I'm new

DreamFinder
DreamFinder Member Posts: 11 Member
edited May 2023 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hi, I'm new here. My name is Nancy and I am having my rt kidney out on May 3rd. Dx of 3 cm mass "consistent with renal cell carcinoma." The location is right by the blood supply so a partial is not feasible.

I'm looking for camaraderie. All of the local groups meet only once a month, and I need contact with people who have BTDT sooner rather than later.

Nancy / DreamFinder

Comments

• fallonboy
    fallonboy Member Posts: 46 Member

Hello

I had transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) in the right kidney pelvis. My turmor was/is less common than yours. The kidney was removed November 2022 along with the ureter and some of the bladder cuff. The surgery was performed with da Vinci robot.

TCC can reoccur so I get tests every 3 month for 2 years then every 6 months.

My GFR WAS 50 before and now is 33. I had to change my diet.

The operation was no big deal. They kept me overnight. I was able to drive after one week.

My recent CT and cytology w/ FISH was all negative.

GoodLuck on you.

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member

Hi Nancy. Sorry you had to join us. Is your surgery going to be laparoscopic or open?

• DreamFinder

My surgery will be robotic laparoscopic. I assume that one incision will have to be bigger than the others to actually get the kidney out, though, right?

• fallonboy

Yes. My biggest is just above the belly button. Actually, it’s not big at all….approx 1 inch.

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 614 Member

Hi Dreamfinder, welcome to the club no one wants to join. There are so many of us living life with one kidney here. It's so scary but we're here when you need to vent or ask questions. The size of the mass is pretty small, so that's good. I had an open nephrectomy with some complications so I was in hospital for a little longer. I had 2 weeks off work, should have taken 3, but it was a good recovery. Walking as soon as possible helped a lot. Prayers are with you.

• DreamFinder

Thank you! I don't know my GFR (but I think I can look it up). They did say that my kidney function is normal in both. All blood work is good (some controlled with meds).

• DreamFinder

Thank you Deanie0926.

I will be between jobs, so I can take as long as needed. I had a summer job at a camp lined up, but I had to back out of that since it would be much too physical. I currently support people doing their own taxes on a well known website. My last day is 4/18. I'll probably start looking after a week or 2.

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member

Welcome Dreamfinder-

Sorry you had to join us, but it's a great group here. We know what you're going through, so we know you're gonna do great. We're here if you have questions or concerns or just need to vent.

Everyone's experience is different, but if you want to read about my laparoscopic radical nephrectomy, it's here- https://csn.cancer.org/node/318416

We're with you! You've got this!

• Sasa29
    Sasa29 Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi all,

I’m new here also but not new to RCC. I was diagnosed in August of 2021 with a 6.4cm tumor in my kidney with Mets to lungs, adrenals and lymphs. Dreamfinder, hang in there. It’s so incredibly scary but they’ve made great strides in very recent years. I had immunotherapy infusions monthly with a daily chemo pill and was in complete remission within 12 months! It was a rough road but worthwhile. My doc told me on day one “there is every reason to have hope, and it’s not false hope”. I’m also in a clinical trial so I’m watched like a lab rat!!

• Kimber44
    Kimber44 Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi Dreamfinder,

I am also new to the group. I had a nephrectomy on my right kidney (the tumor was the size of the actual kidney) in July of 2019. Also had Colon Cancer completely different cancer and had part of my colon removed at the same time. It was a VERY long surgery. It was robotic laparoscopic with a few small incisions and a larger one just above my pubic bone. It has metastasized to my liver and we are working on that (and winning) I take a chemo pill every day. There is a lot more information I could put on here, but this is the just of it. If you would like to talk or need a shoulder I am here.

Take Care and Have Faith!!

• DreamFinder

Thanks, eug91. I'll take a look at it. I like ready other people's stories. They help me feel prepared for different outcomes and feelings.

Nancy

• DreamFinder

Sasa,

It's good to hear you are in remission!

I was in the clinical trial for Pfizer's covid vaccine, so I understand the lab rat reference. 😁

• DreamFinder

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

Sometimes cancer and surgery and being between jobs is all I can think about. Other times I can function fairly normally. I'm tired all of the time, even when I get enough sleep (which I didn't last night). My nap this afternoon helped.

Happy Easter for those who celebrate it!

Nancy

• droopy01
    droopy01 Member Posts: 14 Member

Sorry that you have this issue but hope that you will get a good result. I had a robotic partial about 18 months ago. I am comparing it to an open intestinal surgery about 14 years ago. The robotic procedure was much easier. I hope you will have the same or better experience. Good luck.

• DreamFinder

Tomorrow is prep day. I chose chocolate chip cookies for my last solid food until after surgery.

• fallonboy

Good luck with the neph. With me, they insisted on me taking some pain pills home, but I never needed them.

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member

You're gonna do great! We're with you!

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member

Best wishes for a really dull and uneventful surgery, along with a recovery that isn’t harsh.

• DreamFinder

Surgery went well. I'm in a regular room. Pain meds work, and I got to order solid food for supper. They also were able to leave my adrenal gland, which I assume is good. Expected discharge is Friday.

Thanks for your support!!!

• fallonboy

Very nice. Yes leaving the adrenal is good.

The pathology should be all positive.

I’m happy for you.