5 down, 5 to go

ERomanO
ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
edited June 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I had my 5-year follow-up on Monday and I am as unremarkable as ever. Quite boring, actually. Nothing to report other than I will now visit once a year for he next 5 years. Ongoing side effects are pretty much limited to a little dry mouth/throat, and some neuropathy in the hands and feet. Both of which are easily manageable.

For any and all newcomers to the forum, may your treatments be successful, your side affects minimal, and your life a long and happy journey.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,260 Member

Mr. Romano, thanks for sharing the wonderful news. There is nothing better for a cancer patient to hear than Boring, Unremarkable, NED, it's the best. I am so glad you got through this all with very light side effects in the end, you are very blessed. So just keep on enjoying life and I am wishing you forever checkups every year that are just plain boooooooring.

We Celebrate with you

Take care, God Bless-Russ

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member

ERomanO,

What OUTSTANDING news to read today on a cloudy, boring day 😀. May your yearly visits be all Clear's .

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• ERomanO
    edited May 2023 #4

Thank you, Russ & MarinE5. I never take life's blessings for granted. And as I type this, the sun is actually trying to show its existence. Life is good, for sure!

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 175 Member

Congrats ERomanO, live life to the fullest! Wishing you contiued sucess.

• jim108
    jim108 Member Posts: 31 Member

ERomanO thanks for sharing this and congratulations

• ERomanO

Thank you, Big G and Jim108. I hope all is well with both of you as well.

• big G

ERomanO, I was just curious if your reaching the 5-year mark included any scans? I am about 6 months from 5 years and have been getting scoped. I went from every 3 months to 6 months between scopes last year. I believe after this next scope I will be yearly. Thanks

• ERomanO

That's a good question. I had a PET and CT scan 3 months after finishing my treatments. They told me that those would be the last unless there was cause for more. I also had a chest x-ray every year. Follow-ups, which included a scope each time, were every 3 months for the first 2 years, then every 6 months the last 3 years. During the 6 month intervals I saw my ENT every other visit. A nurse practitioner would do the stop the other times and the ENT would view it and write the report.

It sure seems like it's been a lifetime ago since this all started, so I can only imagine how the members feel that have checked in after 10-15 years.

My life is pretty full, and I like it that way. I play guitar and perform 2-4 times a week, and I go to the gym 2-4 times a week to get some cardio and weightlifting in. As I type I'm having my breakfast and will head out to one of the towpath trailheads and go for a 20 mile bike ride (maybe more if I feel up to it). My girlfriend and I are in the process of purchasing a mobile home in SW Florida for the occasional winter getaway. We'll be going out to southern Utah for a vacay in Sept to visit some National and State Parks.

As I said, I feel very blessed and hope everyone else feels the same. The older we get, the more challenging life gets even without having to deal with the after effects of H&N cancer. Even though my side effects. are minimal, I still have to always have my gabapentin on hand and do my darling fluoride treatments. On top of that, I've lost most of my sight in my right eye from glaucoma, but even that doesn't deter me.

Enough of my rambling. Here's a toast (of coffee) to all the good people of the club that no one wants to belong to. But here we are, getting inspiration from those that have been through the wringer before and keep on going, getting a wealth of knowledge from the articles posted my wbcgaruss, and giving words of encouragement to those who just joined.

Cheers!

• big G

Thanks for the info. I did have a pet and a C/T scan of the chest 3 months after treatments. Since I have had scopes only. They said they would not scan anymore unless there was a reason to. I know different doctors have different protocols that’s what I was asking. Thanks

Good luck, keep on keeping on!

• ERomanO

Sorry about rambling on so much. I got carried away. :)

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,260 Member

No problem with a little rambling Mr. Romano. That's what NED's are for. We are glad you are still here to ramble at us.

Take Care, God Bless-Russ

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member

Super!

Always a cheer for those annual "unremarkable" reports. Glad to see old friends still hanging here and doing well. Take care, don

• ERomanO

Thanks, Don! I hope you are doing well, too.