small, so the doctor removed all and it was not through the wall. My cancer was growing out instead of in. CM Johnson
  • cam
    cam Member Posts: 1
    I'm new myself. I had surgery two weeks ago. I had a small tumor and my doctor removed 8" of colon and report showed the stalk of tumor affected one lymth node. I'm told I need chemo next. My doctor said I was very lucky I came to him when I did. I'm scared, I never dreamed this would ever happen to me. I guess we all feel this way. The only thing that helps me is I remind myself, it could have been alot worse. I like reading the success stories. I never realize that most of the chemo was over a long length of time. My doctor told me to look into using the port-a-cath. I would like some input about this from everyone who used the port-a-cath.
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    s w johnson
    In December 2009 I was dxed with colon cancer. February of 2010 was Chemo and radiation. May was resection.w/iliostomy. June was reversal of iliostomy. May of 2011 new colonoscopy- findings -NO CANCER NED. Various scans and tests since. still ned, Don;t be afraid!!! You too can overco9me it all as I have. Good luch!!!!
  • danker
    catch9 said:

Had surgery to remove a tumor from colon, just above the rectum - far enough away to NOT have to get the colostomy bag. Getting chemo now to remove the remaining cancer from my lymph nodes. Had a hell of a time after surgery with diahrea - 25 trips to the john per day sometimes! My system is settling down somewhat - I take Imodium and it helps. Talk to the doc first before you take it. Hope your doing well.

Catch 9
    Ask your doc to give you lomatil. It is stronger than imodium. Has worked wonders for my diarrhea.
  • danker
    cam said:

I'm new myself. I had surgery two weeks ago. I had a small tumor and my doctor removed 8" of colon and report showed the stalk of tumor affected one lymth node. I'm told I need chemo next. My doctor said I was very lucky I came to him when I did. I'm scared, I never dreamed this would ever happen to me. I guess we all feel this way. The only thing that helps me is I remind myself, it could have been alot worse. I like reading the success stories. I never realize that most of the chemo was over a long length of time. My doctor told me to look into using the port-a-cath. I would like some input about this from everyone who used the port-a-cath.

cam
    don't know what you mean by "port-a cath". I had a port put in my chest. it is a small baskek with acatheter to my artery. The Chemo was then fed into to port 24/7 through a Pump @ 1 1/4 mlt per hr. for the five weeks i was getting radiation,before my resection.All ultimately went well and I am now two years out and living a normal life. Incidentally, next month I will be 80.

Good luck to you!!!!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    danker said:

cam
    don't know what you mean by "port-a cath". I had a port put in my chest. it is a small baskek with acatheter to my artery. The Chemo was then fed into to port 24/7 through a Pump @ 1 1/4 mlt per hr. for the five weeks i was getting radiation,before my resection.All ultimately went well and I am now two years out and living a normal life. Incidentally, next month I will be 80.

Good luck to you!!!!

Danker
    Cam last posted on December 6, 2002,
    They might not reply...
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    danker said:

s w johnson
    In December 2009 I was dxed with colon cancer. February of 2010 was Chemo and radiation. May was resection.w/iliostomy. June was reversal of iliostomy. May of 2011 new colonoscopy- findings -NO CANCER NED. Various scans and tests since. still ned, Don;t be afraid!!! You too can overco9me it all as I have. Good luch!!!!

danker
    Hey.....just wanted to mention that you are replying to some very old posts.
    Doubt that you will get a reply from that person from so many years ago. People come and go for various reasons.
    Glad you are doing well. That is great!!!
  • danker
    janie1 said:

danker
    Doubt that you will get a reply from that person from so many years ago. People come and go for various reasons.

Janie 1
    Thank you. Phill has already advised me of how old the post is. Hope you are doing as well as I am!!!
  • danker
    janie1 said:

danker

Janie 1
    Thank you. Phill has already advised me of how old the post is. Hope you are doing as well as I am!!!