prostrate cancer

12tugod
12tugod Member Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2023 in Prostate Cancer #1

2021 I was diagnosed with a rising PSA 5.0. The DR right of the bat recommended a MRI which revealed suspicious legions then onward to biopsy. The biopsy noted an agressive legion Gleason 8 along with 2 other gleason 6 on left side. In addition, 3 other gleasons 6 on right side. . I chose the HIFU option on the left side. fast forward, after a 6 month follow up biopsy, the left side was clear but the right revealed 4 gleason 6s and 1 gleason 7 (3/4). The DR is recommending (1) prostrate removal, (2) radiation. I am choosing active surveillance. My research says the gleason 3/4

is a group 2 VS 4/3 is a group 3. I appreciate any responses or advice on this issue.

PS: HIFU is expensive as Heck. (So is my life and well being)

Comments

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 374 Member

Just curious. Did you have any side effects from the HIFU treatment? And currently what is your PSA? I had a RP in March of 2018. Currently, my PSA is < .04ng/ml. I am continent. I am intimate with my wife. Best of luck on your journey.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 238 Member

Hi @12tugod sorry you find yourself here.

Youre playing a risky game for sure. Some questions to help understand what’s going on.

After your HIFU did you have another MRI? Doesn’t sound like it.

On the right side, was the 3/4 found where the MRI had previously identified lesions? Was this biopsy a different sampling approach? More samples?

What percentage of the 3/4 was graded 4?

How did the HIFU go? Catheter in for a week?

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 381 Member

I had 3+4 results from my biopsy. I had a prostatectomy and thought that I was finished with PCa. However, I had a 4+3 after my prostate was removed and analyzed, and a still detectable PSA. I had six months of hormone therapy and IMRT radiation to the prostate bed, and again thought that I was finished with PCa.

Since then, I had one recurrence a decade later and SRBT radiation therapy, in my left inferior pubis ramus (local metastasis), and I've just come off a two year hormone therapy cocktail. I'm hoping to remain cancer undetectable for as long as possible.

No two prostate cancer cases are exactly alike, but I strongly recommend that you get at least one additional opinion from a "Medical Oncologist", before you make your final decision regarding next steps (or no next steps).

Yes, long life and well being are important, for sure, but I suggest that you not ignore the presence of 3+4 PCa.

• 12tugod

No side effects from HIFU. Only the left side revealed gleason 8. Left side is clear of cancer. I should have had full Prostrate HIFU. Dang 1 week with cath was the worse for me. First time in my life with cath.

• 12tugod

The DR says 6 months after HIFU, it is protocal to get a MRI and a biopsy. The MRI did not reveal any warnings (strange), but the biopsy did. By the way, today I had another PSA. the result went up from 1.970 (11/2022) to 3.570 (04/2023) Got me thinking again. The 4 was 10%. Cath was terrible, never experienced that before.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 238 Member

That last PSA jump is a fairly quick doubling rate, unfortunately.

Im assuming your G8 was 4+4 and not 5+3, correct?

I would at a minimum want another PSA in 3 months.

My gut feeling is you will have to come off AS in the not too far future. Maybe immediately.

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 374 Member

Still curious. What is your current PSA? And by the way, if you think the catheter was bad, you better hope you do not get a cystoscopy. For me, that was one of the most memorable moments in my life.

• 12tugod

HIFU ablated GS 8 (5+3) Target left 40%

GS 8 (3+5) LLM 50%

GS 6 LLA 15%, Target right 5%.

Left side all clear.

I am dealing with the right side now. Tough.

My next follow-up with DR is in August 2023.

What I am seeing from others is the side affects after what other methods they choose. Now I feel so normal other than mental worrying.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 999 Member

Hi,

I’m curious, why not HIFU on the right side. Seems like it worked for you on the left side.

