First CT results mid-chemo--what to make of this?

kblairj
kblairj Member Posts: 21 Member
edited May 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

My husband got his first CT scans since starting chemo--he has Stage IV with peritoneal mets. Everything is clear--he originally had lymph involvement and some suspicious lung spots, and he had an emergency colon resection for a primary tumor in January--except the following:

"Some nodularity within the omentum and mesentery consistent with peritoneal carcinomatosis and appears to be increased compared to prior study. "

He has had 1 round of Xelox (discontinued) and 4 rounds of Folfox--3 with Avastin--

Does this mean the chemo is not working or not working for his omentum? We are scheduled (hopefully) for CRS possibly in July if the cancer is contained.

Anyone have any insight?

Comments

• Capox Dude
    Capox Dude Member Posts: 122 Member

As it could mean anything from the cancer not responding - to the cancer not spreading, but your second CT was in a better machine with better definition - it is really best for anyone here not to interpret a CT scan unless we were a trained radiologist. Which we aren’t. In any event, hoping for the best for you and the hubs.

• kblairj

Thank you for posing the possibilities. It helps me process. I don’t mean for anyone here to interpret. 😊

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

The written interpretations of CT scans were a continual source of frustration for me. I eventually stopped reading them before I met with the oncologist. That reduced my anxiety considerably.

• kblairj
  • Capox Dude
    Capox Dude Member Posts: 122 Member

I’ve been told four times that my colon cancer spread to my lungs. Several bronchoscopies later they still have not found it. I was a week away from surgery to take out the mets spread to my liver, when a biopsy told them they should wait. That was almost 4 years ago and it looks like my liver does not have cancer. This was at MD Anderson and so a facility that would not schedule the original liver surgery if they didn’t think I needed it

Which is all to say that we never know the validity of a test or an opinion in a vacuum. A misread or misdiagnosis might be good news - and unfortunately sometimes bad news, but Sandia is exactly correct that you can’t let yourself become too concerned because of a single scan report. My oncologist says I have no evidence of disease for this month anyway, and told me that on the same day my CT scan interpretation said that I likely have Mets in my lungs. Just hope for the best and keep fighting.

• kblairj

Just wanted to update everyone. Sent image CD to MSKCC who are collaborating with our oncologist in our home state. No evidence of any spread and no increase in omentum, so it’s stable and no spread. Good news and still on track for CRS. Thanks so much for your input and for being the voices of reason. We are new to this journey and your support is much appreciated.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
  • Angie37
    Angie37 Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi, what is CRS? and how can your husband originaly have lymph involvement and not anymore? i am asking because my husband is living exactly the same thing right now..

Thanks!

• kblairj

Hi and I’m so sorry you are also having to navigating this journey. My husband had an emergency colon resection in which the affected lymph nodes (loco-regional) were removed. His original oncologist said palliative treatment only (chemo for life) but we got a second opinión at MSKCC and they believe he can benefit from CRS (cytoreductive surgery) where they will remove his omentum with possible curative intent as long as there is no spread beyond that, which seems to be the case so far. I’m new to this and there are many more knowledgeable people on this forum who have also guided me. Best of luck to your husband and to you.