Newly Diagnosed and freaking out

stanleycat
stanleycat Member Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2022 in Lung Cancer #1

Due to history of smoking, I was diagnosed with probable lung cancer last week and am waiting to hear back from the cancer center to schedule an appointment with an oncologist. At the hospital they did an xray and a CT scan and found a mass in my right lung and I have a good sized lump on my neck. I am so stressed about this and can only think of the worst because I already feel so lousy. Is it possible that I am already dying? Could it have gotten that bad that fast? I am having a lot of trouble breathing and just feel very unwell. Is this normal?

Comments

• chuckmeek01
    chuckmeek01 Member Posts: 2 Member

You can only wait until all the tests are run, and then you will have the facts you need and the hope that your cancer is treatable, I too was recently diagnosed and have begun chemo which was not really all that bad plus the first round has helped. I feel better just knowing that there is treatment available and a good plan will help you beat this thing!

• stanleycat
    stanleycat Member Posts: 2 Member

Thanks chuckmeek01. Did you, or do you, have trouble breathing? My mass s wrapping around my airways making breathing very difficult at times, plus I am coughing without the ability to cough anything up. I hope it's treatable. They haven't been able to help me much with breathing and coughing, making it hard to believe they'll be able to help me at all.

• chuckmeek01
    chuckmeek01 Member Posts: 2 Member

The best thing I did and the most effective thing better than any treatments in the world was to immediately quit smoking and endure that process as well. Within a few weeks my cough was completely gone. Up until that point I was taking the codeine based cough medicine which worked pretty well. Also was prescribed the breo inhaler which helped with the breathing.

Where are you in the diagnosis process? Have you had a PET scan, an biospy to determine what type of lung cancer you have. These factors will determine the course of your treatment.

• Sharon5922
    Sharon5922 Member Posts: 20 Member

Don't just sit there untreated. There is help for "shortness of breath" even for smokers. Sounds like an inhaler (albuteral is standard) will help you with that. I am a former daily smoker. I only quit because I saw the writing on the wall for lung cancer and was preparing for surgery. Very difficult but not impossible. Start counting and cut your cigs in half. Once you get used to less cigs, then cut out a couple more every day or week as you can handle it. Even if you have to use both the patch and Chantix to do it. (which is what i did). FYI chantix will give you vivid dreams so make your last daily dose at dinner cause you don't want it too close to bed time and this will help with that wierd side effect.

• Sharon5922
    Sharon5922 Member Posts: 20 Member

Also, another tip on quitting... Dont fall for the Marboro special of buying 2 at a time for the 2 dollar discount. I firmly believe this helped push me up to 2 packs a day. Once you start trying in earnest to quit and find yourself needing "just one more" and heading out to buy a pack in order to smoke "just one" ... well... buy the cheapest pack you can. I guarantee you it will be tasting nasty. You can then wrap it in aluminum foil and hide it in the freezer. Much better to have that last cig be a nasty one and if you do find yourself smoking then having 4 one day and a few the next, this not as bad as smoking the full pack like usual. *but is does pick up the cravings so commit yourself to that pack being the last pack even if you do smoke 'em!