Anxious about my mom

GOG70
GOG70 Member Posts: 6 Member

Hey everyone,

First of all I wanna say thank you to all the brave women here, during the past few days I’ve been gathering so much useful information from this board.

Last week my mom experienced vaginal bleeding, she is 52 and her last period was about 6 years ago. She had some tests and they showed her endometrium is 9mm thick so the doctor said she should have a biopsy done to rule out either endometrial hyperplasia or cancer.

I am very scared and anxious waiting for the biopsy which should be done this or next week. What are the chances of it being cancer? Also if it’s cancer, would it mean it’s at the early stages considering she just experienced the bleeding or is that unrelated?

I know nobody can tell me for sure what’s happening, I just thought maybe someone here has had a similar experience that could share with me.

Also english isn’t my first language and I’m not from the US so I’m sorry if I don’t know the technical terms, I’m still trying to learn about this.

Comments

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member

Gog70,

Welcome on behalf of your mother. First of all, you have come to the right place. Most of us experienced what your mother and you are going through now. Most post-menopausal bleeding is not cancer, but should be checked out.

First question, is she getting a biopsy or is she having hysteroscopy (a procedure similar to a colonoscopy using a lighted scope to visualize and taking samples for the biopsy)? The reason it is important is that a hysteroscopy allows a much better visualization for biopsy, where an in office biopsy can miss cells. I had a hysteroscopy under light sedation. I know that different countries have different protocols they follow to get a diagnosis but you could ask about that.

Your mother's age, at 52, is on her side. It is unlikely she has cancer but you must prepare yourself for that if the biopsy is positive. The pathologist determines if there are cancer cells present, but cannot tell you the stage. Post menopausal bleeding can be caused by many things other than cancer, like polyps or fibroids, or even a hormone imbalance.

We all remember our early days trying to get a diagnosis and know how difficult that can be. Ask a lot of questions of her doctor, (I wrote them down) continue to read our archives as there is a wealth of information to help you. Don't put the cart before the horse, try not to worry until you get confirmation of what is wrong.

We are here for you, let us know what her results are.

xxoo

Denise

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member

Gog70, such great information from Denise. Try to take a breath. Let us know how the biopsy, whatever format she ends up having, and know that there are lots of shoulders here to lean on. Don't get too far ahead of yourself.

• GOG70

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Your message made me feel less alone and more confident that things will be ok.

She has to see her gynecologist tomorrow so I have told her to write down all the questions she has.

I’ll let you all know how things go!

• GOG70
  • GOG70

Just an update, I’m kind of confused now.

My mom had to go see a gynecologist again due to a problem with her insurance (long story) and they did all the tests again. The doctor did an ultrasound which looked normal to her and additionally she performed a Pap smear (apparently they couldn't do it before because she was still bleeding)

The ultrasound also showed her endometrium was now even closer to normal and the bleeding has stopped.

My mom asked the doctor why a pap smear and not a biopsy and she said she would only need a biopsy if the pap smear came back abnormal.

She got the pap smear results today and it was negative. But now I’m confused because as far as I know pap smears don’t detect endometrial cancer right? So I don’t understand the doctor’s logic.

she has to see the doctor tomorrow to discuss the pap results so I’m trying to gather as much information to ask the doctor.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 962 Member

Hi GOG70, Well, insurance does have it rules. Since your mothers gynecologist repeated all the tests and got "more normal" results, maybe insurance won't pay for a endometrial biopsy. I would ask the exact thickness of the endometrial lining on the second US. AND I would ask if a cervical PAP smear rules out endometrial cancer (it doesn't). Having a normal PAP smear is unrelated to the presence of endometrial cancer, but depending on your mothers insurance, the coverage may not be there for normal tests. You don't mention your country, but different countries have different protocols.

• NoTimeForCancer

I would just add to what Forherself said that perhaps your mother can call the insurance company and talk to them directly. The PAP is not the test to detect endometrial cancer. I know it can be a bit of back and forth, but she might want to consider having questions lined up.

• GOG70

Thank you for your replies.

My mother ended up having a D&C last Wednesday. Just waiting for the results of that, we’ll know next friday.

She’s very nervous and we’re definitely going through a difficult time waiting for these results but staying positive that everything will be fine. I keep reminding myself that there’s a big chance it’s not cancer.

I will update you when we get the results.

• NoTimeForCancer

GOG70, glad to hear she had the D&C. As you both are finding, waiting is the hardest part. All I can suggest is to do something special together to pass the time and try not to talk about this. We all look forward to hearing the results and are here at the ready if need be.

• GOG70

Just stopping by to update you all, the results were negative, the doctor said everything is ok.

I want to thank you all for your help and taking the time to reply. I have learnt a lot and the most important thing about this is that my mom will be more vigilant about her health.

Once again thank you, you all are so brave.

• NoTimeForCancer

Great news! thank you for letting us all know.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member

I’m so happy for you.

• lbeck100
    lbeck100 Member Posts: 17 Member

Oh my - a pap doesn’t show cancer neither does a colposcopy - I had both - I’m 51 and they were normal - they kept saying it was hormones but finally after 18 mos of bleeding they did the endometrial biopsy and it is cancer - but this kind of cancer is usually very treatable with hysterectomy or that’s what everyone os telling me -

• lbeck100
    lbeck100 Member Posts: 17 Member