Radiation fatigue

thelazyaranch4
thelazyaranch4 Member Posts: 35 Member
edited May 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Has anyone experienced extreme fatigue after full breast and node radiation? I am currently two weeks post radiation and still extremely fatigued. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Tamiann
    Tamiann Member Posts: 23 Member

Hi, thelazyaranch4!

Yes - I was very fatigued after my radiation. My last treatment was 2/21/23 and I finally started feeling my energy start to return last week - around 4/3/23. It's not 100% yet, but I would say I feel about 75% of normal. I also had a moderate-to-severe (severe to me, moderate to the Doc's) skin reaction which is - finally - feeling normal again.

My best advice is to allow yourself to rest, don't expect too much from yourself, and when you feel up to it and the weather is nice enough, to go for short, slow walks, even if you are tired. The walks really helped me feel better, and even though it didn't take the fatigue away, it felt great to be outside in the fresh air. The mental benefits are as necessary as the physical benefits, which is also a plus from walking.

Hang in there... we'll get through this!!

• thelazyaranch4
    thelazyaranch4 Member Posts: 35 Member

Hi tamiann,

thank you for sharing your experience and advice! Congrats to you on feeling better even if it isn’t 100% at least it’s a huge step in the right direction!! I’m sure 100% is right around the corner for you🎉

I have been resting a lot and the weather is finally decent enough to get out and enjoy the fresh spring air💗 unless it is snowing or raining I try to get out each day and walk. I went on a short shopping trip with a friend yesterday and had to cut it short because my brain and body just shut right down. I have been afraid that it is just me with the fatigue. A few friends told me that radiation is a breeze…. Not so much for me at all!! The fatigue hit HARD after the third treatment. My last treatment was march 23 and I’ve felt very very little improvement. I am so eager to feel better and move on with my energetic life!!

• Tamiann
    Tamiann Member Posts: 23 Member

You will get there! If you follow the same road that I did, you have a couple more weeks and you'll start feeling more like yourself. 😁 Take it slow, and enjoy what you can do and it will gradually get better. ❤️

• HUSIT
    HUSIT Member Posts: 4 Member

my best wishes for your recovery.

Can anyone help with information as my mom (Age 78 yrs) has been operated twice for retropertioneal leiomyosarcoma. In 2022 and April2023. (R0 resection) (coloctomy) Now doctor have advised to start radiation but also said not to expect fully riddence of cancer. The radiation will just prolong the recurrance. Also took second opinion where I was told that see if my mother can tolerate radiation (radiation dose is fractionated for25 days ) Now I am in dilemma though she is fit for her age dont know if she can tolerate the radiation and side effects. Radiation technic will be image guided Radio therapy or VMAT. Kindly give opinion who has gone through such radiation and experience of the same.

thanks and regards.

• DebiF
    DebiF Member Posts: 2 Member

I had 33 radiation treatments following my lumpectomy and axillary dissection in 1993 (and am still around to talk about it!), with the last eight treatments targeted specifically to the surgical site in my breast. Though it sounds like I had far less radiation exposure than you, I still remember being exhausted for about six months afterward. I was 41. Fatigue is to be expected, so you are normal.

• HUSIT

Thanks for the reply Debif.

i am in dilemma as my mom is 78 years of age and the area of the radiation involves intestine. bladder and probably colon. Though The radiation techincs is VMAT or IGRT which some says expose less radiation to surrounding orngas than retroperitonal region.

regards

• Bearsy72
    Bearsy72 Member Posts: 10 Member

My last Radiation Treatment was March 3 , 2021 and I’m still having Severe All Over body pain & Extreme Exhaustion. I Posted about this as well.

• HUSIT

Thanks for the reply Bearsy72. Apppreciate the feedback very much. My mother being old is what Me and my family have concerns. Doctors has said that she may have side effects like few drops of blood in urine. Intestinal health will be compromised. Nausea, diarrhea fatigue etc. The severity will depend on how her body reacts. so side effects will be minor, moderate to severe. And cant be predited. So I am evaluating the efficacy of radiation This being leiomysarcoma Doctors said 30 % chances that recurrance may not occure or will lately occure. if Someone or their family member who is old and has taken radiation at abdomen and pelvic region can post what to expect about side effects will be usefull.

Thanks

• Bearsy72

After I finished my Radiation my Dr told me that because I had Rad Treatments the Cancer will come back. He said it Changes every Cell so the Cancer Comes Back.

• Bearsy72

it was my Radiation Oncologist that told me that. He is a Retired Air force Cancer Doctor.

• HUSIT

Yes thats what our doctor also told. radiation might cause secondary cancer. OR the primary cancer may recurre. He also told us the secondary cancer usually comes late down the years. I wish and pray you are cured of your cancer and live a healthy good life. I would personally recommend lifestyle changes meaning healthy foods, exercise and mental peace.

regards