Esophageal cancer would like to talk to someone on phone old fashion

Stratton394
Stratton394 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2022 in Esophageal Cancer #1

I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer jan 25,2022,I have completed all radation and chemo ,I also had covid on top of it,I've lost 65lbs and had a stent placed that made it difficult to eat,I am now starting rehab and starting to get some strength back,I am scheduled for surgery in june,I am 77 years old and have been self employed my whole life and have been in control, now I find my self needing help and someone to talk to because I can not control my cancer ,I have a wife that supports me 100% but I would like to talk to other survivor's and patients, I'd like to discuss future and feelings Thank you

Don

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member

Hi Don,

I would be happy to talk with you. I had my EC treatment and esophagectomy 12 years ago but the surgery has not changed much over the years. I would also add that the EC group at smartpatients.com has a twice weekly Zoom meeting for folks in treatment.

Zoom meeting? (#482 552 6700, pass code 8417 - Weds 6pm and Sun 9am Eastern)

I am sending a private message with my email address and phone number.

Regards,

Paul

• Frakat
    Frakat Member Posts: 9 Member

Hi Don,

I am three and a half months post surgery for esophageal cancer and went through radiation and chemo prior to my surgery. I would be happy to speak with you over the phone. Send me your contact info and a good time to talk. I am on the east coast.

Frank

• Stratton394
    edited May 2022 #4
  • Grouse4
    Grouse4 Member Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2022 #5

Hi Don, had my surgery in December. Slow recovery but cancer free. Feel free to call. My husband and family very supportive but it helps to talk to someone who has same diagnosis. Surgery was performed at Mass General and successful. Maureen. (content removed by CSN)

• Stratton394

Paul

Is the number for the zoom meeting the same every Wednesday? I would like to join the call this Wednesday

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member

Don

Zoom info:

ID - 455 028 4795

Passcode - tuiBE5

Sunday, 9am Eastern

Wednesday, 6pm Eastern

• Frakat

Hi Don.

We previously spoke over the phone and I Was thinking of you and was wondering how you're doing.

FRANK

• Stratton394

I am doing best I can two months since my surgery and I'm eating small amounts ,still have j tube at nite.still very weak feel like I'll never get my strength back most people say it will take at least 4 months to feel almost normal.hope u are well and doing good

• Frakat

Hey Don. Good to hear from you.

It took me up until the third month after surgery to feel like I was turning a corner. I always felt weak because I had bathroom issues, which is a result of this surgery. After seeing an oncology nutritionist, she was able to give me something to help slow down my bathroom issues. At that point, I was able to eat a little more and keep it in a little longer for my body to absorb the nutrients. Feeling weak from all these bathroom issues, at that point, I was able to get some strength back.

She prescribed Banatrol Plus, a medical oncology food, which can be used with a J tube feeding or in a smoothie, which is the way I used it. Talk to your oncologist about it, as it may help you. It did wonders for me.

If you or your wife want to speak with me further, don't hesitate to reach out.

Best Wishes, FRANK

• Grouse4
    Grouse4 Member Posts: 13 Member

Hope all is well, Maureen