Just saying HI!

donna_lee
donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
edited May 2023 in Kidney Cancer #1

I haven't been here for a while, but haven't forgotten you. I think I joined in 2010 or 11.

In case you remember me, I was Dx'd with Stage 4 renal cell carcinoma in 2006, had surgery to remove R. Kidney, nodes underneath it (3 of 11 +), left lobe of my liver (with + tumor) , multiple biopsies of spots in the right lobe while under anesthesia, my gallblader and a congenitally deformed hepatic duct. Recovery was a witch in the first few weeks, as I also developed pancreatitis. By 6 weeks I was driving myself to the pool to start exercise. (June 2006)

Went to visit relatives in Alabama in Feb. 2007, fell/tripped on a high curb in Charleston, SC and broke Tib/Fib in 3 places while dislocating my Left foot a sideways position. Reposition my foot, fly to the west coast and drive 5 hours to get home, see Dr. next day, have surgery following Friday. In a walking boot after 6 weeks; but walking with crutches raised a huge nodule in tendon of R. thumb. Had day surgery to remove nodule, but I thumb doesn't work the same.

Every 3 month CT's in Feb. and May of 2007 caught a lymph node enlarging in thoracic area, needle biopsy positive, and surgery to remove it.

Another year later, 2008 with regular CT's, another single was found in the low abdomen. PET scan positive and another surgery.

Since that time, there have been many tests, tests, tests. Some CT's, some chest x-ray with US of abdomen, more CT's, a few boipsies (thyroid) endoscopy (throat), mammograms and their unwelcome recalls. Every 4-6 month checks and labs.

Finally , in October 2022, my Onc. looked at my record and said that I didn't need a CT and wouldn't have to return for a year. He didn't say I was "cured". More like the data does not indicate the Big C is not likely to re-emerge.

More like I am almost 80 years old and have "aged out". It's the closest thing to good news I've heard from that office in Years and Years.

I've lost a number of friends on this board. Beaver Dam! And a good friend here is dealing with multiple myeloma. Yuck.

So, to you newbies on the board, have HOPE.

And Happy Valentines Day.

donna_lee

Comments

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member

Hi Donna, great to hear from you. Congratulations on "aging out"! Thank you for your help and encouragement over the years.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member

Hi, Donna!

Like you, I don't visit the Board like I use to. I just want to echo Deanie's comment--Thank you for your help/encouragement/and "telling it like it is" attitude.

Stub

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member

Donna, I am from the uterine board but came here occasionally (starting about 10 years ago) to follow someone who is no longer here. It has been a couple years since I last visited but I remember you well and am delighted to read your update. You rock!

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,062 Member

Donna, so happy to see you!

Glad to hear you are in good health, and sorry to hear about your friend with myeloma

• donna_lee

Thanks for good wishes. I take anything I can get.

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member

Donna! Awesome - aging out sounds like the best.

Hope you and your family are well!

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 321 Member

Hi Donna I just read your post haven’t been on here in awhile I’m so happy you got good news even though your 80 your still young congratulations on the good news

• donna_lee

Annnnnd, enter the follow up villain. Blood tests and eGFR. I have been seeing a Nephrologist for about 2.5 years, with more frequent lab tests for him. Six weeks ago, my eGFR was 27, so he ordered one for this past week and wants to see me again in another 3 months. This week, it was a 30. Yay! That keeps the Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) in the 3B level.

Because I have low RBC and WBC counts, he wants me to make sure I eat more protein, but that also causes a variance in the creatinine level, and the eGFR. It's like walking on a Balance Beam all the time. (And I've done that in gymnastics, and when I judged meets.-not fun.)

I'm proud to say my one kidney is now 80 years old, but keeping up the higher test readings is not easy.

We are here on the southern Oregon coast-today it is windy, rainy, and sometimes coming down with hail and snow. Sorry to those who are in snow, floods and all the other types of weather in the US,

Thanks for listening,

Donna

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member

Always great to hear from you, Donna. Happy 80th - and here's to many many more!

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member

So glad to see your postDonna, many of us are not visiting as often now, and we all understand.

Wanna say an early Happy Birthday for your Big 80, and wish you lots of joy and good health!