It's been 10 years for me this month...

Kathryn in Houston
Kathryn in Houston Member Posts: 20 Member
edited April 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I was diagnosed with HPV tonsil cancer 10 yrs. ago this month. I just want to encourage all of you that you can make it. Has it been challenging? Yes, of course with the dry mouth. The fear of dating someone new. Just the fear in general but I want you to know you can make it through. Kick the fear to the curb. I live alone and went through all of this mostly alone. Yes I remember thinking if I didn't get some relief from the treatment symptoms that I was going to lose it. My advice is this. Stay busy! Do not sit around the house with nothing to do and just think about it. Volunteer for the less fortunate. That alone will change your whole outlook. No energy? Exercise! I do pilates 3 times a week and it has changed me. I want to teach it now. I will be honest. It did take about 5 yrs. to feel my new normal but it did arrive. Don't give up and don't give in to this. Life is way to short for that. Be an example to others.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,260 Member

Kathryn, thanks for checking in and giving us an update on how well you are doing. Thank you also for the inspiring words to let others know they can make it, they can do this. Also wise advice about staying busy and helping others and don't just sit around the house find something to do. I also found it helpful to deepen my trust in God and pray a lot because prayer is powerful. I am so glad that you are doing well.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care, God Bless-Russ