Triple Negative Breast Cancer

lovelifeB
lovelifeB Member Posts: 1 Member
edited March 20 in Breast Cancer #1

I have recently been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer-grade 3.  I am presently waiting on a genetic test to come back and expect the results today or tomrorow.  If my test is negative from what I understand I can choose to have a lumpectomy with six weeks of radiation or a mastectomy.  Chemo was not discussed with me yet and it looks like that is something that I will need to help fight off a possible reoccurence.  My tumor was a little over a centimeter when I was diagnosed in early July.  Am I scared--you bet I am, but I am ready to get on with the POA.  Any advice on lumpectomy vs mastectomy for triple negative?

Comments

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    So Sorry to Welcome you

to this site, no one wants to be here. However, you will find knowledgeable caring BC survivors to help you on your path. Just remember that we can all share our experiences, but every person is different and for the most part, we are not medical experts, so always check with your doctors.

That being said, I was diagnosed at 58 with TNBC, Stage 1, Grade 3, No Nodes. I've had 2 lumpectomies (2nd to get clean margins), 6 rounds of chemo (T/C) and 33 radiation. My genetic testing came back negative. The very aggressive treatment was to give me the best chance at not having a recurrance. I am approaching my 5 year cancerversary on 8/19/15...been holding my breath pretty much the entire time and am just starting to ease into relaxing about the whole thing. My onc has said that while very aggressive, with TN, the recurrance chance goes down dramatically after the first 3 years so he wanted to throw everything he could at the disease in the beginning. My surgeon told me that the stats for survival were the same for mastectomy vs. lumpectomy with radiation. She also recommended lumpectomy rather that have the longer recovery, more invasive surgery. And even with mastectomy, not all breast tissue is removed so while it lesses chance of recurrance, that is still a possiblility. 

You didn't mention your Stage which will also impact your treatment plan.

My advice is to find a team of doctors (surgeon, oncologist, radiologist) that you trust. Get 2nd opinions if you feel unsure and then go with your gut.

Good luck to you.

JoAnn

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    hugs

hugs

• DanielleWeeks
    DanielleWeeks Member Posts: 1 Member

hugs

hugs

Triple negative breast cancer

Triple negative breast cancer is an aggressive subtype of breast cancer. Doctors are likely to determine receptors such as estrogen, progesterone, and HER2 to target treatments accordingly. Generally triple negative breast cancer does not react to standard breast cancer treatment, however, in some cases chemotherapy become its primary treatment option.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member

Triple negative breast cancer

Triple negative breast cancer is an aggressive subtype of breast cancer. Doctors are likely to determine receptors such as estrogen, progesterone, and HER2 to target treatments accordingly. Generally triple negative breast cancer does not react to standard breast cancer treatment, however, in some cases chemotherapy become its primary treatment option.

Triple Negative Stage 3B * That's Me *

I decided to do the Lumpectomy/chemo/radiation Route....   that was in 2002 and 2003....and I am still here.   Prayers for you for Good Decisions and for Strength & Courage.   Big Pink Hug too....   Glo

• Ceceliamims
    Ceceliamims Member Posts: 7 Member

Any side effects linger on after treatment?

• marycay
    marycay Member Posts: 2 Member

Just wanted to let you know, with Triple Negative, they now use immunotherapy to shrink the lumps. I had 2 lumps pretty close to each other 4 & 3 cm. after 12 weeks of chemo/keytruda the lumps disappeared. The doctors were amazed.

After 12 weeks of chemo/immuno, went thru lumpectomy and will be doing radiation for 5 weeks but Im still here

Maybe talk to your doctors about the immunotherapy with chemo. It worked for me

• marycay
    marycay Member Posts: 2 Member

One ore note from above. I was suppose to have the mastectomy but because the Keytruda strunk the tumors I only had to do a lump. Anyway good luck. I would definitely check on the immunotherapy. Everyone is different i realize but it cant hurt

• torybarnard
    torybarnard Member Posts: 1 *

This is such a heart-breaking news. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

