New to breast cancer

Srichard
Srichard Member Posts: 24 Member
edited October 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

I am starting treatment for my stage 1 breast cancer next week and am having a hard time accepting that I will be losing my hair. I know the most important thing is my health, but it's still hard to accept.

I am also having a lot of nervousness about the side effects. Also worried about how I will keep up with work even though everyone at work has been really great. I guess it's just the uncertainty of it all.

I am usually a really strong person, but this has really taken me back a bit and I'm really scared.

I know I will get through this and so many others have it so much worse, still hard to accept.

Just nice to get my feelings out.

Comments

• CarrieF4
    CarrieF4 Member Posts: 18 Member

It is totally understandable to be scared. We all are. I am also stage 1 and currently going through treatment. I just finished chemo the beginning of January and I am having surgery in two days. I will say that once my treatment started I was a little less nervous. I felt like something was being done and not just sitting waiting for it to spread. If you are worried about hair loss look into cold caps. I did not use it and I did lose my hair but people seem to have success with it.

• Srichard

Yes I have read about the cold caps and plan on asking the doctor about it. I must admit I am ready to get the first treatment out of the way so I can move forward.

Reading about other experiences really helps.

• Fippyn
    Fippyn Member Posts: 2 Member

I feel the same way Carrie! I'm 7 weeks out from bilateral mastectomy (ATM gene mutation). My lymph nodes were positive so I'm starting TC chemo on Thursday. My sister went through the same thing and was allergic to taxol so had to go on adriamycin. I hope I don't have the same issues. Fingers crossed. I bought lots of caps to get me through the hair loss period - which is way longer than I had hoped. My hair stylist is giving me a buzz cut on Feb. 18 before my long hair starts falling out in clumps. That would be horrible. Best of luck with your treatment! Please know you aren't in this alone. We're sisters in this journey and we'll make it through. Hugs!!!

• GHGH
    GHGH Member Posts: 1 Member

Very same thing with me. The hair loss was so upsetting, which I would think is pretty normal for women. Have tissues handy this weekend when you cut it. This will be very emotional for you and for your husband. Mine cried along with me. And that's okay. Two things....1) tears cleanse the eyes and the heart, and 2) the caps are great and easy to find online. I would also consider getting a cute wig in case you have to attend some function(s) where you don't want to wear a cap (I had just started a new job in a new state). Hint, go to a good, reputable wig shoppe because a good fit is so necessary. And lastly, you'll be surprised at how quickly your hair grows back after your last cycle. Eyes on the finish line! You've got this!

Prayers & hugs!

• CarrieF4

Hopefully you don’t have the same issues with Taxol. Good luck with everything. Sisterhood

. 😊

• CarrieF4

I’m glad you got started on treatment. Hopefully you will feel less anxious about the whole process. I ordered some baseball caps with hair on Amazon. They were cheap like $25. They worked well for a while but I ended up breaking down and buying an expensive wig. Ask you insurance if they cover cranial prosthesis and you can get get reimbursed from insurance. Mine didn’t cover it but they said most do. Good luck with everything and feel free to contact and chat. Carrie

• angelas01
    angelas01 Member Posts: 11 Member

Hi, I, too, was scared of losing my hair. I lost my hair around the third treatment of chemo. It was devasting, but I thought of life, my health, and overcoming side-effects. I ordered a wig and caps before losing all my hair which helped tremendously. It is hard to accept, but the positive outweighs the negative of losing my hair. I still have two treatments before surgery and radiation. Thank you for expressing yourself. Lots and Hugs and Prayers, my survivor sister. We Got This!!

• Srichard

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and wisdom, it helps so much to share with others going through this.

It's tough, but WE WILL get through this 💪🌹

• kpezold
    kpezold Member Posts: 3 Member

My surgery was in May 2022 and Chemo from June-August. I was very stressed about losing my hair too. Unfortunately, I was not a candidate to have it shaved because I developed some kind of reaction resulting in red splotches all over my head (over 100 of them). I’m still wearing turbans and scarves, although my hair started to grow back finally. It’s completely gray, which is a real shock to me. I had medium brown hair before, but I had been coloring it for years. I am really struggling coloring my hair because of the chemicals (and the shock factor from everyone, especially my students, if I leave it gray). After chemo, I feel like my body has had enough chemicals. I have not really found a support group, so this discussion board is a nice discovery.

• Patty_BC2new_her2_AK
    Patty_BC2new_her2_AK Member Posts: 2 Member

I'm just starting my first round of treatment for a second BC. I had a stage II over 21 yrs ago, same breast. This one is considered a new cancer. They're both invasive ductal carcinoma, but this one is HR-/Her2+; exactly the opposite of the first one those years back. One thing the 2 treatments have in common is the use of Taxol which causes hair loss. It was very emotional to lose my hair at 47, my hair was long and thick. I did as suggested and had it cut shorter before the nadir, about 3 weeks after the first chemo infusion. It was less traumatic than to have my long hair break off everywhere. It felt very weird when it started, the hair poked my scalp. I must have shaved my head, but I don't recall it. So please know that as time passes the intense emotions from these experiences do dull. My hair grew back curly at first then wavy and thick as before.👍️

In 2001 I was able to get a free wig from the ACS wig exchange in our state's largest city which is about 4 hours from my home. It may be available to you in your area. Not available here now sadly, but I found great resources on the ACS website. Click the tab at the top "Programs and Services". Enter wig in the search engine and there are several sources there for purchasing new, getting one from an exchange, and applying for a no cost cap w/real hair or purchasing it. I also found 2 online websites with discounts on brand name wigs - wigoutlet.com and wigs.com; 30 day return and no restocking fees. There are no wig shops where I live and free shipping from those online stores are for the contiguous states only, so not for me. Amazon has reasonably priced caps and hats, just check that the items are eligible for return.

