Radiation for recurring endometriol ovarian cancer

mauigirl23
mauigirl23 Member Posts: 7 Member
edited February 2023 in Ovarian Cancer #1

In Dec 2018 I had a complete hysterectomy for endometriol ovarian cancer, and 6 rounds of chemo in 2019. Happily I was in complete remission. Unfortunately in 2022, a small tumor was found in my groin in front of my colon. I just finished 6 rounds of chemo, doxil was really hard on my body. Surgery is not an option, and will be having radiation next. What can I expect to feel from radiation? I was told it would be 15 minutes a day for 2 weeks. The radiation oncologist said I could go to work after each treatment. Will I feel okay to do this?

Comments

• mauigirl23

Hi, this is Mauigirl2023, I forgot to add to my post above. My last chemo was on 02/09/2023 and my radiation will be soon. I really would appreciate feedback on what I can expect to feel from radiation. I was also told I would need to use a dilator.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,359 Member
    edited February 2023 #3

Hello mauigirl23, I am a visitor from the Uterine page here on CSN. I had both external and brachy (internal) radiation.

Radiation doesn't hurt it just made me extremely TIRED. I would get home and just fall over on the couch. I deduced since I was getting radiation in the area (pelvis) that generates a lot of red blood cells that that is why. You will want to look at what you eat and try to find foods that have protein, but if the location you are going to has a dietician that specializes in cancer patients I would highly recommend this.

The dilators aren't in play until after you finish your treatment - it sounds like you are having internal / brachytherapy radiation. The treatment can cause vaginal stenosis. They make different size dilators, and they are hard, plastic, candlestick looking things. I started with a medium, eventually working up to a large, but I did have to work it. I know they will tell you 10 min three times a week - but it was recommended to me by a lovely lady on these pages to do it everyday for 10 min. I think that really helped and after 10 years I find I really don't have to do it everyday.

For me, it was hard, it was like it hit a spot it couldn't get past but you have to keep trying. I promise you dear.

Radiation really is a pop in, get the treatment and you go. You can go back to work. I only had three brachy (25 external) and since it sounds like you will have more brachy ask how you can minimize irritation to your bladder. You are looking not to swap out one issue with bladder issues if possible.

• mauigirl23

Hi No Time for Cancer,

I received the results back from my Pet Scan, and it made me sad. The tumor in my groin shrank a little, but it is still trying to grow. There is also something on my T6 spine now, that looks suspicious, the metastasize word was used, which is definitely not a good thing. I have my radiation consult tomorrow. I think my radiation is going to be external.

• NoTimeForCancer

oh mauigirl, first I would suggest you try to take a breath. It is all so overwhelming. I'm sorry I can't remember if they tested your sampling for any 'defects'. What I mean by that is very molecular and some cancer responds to some of the immunotherapy drugs that display p53 or dMMR. Your doctors will know what that means and ask them if there are any clinical trials out there.

Hugs my dear. I know you saw results that are not good, but keep fighting because you are a statistic of one. hugs.

• mauigirl23

Hi No Time for Cancer, Thank you for responding, as I have no one to talk to who understands. My radiation consult wasn't very encouraging. 5 weeks of daily radiation in my groin on a tumor that is actively still trying to grow, then my spine, which they ordered a MRI on. He said radiation is not a cure because it only takes care of a specific spot, while the cancer cells run rampant through my blood with the potential of causing new tumors to randomly pop up. He said he spoke to my oncologist and he said drug therapy would be better, but my oncologist said I am not responding to chemo and my side effects are awful. I feel like he is giving up on me. I'm not ready to give up, I still want to fight the monsters inside of me! My neurologist mentioned PD antibody therapy that works well for some cancers, so I just emailed my oncologist to ask him if there is something like it that would work for my kind of cancer. I hope to hear something positive from him next week.

I hope you are doing well. My son calls us warriors, and told me the other night that I never give up, that I have to keep fighting. He is my champion, that holds me together. Aloha from Maui.

• NoTimeForCancer

mauigirl, there are gyn cancers that don't respond to chemo but to respond to immunotherapy - please ask if they tested you to see if you have any of the mismatch repair defects for p53. Please keep pushing for answers and if you have to ask if there is someone different who can help you.

Ah, your son is right that we are warriors, but none of us fight alone. We need the love of family and friends as we battle.

• mauigirl23

Thanks for the heads up.