• tsrichter1
    tsrichter1 Member Posts: 3 Member

I have TNBC diagnosed in October 2022. I have started 2/12 rounds of chemo, them double mastectomy. Chemo is causing stomach issues last couple days, feels like stomach will explode

found this site for support

• anne333
    anne333 Member Posts: 13 Member

I was diagnosed with Triple Negative in January. I had 12 rounds scheduled of taxol/carboplatin/pembro (immunotherapy). The doctor had to remove the carboplatin because it was depleting my white blood count too much. Then I had a dbl mastectomy and am currently halfway through radiation and still doing immunotherapy every 3 weeks until I will have been on it a year. I echo what someone said above about throwing everything at it. My tumors were gone and I achieved a PCR (pathologic complete response) at time of surgery. Everyone is different of course but wanted to share my treatment plan in case it helps anything. I'm very happy with my outcome.

• Ceceliamims

Thank you for sharing.

Started treatment in August 2022 for TNBC .

Recently, I have developed a blood clot. It is not know if the clot was caused by the treatment or the from port in my vein. Anyone else experienced a blood clot?

• Clemens4
    Clemens4 Member Posts: 1 Member

Fellow Breast Cancer Friends,

Thank you for sharing your hope and your experiences. I just started once-a-week chemo on 6 December for Triple Negative Breast Cancer (Taxol/Carboplatin & Keytruda (immunotherapy every 21 days) . I have 12 total treatments in Part 1. I'm not looking at Part 2 because it won't start until late February or early March, and will last two months. I will then have breast surgery and then radiation. It's a long journey, but I am hopeful. My faith is strong, as are my relationships with family and friends, who are supporting me with tender loving care. Thank you, American Cancer Society, for giving me a safe place to listen and learn from others during my breast cancer treatment. The terror I felt at my diagnosis no longer has power over me.

With blessings of hope and peace to all you beautiful and brave women! PINK POWER UNITE!!

Lisa

• Ceceliamims

Good luck on your journey.

Remembet ginger is you friend, rest and please stay positive, don't search Google on cancer and only research for foods that fight cancer and supports the treatment.

You got this!!!

• Ceceliamims

• thelazyaranch4
    thelazyaranch4 Member Posts: 35 Member

Lisa,

I was diagnosed in April with triple negative IDC, positive nodes with the same chemo cocktail as you.

I have completed 10 weekly taxol / carbo, 6 rounds of keytruda, lumpectomy, two of four rounds of a/c and will need at least 20 rounds of radiation. Extreme fatigue has been an issue along with nausea and what I believe is brain fog. I am currently on a chemo hold until after my echocardiogram this Thursday.

It has definitely been a long hard bumpy road but trying to stay positive and strong:) I have a wonderful loving supportive family behind, next to and in front of me!!

I am here for you if you need anything feel free to message me anytime!!

stay strong pink sister:)

Karen

• tsrichter1
    tsrichter1 Member Posts: 3 Member

I was diagnosed in October. I have cirrhosis so cannot due immunotherapy. I have researched treatment options and my doctors all agree chemo and double mastectomy is the correct treatment for me. Reduced chance of reoccurring cancer with this.

chemo is weekly and rough but I have a very strong supportive family and boyfriend as well as close friends. My boys sit through each treatment with me: sitting by my side the entire day.

I am thankful for this venue to see how others are getting through their journey. we all need each others support. Bless you all for sharing your journey

• anne333
    anne333 Member Posts: 13 Member

Lisa,

I did the exact same regimen and am almost done with radiation. It has been a really long journey but I am grateful for the success that I've had with these drugs and this regimen. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I've achieved PCR, Pathologic Complete Response. Best of luck to you!

• Ceceliamims

The smaller lumps are gone, the large lump shrunk to be extremely small. We are reducing the treatment to just ketruda every 3-weeks. Looking forward to cancer free life and moving to sustaining health, exercise, cancer filtering foods and herbs.

Hope and hugs to everyone. We must always remain positive and fight.

• RPStumpf
    RPStumpf Member Posts: 16 Member

Similar regimen for TNBC, complete pathologic response! Continuing keytruda into July. Then I am done! It is hard, but the regimen is worth it. When I was diagnosed just over a year ago, I thought triple negative breast cancer was a death sentence (lesson learned: don't randomly google your disease!!) but treatments improve all the time. Hang in there, hang on to hope, and lean into your faith! Mine has been such a lifeline and a support.