Dave 3+4

• 12tugod

According to the DR at the time the legions on the right side was deemed safe zone meaning gleason 3/3 not sirous. But you have a good point that I need to address with him on next visit.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    edited April 2023 #12

12tugod,

I am stunned that any oncologist would put you on A/S, with your clinical history. None of our resident lay experts on A/S have chimed in yet (whom I noticed), but I doubt you meet Best Practices A/S qualifications. I am the first to admit that I am not well versed in A/S, but I believe that JUST a Gleason of 8 would disqualify in most protocols. The fact that your more recent biopsy showed only a Gleason of 6 does not by any means prove that no Gleason 8 remains.

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 141 Member

If HIFU is very expensive, would it have cost the same to do the entire prostate vs. half? If you need a second round for the other side, are you paying again? Haven't seen too many that have had this treatment.

Biopsies tell you that you do have cancer, not 100% that you don't. The needle can miss the cancer, it's only a small sampling of the gland. After a surgery, the entire prostate can be evaluated. Not uncommon for the pathology to change.

What did you PSA do after HIFU?

• ASAdvocate
    ASAdvocate Member Posts: 193 Member

Yes, technically, you may be within the AUA guidelines to do AS with only one core having ten percent of Gleason 4 pattern. But, the number of positive cores would sway me to agree with the others that you are taking some risk, and may not be on AS for long.

• 12tugod

HIFU Feb 1 2022/ PSA's:

05/06/2022 - 2.100 08/09/2022 - 1.580 11/08/2022 - 1.970 4/23/2023 3.570

• 12tugod

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,308 Member

Advice from the American Urological Association:

1. Clinicians should inform patients with intermediate-risk prostate cancer considering whole gland or focal ablation that there are a lack of high-quality data comparing ablation outcomes to radiation therapy, surgery, and active surveillance. (Expert Opinion)

Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer: AUA/ASTRO Guideline (2022) - American Urological Association (auanet.org)

• 12tugod

Thanks for additional info. Focal ablation (HIFU) worked for me on the left side without all to completions that others are dealing with.

• 12tugod

• 12tugod

I had that following MRI results on Dec 9 2022:

1. No lesions are seen suspicious for clinically significant prostate cancer

2. Post ablation changes in the left prostate gland with left shift of the prostatic urethra.

PI-RADS CLASSIFICATION (Probability of a clinically significant cancer)

1 - Very low (highly unlikely)

2 - Low (unlikely)

3 - Indeterminate (equivocal)

4 - High (likely)

5 - Very high (highly likely)

Narrative

PROCEDURE: Enhanced , Unenhanced MRI Pelvis

CLINICAL INDICATION: prostate cancer

TECHNIQUE: Using a body phased array coil small field-of-view imaging of the prostate was performed using the following sequences; [axial T1-weighted, axial T2-weighted, sagittal T2-weighted, coronal T2-weighted, diffusion-weighted]. Axial T1-weighted

images [with fat suppression] through the prostate were obtained before and [dynamically] after the intravenous administration of IV contrast.

Using a large field-of-view, the entire pelvis to the level of the aortic bifurcation was imaged with the following sequences fat suppressed T2-weighted, Axial T1-weighted images ]

Postprocessing images with DynaCAD software were obtained and submitted for analysis.

COMPARISON: Prostate MRI from 11/12/2021.

PSA level: 1.4 ng/ mL in 8/2022.

FINDINGS:

Prostate Size: 3.5 x 2.4 x 4.1 cm.

Volume: 17.9

PSA density 0.07 ng/mL/cm3

TRANSITION ZONE:

* T2 images demonstrate heterogeneous multinodular appearance, without evidence of suspicious nodules.

Post ablation changes in the transition zone with left shift of the prostatic urethra.

PERIPHERAL ZONE :

No focal lesion of low signal intensity in T2 weighted images, restricted diffusion or focal enhancement in the peripheral zone

Post ablation changes in the left peripheral zone.

Extraprostatic extension N/A

Seminal vesicles: Normal serpiginous appearance without thickening of the walls, abnormal restriction or enhancement

Bladder: underdistended bladder, limiting the evaluation of its walls.

Lymphadenopathy: No significant lymphadenopathy by size criteria.

Bones: No suspicious osseous lesions.

Other: None

TRUSS BIOPSY on FEB 13, 2023 finding multiple 3/3's and one 3/4.

I am confused. help me with advice. How can this be?

• 12tugod