I looked into cooling caps, but no infusion centers offer them here. Do some research before you decide to buy the inexpensive ones.

I was in disbelief that this was happening again. But, by recalling what I went through before and other difficult things I have been through in my life I realized that "I can do hard things." It's my mantra now. It's helped me accept what is and find ways to reduce stress. My priorities through the treatment is to make informed decisions about my treatment, seeking out ways for self-care, and asking for and receiving help from loved ones, people, and organizations that are here for we sisters. It's so great to realize that when I feel down, I can receive strength and support from others.

Thank you for reaching out and thanks to our other sisters who are sharing experiences and support.💖

Be well,

Patty

• Srichard

So sorry to hear of your of your second BC diagnosis Patty, I can only imagine how hard that was hear. I pray that you have a positive outcome.

On Sunday I noticed the start of my hair shedding and since then now coming out in small clumps. I had already went ahead and cut it short and tonight will have my husband go ahead and give me the buzz. I knew it was coming and now that it is here, I am of course still a little depressed. All my friends tell me the important thing is my health which of course we all here know that is true, still sucks though.

I do know this too will pass and my hair will grow back. I have actually been looking at buzz cut pics and there are really some beautiful styles out there for when it starts to grow back.

I go for my 2nd treatment next week, then 2 more after that then radiation. A long road ahead, but I am bound and determined to not get defeated!!

Prayers and hugs to you all ❤️🙏

• Srichard

Hello everyone.

I have recently noticed my finger nails have started turning brownish black at the nail bed after my 3rd chemo treatment, wondering if anyone else experienced this?

• Basils
    Basils Member Posts: 14 Member

I too am having trouble realizing there are no support groups at the medical facility I am being treated at. I decided to make flyers and put them in the surgical oncologist offices. Not sure if I should ask permission or casually leave them in the waiting rooms in case they say no. I want some friends to go through this with.

• Basils
    Basils Member Posts: 14 Member

Here's a great video that may help

https://youtu.be/VJOmrUgHfLc

• Hers2pCS
    Hers2pCS Member Posts: 2 Member

Srichard,

I lost my hair. My hair was getting thin. I would brush it and more would come out after 3-4 months of chemo treatments. I told my husband to shave it. It took me awhile to accept the bald look. I was so use to having black hair from hair dye. Now it’s black and grey. It’s been 6 months and it’s about an inch in growth all around my head. Now I’m considering when to dye it again.

Each of our cancers will affect us differently. I was in denial and even though I’m still going threw it.

I just take it one day at a time. I have to remember to take it easy when I’m especially fatigue. To eat right and exercise when I can. A schedule helps.

A friend told me to laugh twice a day. I watch a funny movie and listen to music that’s touched my soul.

Journaling my experiences with this disease and life, self help books and feeding my spirit with bible verses has gotten me through the tough times tremendously.

Whatever works for you. I hope me sharing helps.

Teresa

• Srichard

Hi. Yes sharing your experience really does help. It is a comfort to know I am not alone in this journey. I have finished my chemo and will start radiation soon. I can tell my hair is slowly starting to grow back. I know our health is the most important thing, but the losing the hair part really brought me down.

I too am taking it one day at a time and trying to stay positive, I do realize it could have been so much worse!

Thank you for sharing and I wish the best for you in the remainder of your journey 🌹

• Buddybutton
    Buddybutton Member Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2023 #20

I know it's scary and hard to comprehend exactly how you'll feel my first time through chemo (from Colon cancer) touching cold things was a problem, tiredness I spent a lot of time napping in front of the computer. I know this go round with the breast cancer I've had my breasts removed discomfort from that, but that's pretty much gone now.Odd things from this chemo Please if you haven't had it done and your Dr. has said hair loss is inevitable have your hair zizzed.I thought I'd have a bit before that started but 3 weeks in it happened, got in to have a shower got out to towel off and looked like a hairy sasquatch.What a mess 😂.Smells really bother me this go round.Taste not so much.Now hair wise a beautiful bald head gives you a chance for a bit of experimentation.Have a beautiful henna art piece done on it. There are henna artists all over good part unlike a traditional tat they only stay for a bit.Look at Joann's or Michaels for henna reference pattern books, find something you like, take it with you.Or there are a lot of really pretty head wraps also.Remember it's not forever it will grow back.REMEMBER You are a beautiful sexy woman with or without hair

• SoBless0304CloveHer
    SoBless0304CloveHer Member Posts: 1 Member

Buddybutton. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I truly appreciate you. Wishing you a speedy recovery. I love your sense of humor and your approach towards the beautiful bald head, your hair will grow back even more lovely. I have never heard about doing henna, I will definitely look into that. I am staring chemo 6/26/23 stage1 invasive breast cancer. Since being formally diagnosed (4/18/23) surgery 5/5/23 this is the first time entering this site. Reading your post really helped me. Best regards to you i🌹🌻